Why do kids like St. John so much?

Travel discussion for St. John
Littlecheeze

Why do kids like St. John so much?

Post by Littlecheeze »

With me being 13, I don't even think I can answer this question myself. St. John seems like a very laid back, adult island. Even on Spring Break when I've been going for 11 years with Bigcheeze, St. John seems to have more adults than kids on it. You would think I would like to go somewhere more "Kid-friendly" like Disney. Ever since when I was even just 3 or 4 years old, I've loved St. John. Is it the beaches? The quiet town of Cruz Bay? Just thinking of St. John gives me a happy, excited feeling. When I think of Disney or Florida, "too busy" always comes to my mind. We're even going to Hawaii next year, and I'm a little sad about it. I think the reason I love St. John is it's Not so "Kid-friendly", it's so private, and almost no one knows about it. Every year, I used to tell my friends "I'm going to St. John for Spring Break." They thought I meant the town in Michigan, not the tropical island. I now just say "I'm going to an island a little south of Puerto Rico." The reason I think I love St. John so much is just the feeling of the island. The sunny days (Even though the weather always says a 60% chance of rain), and yes the beaches, Cruz Bay, getting a villa, and just walking around everywhere in a swimsuit and a cover up. I love the laid back Caribbean style, and the gentle Eastern trade winds blowing by. I love everything about St. John, and I hope it stays the same throughout my whole lifetime. (Except, the new North Shore Road is pretty nice, and that AWESOME cart corral at Starfish Market. :lol: ) So don't ask your kids "Why do you like St. John so much?" You'll just leave them with a confused look on their face. :? ~Littlecheeze
"Changes in latitude changes in attitude"

michigan girls

Re: Why do kids like St. John so much?

Post by michigan girls »

I'm bringing my 14 year old with me this year - I hope she feels the same way as you. I have been a little worried that it will be too laid back and quiet for her :) Yeah, St John, Michigan (although lovely in the fall) is not quite the same!
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Littlecheeze...can I hire you to run my ad agency. You are already a better writer than your 'Hack' Dad. You make me so proud and so excited to be on the island with you. Let's swim with some more turtles, rays, barracudas and I'll let you try to beat me at backgammon...hahaha.

We'll get an apartment after your senior year and live on the island while you run the bar and I do the charter boat. I'll be fair with my fee to be the CEO...LOL
Nancie-Pa

Post by Nancie-Pa »

I like your attitude and point of view Littlecheeze!
Enjoy your vacay and maybe you can write a trip report when you get back.
Friends, they go away then they re-appear...I believe there is Magic here.
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

You are wise beyond your years. Our daughter has been going to St John since she was five...she loves it as well...
54b

Post by 54b »

Good question and good post, Lil' Cheeze...overall I'd say it's because kids get to take a break from training (school, chores, etc.) to become the adults they'll one day have to be while getting to enjoy their parents being the people (happy, carefree, outgoing, etc.) they always want to be...

And while that may be true of vacationing in general, I think STJ's less cluttered, more laid back atmosphere facilitates it better than most...particularly for adults like your Dad.

Here's how my seven, now eight year old would answer your question...

http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/virgi ... =1&t=23555

Have another great trip to the Rock. And don't forget to hug your Dad a few times during it. You're one lucky 13-year old.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

My niece and nephew are around your age (11 and 14). I used to take them to Disney every year , but started taking them to St. John instead a couple of years ago, and now as far as they are concerned if they never see Disney again that is just fine.

They love St. John because the beaches are not as crowded as back home, the water is warm, the surf is calm, the snorkeling is good, the island is beautiful, and there is always something new to explore. They also really like eating out! Their favorites are Shipwreck Landing and Miss Lucy's.

Like you, they love staying in a villa, having space to spread out, and having a pool to play in. When we used to go to Disney we rented vacation homes with pools each time and it almost always went unused--we were too busy running around the parks commando-style. On our St. John trips the pool gets used every day.

Have a great trip!
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Caw954s

Post by Caw954s »

Love that littlecheeze and bigcheeze!! Does my heart good... :D
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

I am another St. John lover, but I moved to Southwest Florida a year ago, and have learned to love Florida. If all you ever see in Florida is Orlando and Disney, you've missed the best parts! Florida will never replace the from shore snorkeling or the turquoise water of St. John, but give the Gulf of Mexico a chance one day. You will find more seashells than will ever fit into your pockets, the Everglades are so beautiful and the alligators and a gazillion species of birds are wonderful! I don't know if I'll ever be able to get back to St. John, but if I can't, SW Florida is a nice 2nd! :D Have fun and soak up St. John every chance you get, I have a feeling that someday you'll be running a charter boat business there!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Have fun on St. John, Little Cheese. We'll be on island the same time, and keeping an eye out for you. You are quite the articulate young'n!
Nancie-Pa

Post by Nancie-Pa »

Hey Margo, if you're reading this please post your blog address again. I used to follow you,then my computer crashed and I lost all my favorites. I miss reading about all your adventures in Florida. Thanks.
Friends, they go away then they re-appear...I believe there is Magic here.
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

Here is her blog, I enjoy hearing about her move also : http://floridadventure2012.wordpress.com/
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

My youngest, who Little Cheeze has met ,loves St John. My oldest kind of protested going for awhile stating " I've been to the Caribbean" and kind of had the Been there done that attitude! Until he went for my birthday this past June!! As soon as he was island for about ten minutes - he got the difference!!! I think kids don't always want to be " in your face commercial , on the go, craziness"
The laid back , take a nap on the beach, or jump in the water, or hang out and watch the donkey cross a road feel of the island is a nice change from technology of mainland USA!!
I am glad they both love it now and we have their blessings for the future! :D
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I asked our 7yo why he liked STJ (he has been going since 4.5 mo) and he said:

the beach
building sandcastles
snorkeling and seeing turtles
swimming with the stingray (at Francis this year)
chasing chickens
being with mom and dad all day
lobster at Morgan's Mango but not the lobster at Lime Inn (so specific!)
lots of Ting (he is allowed an almost unlimited supply on STJ)
wearing shorts every day

He is lobbying for Virgin Gorda next trip because he sees the pictures from the trip when he was 3yo. I am trying to figure out how to split the trip with minimal travel fuss.
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

I don't want to hijack this thread, but thanks Nancie-Pa & cocosmom! Thanks for providing the link too!

I've slowed down a lot on the blog, but will probably post a new installment in the next few days.... we're still loving and exploring Florida! :D Here's a link to the most recent post: http://floridadventure2012.wordpress.co ... n-fun-fun/