Purchasing a beach chair on St. John

Travel discussion for St. John
ledmiston

Purchasing a beach chair on St. John

Post by ledmiston »

I am looking to buy a high-bottom beach chair when we arrive on St. John on 2/6. I am having a hip problem and will be unable to sit in the typical beach chair provided by the villa. Does anyone know where I could purchase a suitable chair? If so, phone number to call and inquire? Thanks for your help.
Pia

Re: Purchasing a beach chair on St. John

Post by Pia »

The only place I have seen them is at St John Hardware in the Marketplace but 90% of the time they have the "standard" chair and about 10% the higher beach chair that is maybe 5" or 6" higher so never a guarantee they will have them in stock.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
ledmiston

Post by ledmiston »

Thanks for your help. I emailed the hardware store to ask if perhaps they have folding lawn chairs or even those folding camping style chairs-the ones that fold up like umbrellas.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

If you can't find one to buy, perhaps you could haul along a regular plastic outdoors chair that may be at your villa. It'd be bulky, but comfortable for sitting and rising!
pswlrw

Post by pswlrw »

It couldn't hurt to ask your villa management company - they may have or have access to one.
Paula

ledmiston

Post by ledmiston »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I really appreciate everyone's help. The villa management owner offered to lend me a folding teak lounge which I think will be too heavy to lug to the beach. We're renting the same villa we rented last year. I don't recall any plastic chairs. All the outdoor furniture is gorgeous wrought iron. I'll continue to search.
visitstj

Post by visitstj »

I'm not 100% sure, but you could try K-mart, Cost-U-Less or Pueblo on STT. You might also want to consider checking one of those folding chairs that are stored in a drawstring top bag with a shoulder strap. Lastly, it might be worth a call to the gals at Island Baby on STJ [ http://www.islandbabyvi.com/]. While most of what they rent is baby "stuff", they do rent beach umbrellas, and might want to consider adding one or two of the high-bottom chairs to their inventory.
ledmiston

Post by ledmiston »

Thanks, visitstj. Because we are 4 couples, we've hired a van to pick us up at the airport. I considered asking the driver to stop at one of the places you mentioned. I happen to have one of those folding chairs with the case and handle. Right now, my plan is to take it and check it on the plane. My husband doesn't want to lug it through the airport but it seems like the easiest and cheapest solution. I will ask the management company to hold it for me for next year.
awardb

Post by awardb »

About 3 years ago, I purchased a "high-bottomed" lawn-type chair at St. John Hardware. Because we go back to the same villa year after year, the villa owners make sure it is there at our villa when we arrive. Though by this year, maybe the 4th now that I think about it, the rust will have probably done it in, so I'll have to look for another one.

When I bought it, St. John Hardware had plenty of them. Every other time I've been there, all they've had were the "lowboy" typical beach chairs.

Someone above suggested getting in touch with them and seeing if they could get one in for you might work.

I must say, every time I've been in there, they have been MOST helpful. Let us know how you make out, I'm going to need one in August!
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
Knolmom

Post by Knolmom »

You might try Chelsea Drugs too. give them a call. Bout one there 2 years ago. just returned and I asked the Mgmt company if they had one and they had it delivered to the villa. You can buy an armless one that fits into a suitcase. They have them at CVS, usually in the south. I have also carried one on the plane, but they usually don't challenge me as I am HC and arrive in a wheelchair. I will need to get one for our July trip. please let me know how you make out.
awardb

Post by awardb »

Well, to finish this question, I emailed St. John Hardware some time back, and they've been very helpful. They ordered in some chairs of the style we've discussed in this post. I'm buying 2, they have one left and would be happy to order more. So for all of us who want a little "height' to our beach chair, and aren't really happy with the "low-slung" typical beach chairs, happiness is at hand!

I just received an email today from Terry at St. John Hardware, telling me they've got the one left in stock and can get more in about 2 weeks.
AwardB
Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end; then stop. - Lewis Carroll
ledmiston

Post by ledmiston »

Thanks for the update, awardb. Our trip was in February and I ended up bringing the camp-type chair that folds and fits in its own case. We checked it on the plane at no cost since my husband is Elite on AA. Worked well for my situation. Since the trip, I've had hip replacement surgery so hoping beach chairs will not be an issue next year!