Discount Car Rental STT

Travel discussion for St. John
drd434

Discount Car Rental STT

Post by drd434 »

I received a quote from Discount Car Rental on STT for 11-days/10 nights of $373 total for a 2-door, 4-wheel drive, soft top Jeep rental in August.

This is about $250 cheaper than any quotes I have received from STJ car rental companies.

Does anyone have a recent positive or negative experiences with this company?

Just figured I would ask before I make the reservation....

Thanks,

~DRD
ccinhbg

Re: Discount Car Rental STT

Post by ccinhbg »

It has been a couple of years since we rented through Discount. Service was always good but the last time their jeeps seem to be a bit more beat up. The remopvable hardtop was strapped on because the latch was broken. Lots of dents and scratches on the vehicle.

We switched to Dependable based on reviews and have had great service and the jeeps seemed to be taken carte of better.

Have been reading good things about Amalie but haven't used them. Their prices seem to be higher.
kma27

Post by kma27 »

We actually rented from them for some time but when the ownership changed hands we found the cars to be in poor shape also. As already stated, they are pretty beat up outside as well as inside. We don't use them anymore.
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

I have used Discount twice on my two previous trips (this time we went with Amalie as the prices were equal). We had no problems with Discount and would rent from them again if I needed a large vehicle. They are a little rough around the edges (but that seems to be a theme with most car rentals aside from Amalie). They are on island time. The two vehicles we rented (a Liberty and a Durango) were fine, a little scratched up, but fully functional. The only problem is that if the vehicle breaks down on STJ you are on your own. That's why Amalie BRAND NEW vehicles are ideal. But, for that price, it seems like a steal.
Tickerless :(
KAY

Post by KAY »

We rented a 4dr jeep from Discount last year and were happy with the vehicle and service. They were friendly, accomadating, prompt with emails and phone calls. We spent our first night on St Thomas and they picked us up the following morning from Windward Passage and transported us to their business. We are renting from them again in 10 days. That sounds like a great price!
scoob

Post by scoob »

Rented from Discount in February (Presidents week) and had a great experience with them. $650 for the week. Staying on STT at Bluebeards Castle.
We had a Nissan Pathfinder reserved (party of 6),pickup curbside was easy and the business transaction was painless. Very nice women to deal with .
I wasn't crazy about the brakes on it- went a little too close to the floor for me.
The next morning I called and told them my concerns and they swapped it out for a new Chevy Traverse. It was a huge upgrade with no cost to me !
Had plenty of room and third row seating for the boys and I felt very comfortable driving it. It had good power and took the hills like a champ :D .
Took it to St. John on the car barge, spent the day beach hopping and enjoying the switchbacks on North Shore Road !!!
Very good experience with Discount.

Scoob
drd434

Post by drd434 »

Thanks for the replies. I called Discount and made the reservation through them. I was told that they incorrectly quoted me a price for a week rental....but that they would honor the quoted price for the 11-day rental.... Seems too good to be true!

I will post our experience with them after we complete our vacation....but that will have to wait another 139-days!

~DRD
Myheart'sinSTJ

Post by Myheart'sinSTJ »

Yeah, that price did seem awfully cheap for 11 days. I to have used Discount 2 times and had absolutely no issues at all with them, we are also thinking about going down in August, watching the airfare closely. I've learned to book my air first then my villa. Have a wonderful trip although it is a little ways off! :D