Do you sink in sea water?

Travel discussion for St. John
dreamshark

Do you sink in sea water?

Post by dreamshark »

I sure as heck don't - I pop to the surface like a cork, whether I want to or not. But I've always been pretty well-padded, so what do I know? As a kid I was quite surprised to learn that there are people who are so skinny that they actually do sink to the bottom in fresh water unless they stay in constant motion. .

But salt water is different. In fresh water my legs gradually sink if I don't kick, but in the sea my entire body rides over the surface of the water like a big water bug, legs and all. So I'm wondering - are any of you so lean and wiry that you would not stay afloat if you didn't wear a snorkel vest? If you roll over on your back and extend your arms, can you float?

I don't have an agenda, just curious. Oh, okay, I'm wondering if there is any actual physical reason for snorkel vests or if they're just to make people feel safer.
RickG

Re: Do you sink in sea water?

Post by RickG »

One of our travel buddies, Fat Pat, is a sinker. He's slim and fit. He definitely needs flotation to snorkel.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

Hubby is a floater....he can lay in the water all day never move and just bob like a cork !!! Me...I SINK feet first. I have to keep moving to float. Can't figure it out either. I say I bob head up because my Brain is soooo big and full of knowledge...he says it's cause my head is full of air and the rest of me is so full of crap ! :roll:
" I believe there's Magic here...."
mit43

Post by mit43 »

Fat Floats.........Therefore, I Float.......
Tim
Just Another Day in Paradise!!!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I float. For me, snorkeling feels about the same as lying face down on the sofa. The view, of course, is much better! I think I would panic in waves, though, if I got caught in a current.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

My hubby sinks like a rock, butt first then thighs. We attribute it to high muscle mass from years of mountain biking. I on the other hand could float to Puerto Rico NO problem!
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

I often say that I am my own Personal Flotation Device. It's handy most of the time, but if I do want to dive down to see something a bit closer, I always bob back up to the top. So, I have a little bit of stored energy. :roll: :roll:
Jeff&Cindy

Post by Jeff&Cindy »

Crap. I thought I had finally found my 'special talent'. I can float all day long. I guess there are others... :( - Jeff
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

Lovermont wrote:I often say that I am my own Personal Flotation Device. It's handy most of the time, but if I do want to dive down to see something a bit closer, I always bob back up to the top.
Exactly! This is why I was so baffled by the snorkel vests - I'm already trapped on the surface, and I want to dive! I finally realized that what I needed was a weight belt (5 pounds seems to be about right). But I must admit that when I'm wearing the weight belt, keeping my face above the waves when I'm adjusting my mask, etc. is significantly harder. That must be what it's like if you AREN'T blessed with your own PFDs, eh?

After reading all the commentary about dangerous currents, I have concluded that it would probably be best to leave the weight belt behind if I ever get around to snorkeling Waterlemon Cay. But I really don't think I need a snorkel vest.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Yes, rolling on one's back and floating is generally available to most of us. The problems that are difficult to overcome are high seas and panic caused by overexertion.

Sometimes the waves keep us from making progress, they fill the snorkel tube with water, and they can make it difficult to float.

The panic is the bigger problem. When we tire, fail to make progress and feel we are out of control, the panic sets in.

Dreamshark, the situation quickly gets out of control if we feel like the current is pulling us out to sea. Resting or floating will not help when we see the shoreline getting further away.

The best way is to keep from getting in that situation. Knowing one's limitations and staying well within them.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Sorry, it posted twice. :oops:

JIM
Last edited by jimg20 on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

I sink like a stone. Hubby could float all day.
I don't use any floation device when I'm snorkeling close to shore, but if I planned a deeper water snorkel, I would prefer to have something available to hang onto just in case.
Tickerless :(
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

I can float in any position, anywhere, with zero effort, front, back, side, "sitting" position - anything. Salt water or fresh, waves or calm. Of course I agree with the others - free diving is quite an effort - but I guess I would take that over sinking.

I would blame my fat (I'm not exactly a petite girl), but pre-kids when I was super skinny, I still had this ability, so I don't think it's about the fat at all.
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Back in my pre middle age my skinny body floated with no effort in fresh and salt water. Thirty pounds later I still float forever.
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

I grew up in the water...at the lake (fresh water) and at the beach (salt water, of course). I can float all day long, no problem, no effort whatsoever. So peaceful!