Where to look for Octopuses?

Travel discussion for St. John
cindygad

Where to look for Octopuses?

Post by cindygad »

Where are the best places to see octopus? I have loved seeing some of your pictures but have never been lucky enough to see in St John.
Caw954s

Re: Where to look for Octopuses?

Post by Caw954s »

oooh, I would also love to see an octopus! I'll be interested to read responses too...and are they usually in deeper water?

Lindy

Post by Lindy »

My experience has been that they are in deeper water sort of off the beaten track of where most snorkelers hang out. They're pretty shy creatures so they won't reveal themselves if there's alot of activity. I've found that if I look carefully for overhangs or openings in a stack of rocks or coral on the bottom where there are piles of empty clam-type shells that I can often spot an octopus if I'm patient. That means floating on the surface for a while and just observing.....you'd be amazed at the things that take place if you just sit there and watch. As soon as you move they dart away and change their color so that they're next to impossible to see! They are incredible.
deejayjay

Post by deejayjay »

We had 2 swimming circles around us and looking us up and down. Good sized. Totally awesome. Just off the point of Little Lameshur into Europa Bay. Been back there several times without further sightings. A once in a lifetime chance.
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Try Waterlemon. I saw one there and watched it change colors as it swam.
Tickerless :(
John LMBZ06

Post by John LMBZ06 »

I also saw one at Waterlemon just a few months ago. It was pretty small.
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

This year in May, we saw an octopus at Maho Beach in very shallow water. As you are standing on the water looking at the water, it was on the right hand side about halfway out to the point. We watched it for 20 minutes or so. It was crawling (not sure that's quite the right word) around the rocks and coral in a few feet of water. It was "feeling" under the rocks and in crevices with its tentacles. It was an awesome experience to see it for such a long time. We've seen them deep in rocks, with just a little part showing at several beaches - Trunk and others. We also saw one moving around in fairly deep water at Waterlemon on the left side of the cay. As others noted, look for shells from clams and oysters that are opened and cleaned out. That's usually a sign they are out and about. I am always grateful that Capt Phil taught us how to spot them.
Last edited by AquaGirl on Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

I've seen them in very shallow water as well. I love looking for them. Just hang out and try looking for a pile or scattering of clean opened oyster or other shells. Look carefully at rock crevasses nearby the shells. The thing I always spot first are the white suckers on their legs. The rest of them blends in too well to see them.
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Thanks everyone for all the information. I saw one once in Tahiti and it was an amazing experience. We just floated and watched it for 20 min or so. It was mesmerizing .I just need to be more patient and take it all in.
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

I went forever without seeing a octipus and I spend a ton of time snorkeling. Like was said look for the empty shells. Haulover the one close to the road seems to have a bunch of locals. As soon as you hit the beach snorkel along the rocky shore and look for the empty shells. I seen 3 in one snorkel, someone else seen two more the other direction. The shellls are the key and take it slow it is amazing how they blend in.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Several times, I have seen one at Francis, to the left facing the water. They do blend in very well and looking for the pile of shells first is a good method in finding them.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Several times, I have seen one at Francis, to the left facing the water. They do blend in very well and looking for the pile of shells first is a good method in finding them.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Heres a pic from Haulover.
PICT0025-1.JPG
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

"Postby cptnkirk » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:46 am
I went forever without seeing a octipus and I spend a ton of time snorkeling. Like was said look for the empty shells. Haulover the one close to the road seems to have a bunch of locals. As soon as you hit the beach snorkel along the rocky shore and look for the empty shells. I seen 3 in one snorkel, someone else seen two more the other direction. The shellls are the key and take it slow it is amazing how they blend in."

Last year we were done with our snorkel at Haulover south when we were talking to a resident who had made the benches on the beach there. He had just came to put a fresh coat of paint on them in remembrance of his wife. He was telling us he often see's a octopus there. That's what made me wonder if they are territorial and more determined to find one this year! Thanks for the picture!