Trip Report Caribert and his Harem...Day 1

Travel discussion for St. John
CariBert

Trip Report Caribert and his Harem...Day 1

Post by CariBert »

Day 1 - Travel Day
Tuesday July 24th
There were four of us traveling to St. John this time. The players: Marge (Newbie), Ann, Caribarb and Caribert. Three of us left from Dallas, Ann departed from Kentucky and met us at the STT airport.
Marge (Newbie), Caribert, and Caribarb started the trip with a 5:45 am flight on American. Rolling out of bed at 2 am – yes we did ask ourselves why we went to bed – and off to the airport. Of course no place is open at the airport at that hour so we just waited for the plane and tried to stay awake.

Due to the changes in American’s schedule we had a close connection in Miami, 50 minutes. They were boarding by the time we got to the gate! So we were back on the plane without even an opportunity to get something to eat. Now Marge was smart – she had upgrade to first class and got to eat. CariBert and CariBarb were not smart so went without food. The flights were on time and without problems arriving in St. Thomas about 1pm. Even with the short connections our bags made it on the flight. Bazille was there to welcome us along with the complementary rum and rum cream. All was good.

Then we settled in at the bar to drink and wait for Ann to arrive at 3:30pm.

Ann arrived on time with bags and Bazille came back and we were on our way to the Red Hook ferry. It was busy and we missed the 4pm ferry and boy the 5 o’clock ferry was very busy on a Tuesday evening. One short ferry ride and we were finally on St. John greeted by K-D.

After Bert wrote in the sand and got a drink at Bones we loaded on the bags into KD’s car and took off walking to Cool Breeze car rental. Darn, no picking up the box we shipped at connections tonight. So off we went to Villa Bijou. It is everything we had hoped it to be. Our only disappointment was there was not a left over community liquor stock – so there we were with only warm beer and a bottle of wine. We went to make some sandwiches and the lunch meat we ordered was frozen into on hard brick and the jelly to go with the peanut butter we brought with us was not delivered. Oh well, we have made it to St. John – all is good. A little unpacking and off to bed we go. That first day is a booger bear of a long day!! Tomorrow...the first real day of vacation!!
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

lprof

Re: Trip Report Caribert and his Harem...Day 1

Post by lprof »

"Bert wrote in the sand"
... no longer a stranger to paradise
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Thanks iprof! Now I have that one to add to my album!

-Bert

SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

Awesome start Bert! All day traveling without food is not fun, but at least you had some liquid meals ;-)
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Wow... you must be one tired cookie after getting up at 2 and having a few drinks! Can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip!
Coden

Post by Coden »

I agree that the travel day is brutal. Glad you landed and all is well. Can't wait for more!!
Coden
Rhonda

Post by Rhonda »

I understand that long travel day, we had the same thing from DFW. Looking forward to your reports.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

I always feel a tad bit guilty when I hear about how crummy everyone's travel days can be! Living in central Florida - travel days are really not that bad, but I am not the one driving either! 8)
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Good start! Looking forward to the rest. Glad you liked Villa bijou we were there in June. I wished I had the view from the kitchen at our home. We had a very delayed travel day and missed our reservations for dinner. We had a tray of fruit, cheese crackers, beer, wine, lunchmeat, cookies,candybars left by the greeter. Maybe she left it because we got there so late. We left a couple bottles of rum someone must of beat you to it. :(
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

The villa was wonderful. We really did enjoy it, and we will stay there again. I understand the owners were there just before we were, and I guess they sort of depleted all the liquor and a lot of the spices and oils. Either that, or they are not drinkers and decided that no liquor is better than a lot of liquor. :lol:

Sorry for the delay in reports, but there are a ton of pics to go through, and I am on a limited time budget since we got back home.....work you know....how tedious!! :( :roll:

Well, back to the grind!! Later, ya'll....(all ya'll is plural).

-Bert

rpplano

Post by rpplano »

Bert, go get a Desperados fix. It'll cure what ails you. :P
Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

Travel from DFW is never easy! We just got in late last night! Delayed on Delta and got home about 1:30 A.M. Why am I up?? Glad you had a good trip!