Things Change...then change again--& again

Travel discussion for St. John
Lex

Things Change...then change again--& again

Post by Lex »

I was reading that one blog that asked if anyone remembered Duffy's Love Shack. I remember the Backyard. Doug and Mo used to work there. I also remember Redbeards in Coral Bay, which Doug and Mo eventually bought and turned into Skinnylegs. Then Doug died, and Mo eventually sold it. I remember being told about another place in Coral Bay, a local fish fry place, maybe past Redbeards. I have a memory of the Seaview, but can't recall if we were there on our first trip or not. And then there was The Kite, of course. That was definitely on the first trip.

Redbeard's motto was "Good enough for who it's for." A while back I found these from the Redbeard era in Coral Bay:

http://dirigonzo.blogspot.com/2010/10/g ... s-for.html

http://books.google.com/books?id=9Q7cxB ... hn&f=false

But even before Redbeards existed, Sputniks was there. I guess that Mooie's was the first (and for a while, only) public place on the island. Was Sputniks the first place in Coral Bay? Here's a really rare bit of recollection that I stumbled on:

http://www.allatsea.net/caribbean/dem-b ... ld-me-son/

From that to now. Where's it gonna go?
mfaughey

Re: Things Change...then change again--& again

Post by mfaughey »

Thanks for this post! Do you also remember the Lobster Hut (where Morgan's Mango is now located)?

Been going to St John since late 70's, was a very different place then!

Mike
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

3 Great Links --- Thank You!!!! -- spent many a day laying up those 'Cowhorns' on the beach in front of RedBeards - Danny and Tommy are both passed on as well, Les just lost his beloved Penelope a few days ago, those of us that remain are determined to sail on.
bchbum82

Post by bchbum82 »

Does anyone know what Ted is up to now? I spoke with him right before he got booted from being Serendip manager and he said he wasn't sure what he was going to do.
Timo

Post by Timo »

Wow, yes I do remember the Lobster Hut but didn't remember where in town it was located. Been visiting STJ since 1974 and yes indeed it has changed but, still remains my favorite place on earth to vaction. Returning in November after 10 years away.
Pulley

Post by Pulley »

My favorite was Luscious Licks - I think Margaritta Phil's is in the building now.
Lex

Post by Lex »

On our first trip, what is now Morgan's Mango was a place called World Headquarters. It was more bar than restaurant and had bands. I have pleasant, hazy memories of drifting back and forth between Fred's and World Headquarters, maybe stopping by Mooie's on the way. The original version of Inner Visions played at Fred's every Wednesday. They hadn't yet started touring on the mainland. The young guys hadn't even been born yet.
Lex

Post by Lex »

And I meant to ask--when was The Out and The Purple Line around and where were they?
hugo

Post by hugo »

The Out was in a building where Mongoose II is now, in the mid-1970's. The building at various times was the Downtowner, the Sandwich Shop, Mugsies, The Booze Boutique and at least one more incarnation I'm forgetting. The Purple Line was upstairs in the original Mongoose Junction, sort of where the Beauty Lounge is now....early 80s.
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

Hugo-- I think I remember often renting a small power boat from Henry Monge from the building that eventually became World Headquarters in the early-mid 1970's - was that the same area//building??
hugo

Post by hugo »

Henry ran Tradewinds Charters out of the tiny building right on the street there below Phil's. I think it's part of St John Editions now. We pushed the limits pretty often on how far --and with how many on board--we could go, in a 20ft sailboat.