WHERE is EVERYONE?

Travel discussion for St. John
Barb Y

Re: WHERE is EVERYONE?

Post by Barb Y »

So awesome to see you check in Flip Flop. You and Gromit (Bug, LMG and Vicky too)are definately among the forum members that I really miss seeing chime in on here. I hope that you are all doing well. Please send my best to Gromit and her family. I have to say I am not really a fan of the posts that have to be mean in any way. I have never really understood what people get out of doing it. I continue to enjoy reading TR's and hearing of the excitement people have when they "get it". Thanks to all of you that take the time to share a great experience or a kind word.
JT

Post by JT »

I still lurk once in a while, just to make sure everybody is still misbehaving. Wouldn't want you all any other way. I don't often post, love my memories of 5 trips to STJ, but doubt that I'll go back for a variety of reasons. I can see why people love it, I also see why others that started going long before I did get saddened by the "progress." My lovely bride and I pretty much knew on our last trip a couple of years ago and there was no place to park at Little Lameshur that it was going to be our last trip down to STJ. It's not so much that we were saddened by the changes as much as we were saddened by our memories of what was. Many of our friends that lived in Coral Bay have either moved on, or passed on. TSA and the airlines have also taken a toll on the "happy factor" of getting there, and that was part of the fun. Money is also a factor, but not an insurmountable one. I do keep in loose touch with a few folks on FB, but not too much. As to the earlier poster berating another previous frequent poster, I was taken aback. I thought that it was childish, vindictive, and uncalled for. Just my opinion, but ,hey, whatever floats your boat.
For the fun of it, someone should dig up Melanie's post about "this forum is obsessed with drinking" from a few years ago. It was a classic case of a troll getting the best,the funniest, and the worst, out of this forum.
Peace and Harmony,
JT
When you find yourself in a hole.... quit digging.
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Hi Lori! (And everyone else of course!)

I've popped in now and then but not much. Sometimes just lurking when I need a quick photo fix.

Quickie update: Gunner still going through chemo :( Delaney getting her license this week!! Nate playing lots and lots of football and basketball. And, check this: I'm the shortest one in the family now! (at 5'11".) Yep, got me a bunch of 6 footers plus. At 13 Nate's past 6'1" and no stopping in sight.

Planning a trip to Kauai in December (Flip Flop maybe we'll see you there) and best yet: back to STJ in February for my second 8 Tuff! Woo hoo! Taking the kids out of school and they'll do it with me. Gunner will be cheering us on. :) My friend who did it with me this year will be back, this time with her DH and DD along. Hoping to stay un-injured and beat this year's time. Can't wait!

Lori would love to hear about all your exciting travels. Cambodia, right? Where else?

Bummer that Vicki dropped. Miss her incredible photos.

Would love an update on baby Gromit and everyone else!

Chicagoans (Katie)
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Just so people are not totally confused, I deleted the mention of another member of this forum that was in the original reply to this topic. Maybe it was just an attempt at sarcasm and humor, but it did not come across that way here on the "Intertubes".

As to where everyone is - they are all over the place. Facebook, TripAdvisor, other websites and forums, and here. Things change, people come and go, etc. etc. Yesterday there were over 16,000 pages viewed on VIOL and 18 topics received new posts on the St. John forum. That is pretty good. Traffic has never been quite what it was since we removed the political stuff from the Off Topic Forum - but that was the right decision IMHO and my quality of life and blood pressure have been much better.

And one reason you don't see so many newbie questions is that a decent Internet search will turn up most answers, so people don't have to ask (as much) anymore.

Overall though, it is what it is. I thank everyone who keeps coming and contributing. I have been doing this now for 17 years (OMG!) - and I have no plans on quitting any time soon -
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
CBama

Post by CBama »

Thanks for all you do Anthony!!!

I don't think I could have planned my trip without the forum. I didn't ask many questions prior to my trip because most of them were already answered in other posts. Invaluable source of info......
Florida Girl

Post by Florida Girl »

Thanks Anthony. You made the right decision when it came to the political stuff, too. :)
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Anthony are you still giving tours of Florence on the side.LOL
Tom
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

Florida Girl wrote:Thanks Anthony. You made the right decision when it came to the political stuff, too. :)
same time I started jokes because political stuff was bad. :roll:
I'm mainly on off-topic as 22 months before we go back :(

We plan to stay at Grande Bay over July 4th week 2014 (voted for by wife and kids) like the idea of walking into town (six years after last trip kids and college can do that)
Also plan to skip big summer vacation next year and do a day boat trip to BVI :D

Anthony keep up the great work
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

waterguy wrote:Anthony are you still giving tours of Florence on the side.LOL
Tom I am actually thinking of getting more into that business... have to do something to pay the bills.
michigancouple

Post by michigancouple »

Thanks, Anthony, for your support and management of the forum.

I must admit, I check in daily at lunch. I don't comment a whole lot unless I think I have useful advice. Or to have a ticker check now and then. :D I am definately sucked in by the islands and love reading TR's and looking at pictures. There have been so many of you that have offered such valuable advice.

Thanks to all. Peace.
~ Nancy
MIke

Post by MIke »

This thread is great. Now if we could only here from Jorge.

Or is that a dirty word?
Connie

Post by Connie »

I miss Jorge too.

At least I can keep up on Facebook with him and Barb. Fun, good people.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Jorge deleted me from facebook. I am not sure why. Whatever.
Anyway, if not for THIS forum I would have not met the great friends that I travel to STJ with. I have found so much good information on this forum. Thanks, Anthony for all that you do! I am glad the political posts are gone too. We can have fun without politics and without being mean. :D
ruffmom

Post by ruffmom »

I am a long time lurker with few posts. It just seems that even though I have been to St John many times and love the island, everyone else answers the questions before I get to them and with better answers anyway. I suppose the forum would have more traffic if I chimed in occasionally but I want to add something worthwhile. I too miss many of the old posters who have moved on, many of them were quite entertaining! But there seems to be a good group still here and most of them seem very kind and really willing to share their love and knowledge of St John. I think this forum is wonderful for those going for the first time. That is how I found it back in the old days of AOL. So thanks Anthony for all the great memories and making my first trip to St John so much better than it would have been without the research and creating this compulsion to read about St John when I can't be there.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

ruffmom thanks - that is very nice to hear. You think you are not a prolific poster? There is somewhere here who registered the day we started with registration - over 6 years ago - and comes back regularly and is signed in (the only way I can tell) and who has never made one post! Sometimes I want to "out" the REAL lurkers! :)