So many of the people on this forum seem obsessed with booze

Travel discussion for St. John
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

It was fun to have this thread unearthed after so long! Let's see, do I drink too much? My last visit to STJ was 2 weeks in 2008, coming up on a week in July. About 2 weeks ago I started thinking about that drink that I dearly love from the Beach Bar - Lime & Coconut. Went to their website, printed out the recipe, on to the liquor store for Cruzan Coconut, grocery store for Rose's Lime Juice and Coco Lopez, home to the blender and "Lord have mercy, slap your mama" I am back on STJ!! Amazing it took 2 years to recreate my favorite drink....oh, by the way, have you tried the new rum, The Kracken?? Wish I could clone that octopus on the bottle...perhaps my new tat wrapped around my petroglyph?? I do love the octopus, and the Cruzan and STJ.....does that make me all about the "booze?" :D :lol:
54b

Post by 54b »

Thank you, thank you for bumping this one...haven't been around the forum that long and this is the first time I'd seen it. Plus, I can't wait to show it to my wife who we just found out...is Pregnant, barely one month from the day we leave for STJ. Doh!

She's already asked me to call the Beach Bar to see if they can make a Virgin Lime N' Coconut. I told her the only thing virgin at the Beach Bar is probably the olive oil.

I think I'll get us T-Shirts...hers will read, "I'm eating for two." Mine will read, "I'm drinking for 3."

Cheers! And Happy Mother's Day!
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
bnsilly

Post by bnsilly »

I really don't know why people like to have a drink in the islands...
I don't hardly ever drink at home, but when I am in the islands, I too like to have a rum concoction. However, the other day I went to see the Chesney 3D movie and felt compelled to go home and make a painkiller. Just something about chillin, the islands, some Chesney music, and a rum drink...completely de-stresses me....
I think I need to go book a trip now.. :D
lexi

Post by lexi »

Oh JT…thank you so much for bumpin this up! I can’t believe that I’ve never read it! This is one priceless thread for a good laugh that can cause a tear or two.

Yes, my name is Lexi and this is how my day normally goes on island….

Breakfast: Coffee and/or Juice with RUM
Lunch: Diet Coke with RUM
Dinner: Any ice blended cocktail with RUM

So be it if that makes me a drunk! STJ is my getaway from everyday hectic life. If I choose to have a local (ok it’s made on St. Croix) product to enjoy myself while I take in the sights and sounds of the Island, thats for me to decide. I’m over 21 and no one is responsible for my choices except for me.

Damn, now I want a Painkiller!
Kealani

Post by Kealani »

Thanks for bumping this up I needed some good entertainment this afternoon. I only wish the OP was here- she could spend her day thinking how sad my life is. My car plate is STJ&RUM and the kicker is that I have a minivan :D
kma27

Post by kma27 »

Gosh, I guess because it's just "better in the islands". I know that I LOVE bushwackers while we're there and making them at home just isn't the same and JUST MAYBE it's because the booze is so much cheaper down there. Happy hour starts for us at home around 5:00 or so but it's much earlier when down in STT. One of our favorite times of the day is when we sit on our balcony (or wherever we are) with our drinks and watch the sun go down. I'm sure there are many other reasons but I can't think of any right now, except "we're on vacation"!!!
RickG

Post by RickG »

kma27 wrote:Happy hour starts for us at home around 5:00 or so but it's much earlier when down in STT. One of our favorite times of the day is when we sit on our balcony (or wherever we are) with our drinks and watch the sun go down.
Sun down? That's wasting some quality time. Sun up!

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
loria

Post by loria »

RickG wrote:
kma27 wrote:Happy hour starts for us at home around 5:00 or so but it's much earlier when down in STT. One of our favorite times of the day is when we sit on our balcony (or wherever we are) with our drinks and watch the sun go down.
Sun down? That's wasting some quality time. Sun up!

Cheers, RickG
Gotta say, I am firmly in RickG's camp on this one......
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
hotrns

Post by hotrns »

54b ... Sounds like you have a designated driver for the week! :D Congratulations to you and your wife!
JT

Re: So many of the people on this forum seem obsessed with b

Post by JT »

Ah, heck,I hope nobody minds me bumping this up again. It's been a while. Get yourself a Painkiller,start from the beginning, and settle in to an entertaining thread.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Bwahhhaaa, this is a great old thread. Must read through all of it now, will bring back so many memories. Cheers to all!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
ski2play

Post by ski2play »

There are far worse obsessions to have than booze and St John.
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

LMAO! That was great! I missed both previous bumps. Tons of good responses. Now, let me get back to my current read, " You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning". I may have to embroider that on a pillow.
JT

Post by JT »

I don't have to drink when I go to the islands, but I do. I don't have to watch the sunrise over East End, but I do. I don't have to snorkel out to Waterlemon Cay, but I do. I don't have to hike up to places like Brown Bay, but I do. I don't have to feel like Frodo climbing to Mt. Doom when I go up to Ram Head, but I do. I don't have to eat Vie's chicken, but I do.I don't have to hold the bar down at Shipwreck Landing, but I do. Actually, I didn't have to lie to you when I said that I don't have to drink when I go to the islands, but I did.
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
LynnieGirl

Post by LynnieGirl »

I found this thread so amusing! I'm not a big drinker (a couple of margarita's a year and a glass of wine even less) but it's been six years since I've had a Painkiller or a Bushwacker and I cannot wait! 8)

Just another day for you, you and me in Paradise...

~Tammy