Reef Bay Trail Advise

Travel discussion for St. John
hoosierdaddy

Reef Bay Trail Advise

Post by hoosierdaddy »

So we are doing the Reef Bay Trail next month. I have read a bit about it and we are very excited, but still have a few questions.

1. Do we really need a Liter of water each? It sounds like a lot for a 2.5 mile down hill hike.
2. Should I just wear my board shorts and should the women in my group wear their swim suits under their cloths or change at the end of the hike?
3. How much time will we have to swim at the end of the hike?
4. Should I take a snorkel bag?
5. Do we need a waterproof bag to transfer to the boat?

Thanks in advance. Any tips are appriciated.
Jumbiegirl

Re: Reef Bay Trail Advise

Post by Jumbiegirl »

I would at least take 2 bottles of water for each person. It's downhill but it's hot and humid and you really should keep drinking.

I always wear my swimsuit under my shorts. We always take the boat ride back so it's not a big deal to be wet afterwards.

I wouldn't bother with a snorkel bag but it might be fun to just bring a mask in a backpack because you'll want to be able to see the reef.

As I recall we had about 1/2 hour or so snorkel time before the boat left.

The boat trips I've taken there was a dinghy that would bags and stuff that needed to stay dry and you could swim the rest of the way to the boat.
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
loria

Post by loria »

take the water--ad jumbie girl pointed out-- even though it's down hill-- it's hot-- my kids went thru all the water we had. and don't forget to bring a lunch!
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Two weeks ago, we went through 6 bottles for two adults and a child. The ranger described that day as the coolest one he would have all year. You are traveling down but the trail isn't all down hill. There are inclines as well as flat stretches. Some areas were down right hot on the ranger's "coolest day of the year."

There isn't a changing facility except for the woods! Some people on our hike did go into the woods to change. Others had their suits on under their shorts/tees.

We had about 20 minutes to swim.

I have not snorkeled there so I can't offer an opinion in the reward of carrying the bag.

The crew will take your bag in the dingy to keep things dry.
54b

Post by 54b »

I'd like to think this should be required reading before attempting the Reef Bay Hike...

http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/virgi ... ab#p153399

Sounds like you are catching the boat back instead of hiking back up, but I'd still bring plenty of water.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

OMG 54b, now I want to go back and read all of your trip reports! I can so relate to your RBT experience. We've done the trail several times before but last time almost did me in. We brought just one one half liter bottle each and it is simply not enough. I was in decent shape but dehydration is nothing to fool around with. I guess it should go without saying but if planning to hike the trail and then back up it's probably a good idea to go very light on the cocktails the night before and bring at least a liter of water per person. I learned the hard way.
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

I found this trail to be quite easy. It was a warm day when we did it, but we got up early and got down before there were many people there. On the way out there were large groups coming down - that didn't look so fun to me. The petroglyphs are amazing; if you get there alone it feels quite magical. Don't miss the huge bats in the building at the bottom. The porto-potty is DISGUSTING (and I'm not a wimp!). I wore shorts with my swimsuit. The beach is very rough on the feet - lots of broken coral - so plan accordingly. I think we just brought a bottle of water each, and a backpack with a lunch for the beach, and beach towels. On the hike out a little deer walked with us for quite a ways - it was freaky!!! Enjoy!!!
hoosierdaddy

Post by hoosierdaddy »

Thanks for the advise. I feel prepaired now. My wife likes to hike and I think this may be the highlight of her week. We will be going with the NPS so no hike back up the Stairs to Hell. :twisted:
momto3boys

Post by momto3boys »

54b wrote:I'd like to think this should be required reading before attempting the Reef Bay Hike...

http://virgin-islands-on-line.com/virgi ... ab#p153399

Sounds like you are catching the boat back instead of hiking back up, but I'd still bring plenty of water.

Love it!! We have not done the hike yet. Looking forward to it for next trip. After my Husband over did it on snow shoveling this weekend I can totally relate to your wife.:roll:
Agent99

Post by Agent99 »

We'll definitely do the hike down again someday but will take the boat back instead of hiking all the way back up.
54b

Post by 54b »

The wife still chides me about that hike to this day...and it's well deserved. To go down the trail, over to Lameshur, snorkel, back over to Reef and all the way back was like some ridiculous 10 or 11 miles in a June swelter. But if I'd been properly hydrated and eaten a little something along the way, I would have been fine just like my wife was and did.

So I don't want to scare anyone off from the hike with my idiocy or histrionics. It's really a fantastic hike. The NPS has done a great job with that trail. I've never done the guided version, but I here that's great if you're into the history and learning more about the flora and fauna.

The trip back up is definitely no joke, but it's very doable provided you stay hydrated and stick to a pace you're comfortable with.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

A kayaking trip long ago taught me never to go further than I can safely return from. We'll be doing the trip with the boat trip back, if I can remember to call in the daytime and make our reservations!!!
Dome526

Learn from our mistake....

Post by Dome526 »

We made our reservations for the NPS Guided hike, and it was terrific. The ranger was excellent, and it was an example of why to use the National Park Service Programs.

1. Do bring the water...yes, most of the hike is downhill, but there are a few uphill areas, and the end of the end goes through an open, hot, dry area.
2. Some people swam out to the boat at the end of the hike, so be prepared with swim trunks, or clothes that you don't mind getting wet. However, you can get into the dingy, and take the ride out to the boat.
3. I didn't think about snorkeling at the end of the hike, but that is a good idea.
4. Here is the mistake for you to learn from....next time I do this hike, I would bring a dry-bag. When my wife was getting into the dingy, she slipped and fell backwards....into the water. Yup, she got wet, and so did the contents of the backpack she had on. (she should have handed the backpack into the dingy first)...oh, by the way, our cameras were in the backpack. Somehow, we got VERY lucky, and the cameras did not get ruined. BUT, my cell phone REFUSED to operate after it took a bath. We bought rice, and put the cell phone is a plastic bag, but, the cell phone was dead forever.