Tuscany agriturismos, villa recommendations

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
djmom

Tuscany agriturismos, villa recommendations

Post by djmom »

Hi, taking a stab at info anyone might have on links to a good agriturismo or villa. My parents have been to the same agriturismo (and are actually there right now) I think it is near Siena. We might go to that one, but it doesn't have a pool and I was just curious if anyone had a place they just loved.

Here are our needs:
Needs 3 bedrooms (two need to be in the same apartment or very close by (kids).
We are flexible re. the area.
Views important.
Pool would be nice but not a deal breaker. Same with AC.
Animals/farm would be nice but not a deal breaker.
A really cool Italian family that ran the place would be great but not a deal breaker :)
My parents are probably coming with us and my mom has celiac disease. If there is a "celiac friendly" place that would be optimal, but not a deal breaker.
We love to hike and to be near great hiking areas would be optimal.

As you can see we are fairly easy to please.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
lprof

Re: Tuscany agriturismos, villa recommendations

Post by lprof »

Sounds like a fantastic journey coming up!

I think Anthony knows the folks here... may not be anything close to what you are seeking... http://borgocasaalvento.com/english/
... no longer a stranger to paradise
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

Yes I do know them - it is a great place, has many of the things you are looking for but the dietary issue may be a concern.

Also check this saved search - it is the old forum and read only but Italy has been discussed a lot over there http://bit.ly/PF8Vhv
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line
jmq

Post by jmq »

In May 2011 we stayed at a wonderful B&B farmhouse - Il Canto del Sole in Monteroni d'Arbia (near Cuna), just south of Siena. (I am not sure if an agriturismo and B&B are exactly the same).
Meets most of the criteria you mention, including an awesome pool. Very highly recommended.

http://www.ilcantodelsole.com/Inglese/index.asp

They deserve their stellar ratings on tripadvisor. Wrote about it and posted photos here on the old OT forum. Hope the link works. If it does, some comments about the B&B is at bottom of pg 1 of the post with photos and additional information on pg. 2.

http://www.virgin-islands-on-line.com/f ... griturismo

It is an easy 15-20 min south of Sienna and great access to the stunning wine country areas and Tuscan towns south of there such as Montalcino, Montepulciano, Pienza, etc.

We also had an excellent meal and wine at great prices in the charming restaurant Il Contedino that was highly recommended by the B&B owners, located close by in town adjacent to The Hotel More di Cuna. Worthy of more than one visit. This B&B will also have dinner in their dining room a few times a week that you can have for reasonable cost.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
jmq

Post by jmq »

All of that previoulsy posted info is also in the link Anthony provided. Guess I shouldve checked before I replied. D'oh!
djmom

Post by djmom »

Wow, what a great start. Can't wait to start researching! Both places look fabulous. Jmq, my daughter will be 15 and there is a photo of a young boy that has a caption that he is 15....dangerous??? Ha ha. I think the photo must be old cause he looks about 10.

We'll be going for 17 nights (ridiculous, I know) but it's a long story. Hope to go to an agriturismo for a week (with my parents and our kids,) then a few nights and hiking in Cinque Terre, and then to Munich and surrounding area for a week.

Thanks again for this info and I'm feeling really guilty I haven't done my Kauai trip report. I actually did it, then when I used the wrong site to host pictures and then lost track of the darn thing. So I need to re-do it.

Again, thanks!
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
jmq

Post by jmq »

djmom wrote:Wow, what a great start. Can't wait to start researching! Both places look fabulous. Jmq, my daughter will be 15 and there is a photo of a young boy that has a caption that he is 15....dangerous??? Ha ha. I think the photo must be old cause he looks about 10.

We'll be going for 17 nights (ridiculous, I know) but it's a long story. Hope to go to an agriturismo for a week (with my parents and our kids,) then a few nights and hiking in Cinque Terre, and then to Munich and surrounding area for a week.

Thanks again for this info and I'm feeling really guilty I haven't done my Kauai trip report. I actually did it, then when I used the wrong site to host pictures and then lost track of the darn thing. So I need to re-do it.

Again, thanks!
You are welcome. Their website hasnt been updated in awhile so hard to say what age he might actually be LOL. The husband and especially the wife are delightful people. FYI there are photos of the pool posted by tripadvisor reviewers.

Make sure you check Cinque Terre centric forums and websites etc. as to what trails might still be closed and what villages might still be significantly impacted by the devastating flash floods that hit them last fall. It takes them months to fully restore the coastal trail after a normal winter, but it loks like decent progress is being made:

http://www.ricksteves.com/news/cinque-t ... saster.htm

http://savevernazza.com/traveladvisortrailupdates/