Newbie to St John. 64 days and counting!

Travel discussion for St. John
AllenB

Newbie to St John. 64 days and counting!

Post by AllenB »

My wife and I are anxiously awaiting our first trip to St. John. I've learned so much from this forum...what a great place! We're staying at St John Livin' villa in Coral Bay. We chose Coral bay because it's fairly away from the crowd but not too far from amenities. Couple of newbie questions for you:

1. What are some of the better places to get groceries in Coral Bay? We're going to try and eat out for dinner and lunch about every other day.
2. Is there somewhere on the island to rent snorkel gear? I don't want to lug it from Ohio.
3. What is the best method of payment for such things as lunch out, drinks, groceries etc? We've got a Mastercard but do we need travelers checks? Cash?
4. Where can I find a Cruise schedule? Trying to avoid the masses ;-)

Allen
Teresa_Rae

Re: Newbie to St John. 64 days and counting!

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Anthony has the cruise ship schedules posted above under "Trip Planning" but here's the direct link:
http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/c ... ules.shtml

I can understand not wanting to lug down a bunch of snorkeling equipment, but I'd bring your own mask and snorkel at the very least. Nothing ruins a snorkeling experience more than an ill-fitting mask. If you bring your own you can make sure to get one that fits your face...and it will pay for itself in what you'll pay for a rental. And the snorkel is small, and it's a pretty gross feeling to have a snorkel in your mouth when you can feel a bunch of other people's teeth marks.

You really only have two options for groceries in Coral Bay, Lily's which is a small grocery store, and Love City Mini Mart. I wouldn't necessarily limit yourself to Coral Bay though, you'll have to go to Cruz Bay for gas anyway.

Most places take credit cards, but some are cash only. Cash is more readily available from ATMs than it used to be, but we still bring at least a few hundred with us. I definitely would not bring traveler's checks.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
visitstj

Post by visitstj »

1. If you're coming on the car barge, get your food on St. Thomas. K-mart, Pueblo and Food Center are good places.
2. I agree with Teresa - haul them.
3. Like Teresa said - credit card and cash. No travelers checks.
4. I like http://www.ships.vi/ for cruise ship schedules. This site appears more current and up-to-date.
Caw954s

Post by Caw954s »

Hello newbie! We rented our snorkel gear from low key dive shop in Cruz bay and we could not have been happier. They fitted us for the mask, we got a snorkel, and nice fins for 8.00 a day. I loved my equipment, no leaks, no problems. If you have a really narrow face that would be hard to fit, then perhaps buying a mask would be best. But, we had a great experience renting equipment. If you haven't snorkeled before, we also hired Pam Gaffin to teach us and that was money well spent!
As far as finances, someone on this forum said "take less clothes and more cash" and we found that advice to be right on! It did seem like most dinner restaurants took MasterCard and visa...not so much discover or Amex.
We shopped at starfish market in Cruz bay...it was a good place, busy. On the 3rd floor of the building where the starfish market is located is a GREAT sandwich shop (cash only) called Sam and jacks...they had this oatmeal cookie whoopie pie dessert that I still crave :lol: .
Have a great time!! ...and have a BBC for me :wink: .
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

Crabbys watersports in Coral Bay rents snorkel gear, I agree with other as well I would try to bring my own mask if possible, I do have trouble finding one that is a proper fit.

Visa and Mastercard are accepted much more than AMEX on Island, bring extra cash.

Re: groceries, you will find all your necessities between Lily's and Love City Mini Mart, If your looking for some specialty items such as a particular wine or cheese or just a larger variety - stop at Starfish on your rides over to Cruz Bay, they have everything

I usually take a photo of Anthonys cruise ship schedule on this site with my cell and check it before heading out for the day

Congrats on the trip!
CBama

Post by CBama »

you will love Coral Bay and St John

know you will have a great time...

we rented at Crabby's ...my son had problem with his mask and he swapped it out for one that fit..

We always found what we needed at Lily's or Love City(along with ATM for cash needed)....did pick up some noodles for snorkeling at drug store in Cruz Bay..