Salomon Beach

Travel discussion for St. John
Jeff&Cindy

Re: Salomon Beach

Post by Jeff&Cindy »

As I understand it, there's 3 options. 1) park across from Mongoose and walk in (trail map in earlier post/) (but there's never a spot to park there) or 2) go up to the top and pull into the parking by the National Park sign and hike down in (we did that a few times last week -- a bit of a hike carrying stuff), or 3) walk in from Caneel/Honeymoon (which also looks like it is up and over some terrain -- haven't done it yet)

I love this beach because it seems the challenge of getting to it reduces the number of people.
PaminMaine

Post by PaminMaine »

We plan to walk in from Caneel to Honeymoon.. I am a little confused , can I walk from Honeymood to Salomon? Or would I need to snorkel over ?
dreamshark

Post by dreamshark »

mindehankins wrote:We've been to Salomon and Honeymoon a few times, Dreamshark. I think you'd have to walk back the way you came, walk on to Caneel (which is an easy enough walk), or walk up the hill to Peace Hill (which was NOT an easy walk, but I'd had a stroke less than a year before that trip).
I want to make it there in April again, and I'll take note of how difficult the walk is, for you.
Aren't you sweet! This is all for my imaginary Cruz Bay trip that doesn't even have a year attached to it yet, so no huge rush. :lol:
My husband adores Christmas and spends all of December industriously putting out a huge lights display, but I hate pretty much everything about December and just dream of the tropics. I'm sure I could never get him to leave town that time of year, but I keep imagining taking the first week of December (before the winter rates kick in) and flying off by myself for a cheap vacation. After some discouraging reports about the Cruz Bay terrain on the TA forum, I have now shifted my imaginary lodging from Aqua Bay to Villa La Mer.

I see myself packing my snorkel gear and a light lunch into my backpack and hiking the Lind Point trail. If it's not too far to Caneel, I walk over there and check out those beaches, and get a drink at the beach bar. At that point, my imaginary self hopes there will be a taxi that will take me back to town.
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

<I love this beach because it seems the challenge of getting to it reduces the number of people.>

Unfortunately, I've never found that be true. It's such a small beach that it feels crowded to me pretty easily - and it's amazing how many people think it's a secret, lol. One day we were there and I felt like there were way too many people there and we weren't getting great sun, so we left to go to Francis and there was no one at Francis!
sherban

Post by sherban »

Today is my first time using the app but let's give this a whirl...

http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=2178042

Does the link work?
lazylane

Post by lazylane »

Check out Gerald's Singer new app St.john Off the Beaten Track! One amazing app!! Thanks for the info on Salomon. We did Honeymoon from Caneel and that is a great little walk and easy peasy!!! And one amazing beach it is! Haven't been there since the addition of the kayak's drinks, etc, so much convenience right there, love that too! :D
ms411

Post by ms411 »

Yes, sherban, the link works perfectly! I like how your photos show the shade along the trail.
I Like to KIS (Keep It Simple)