More Park Rules

Travel discussion for St. John
Exit Zero

More Park Rules

Post by Exit Zero »

http://stthomassource.com/content/news/ ... rk-beaches

Some people will be happy and some not so much.
PA Girl

Re: More Park Rules

Post by PA Girl »

As an ex smoker that still remembers (fondly) the pleasures of a smoke and a beer on the the beach, after a couple of years nicotine free, I really dislike the chemical stentch of second hand smoke. I give a thumbs up to the restriction.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Thank God! I could not be happier about this news!

The cigarette litter problem has become so bad on STJ, and noticeably worse over the course of our 10 trips. Five years ago or so a traumatic incident occurred when my husband was lying on the beach and I found a cigarette butt stuck to his back, and since then his daily routine while on island has been to clean up cigarette butts. He keeps a count in his head and the numbers aren't pretty! I've seen them floating in the water too. Yuck.

Best news ever.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I can't complain about that.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Who are these people that put their cig butts in the sand? We NEVER did that and our smoking friends never did that either. We had dedicated makeshift ashtrays and always disposed of them properly.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

PA Girl wrote:Who are these people that put their cig butts in the sand? We NEVER did that and our smoking friends never did that either. We had dedicated makeshift ashtrays and always disposed of them properly.
The same folks who toss their butts out of the car window. Outta sight, Outta mind.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
loverotties

Post by loverotties »

Love this :D !!!
Wrinkles Only Go Where The Smiles Have Been !
needmesomesun

Post by needmesomesun »

I was so happy when they banned them in restaurants (finally could enjoy a meal!), and now this. Most importantly, our forum friends might be around a bit longer because of this. We unfortunately witnessed a long battle with cancer (caused by smoking) of a very close family member, and cared for her until the she passed. I can personally attest to the fact that is really wasn't a very peaceful passing. It makes me sad to think of anyone else (or their family) going through that.
"The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea."
~ Karen von Blixen
sherban

Post by sherban »

Thumbs up from our family....yay! :mrgreen:
lark22

Post by lark22 »

8) Happy here as well!

Cigarette butts aren't just regular trash; once they get into the ocean, they leach toxins and can harm or kill sea life.

And it's not just the cigarette butts themselves that are the issue -- I've always been amazed at how far cigarette smoke travels. When I'm on a National Park beach, immersed in St. John's astounding natural beauty, it's incredibly infuriating to be suddenly assaulted by the stench of cigarette smoke from halfway down the beach.
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

Do you think this will be enforced? My last trip down I saw a large gold chained individual flick a butt right on the beach at Trunk, it was disgusting to see someone like that. I was not able to keep my mouth shut and almost ended up in an altercation. My wife kept me calm and put me back into place. I can feel my blood pressure go up just typing this.
I hope they crack down on this!!!
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Having a 50' tape measure might become a necessary beach accessory for smokers and non-smokers alike.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Jumper wrote:Do you think this will be enforced?
I think it is going to be very difficult to enforce. Some people will see the posted signs and obey, but many others are going to just do what they want. I don't think the Park Service has the manpower to patrol the many NPS beaches to enforce this rule, or even the other, older rules. Think of how many times you have seen glass bottles on the beach, heard amplified music on the beach, seen nekkid people on the beach--all currently prohibited but only occasionally enforced. I think your best bet for a smoke-free beach is Trunk since it is a staffed beach.

Cigarette smoke aggravates my asthma so I wish it were otherwise but that is my prediction.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Great news!

According to the article, "Morris [the park’s enforcement chief] said the rangers are not currently issuing tickets but rather aiming for “community support” on this issue."

Let's hope visitors obey the ban (better for their health if they do!) and don't get grumpy if someone asks them not to smoke at the beach.
tjwgrr

Post by tjwgrr »

liamsaunt wrote:
Jumper wrote:Do you think this will be enforced?
I think it is going to be very difficult to enforce......

Citizen's arrest.... citizen's arrest......