Cinnamon Bay trip report 7/22 - 7/29

Travel discussion for St. John
NJsurfsup

Cinnamon Bay trip report 7/22 - 7/29

Post by NJsurfsup »

What a fabulous week we had, weather perfect, bugs minimal, hospitality aplenty.

Left Philly at 9:40 AM arrived on STT at 1:30PM. Rachel Brown was waiting for us a truly gracious and charming woman. Had us at the Red Hook Ferry by 2:15ish. The ride over to STJ took about 20 minutes there were huge swells and a brisk wind out in the sound very refreshing. Kurt from L & L was there waiting with a 2011 jeep liberty that road like a dream. We arrived at Cinnamon bay just before 4pm, Checkin was effortless and the lady at the front desk warm and helpfull. We grabbed a cart and bought some ice and refreshments from the camp store , headded down to see our cabin which was 9D. Wow what a view, Cinnamon cay, whistling cay , marie's point , tall palms and the incredible multi turquise heued water.... went for a swim , got cleaned up and headed to Morgans Mango for dinner, bit pricey but good food and drinks. On our way back to cabin 16 year old says "Mom this is Paradise" score.

Day 2 we headed into Cruz, stopped at deli Grotto for breakfast then went to Low key to pick up out snorkel gear. Tip , if you reserve on line you get a 15% discount. Off to Francis, I love the ride out to Francis, so lush. We snorkeled the rocks almost out to the point suddenly I heard my son yell "shark", I swam as fast as I could and got a glimpse of his tail as he swam away. It was a pretty good size nurse. We would have kept going because it gets better the closer you get to the headland but the tide and wind had changed and we were getting tired. Back to Cinnamon for a swim , shower and off to Coconuts in Mongoose for dinner. I had Lobster, asparagus and mashed potatoes with goat cheese, delish, my husband had wahoo and said it was ok , my son had boulliabais and was disappointed because it was primarily mussels and little else. Did a quick pit stop at Dolphin market, wished we had just gone to Starfish or St John Market, the selection is limited there is no Deli dept just prepacked meats and cheeses, produce was sad.

Day 3 We went to JJ's for breakfast and to meet Capt Phil for our day out on the Wayward Sailor. My husband got a real kick out of the "sorry we are open" sign. Took a dingy out to the wayward and we were off to Whistling cay. All I can say is WOW, loved it. Would have liked to spend more time there , but we left for Lovongo, had a great lunch prepared by Tarn and snorkled by the west end pretty good, lots of soft corals. I had brought a very small cooler with frozen Filet Mignon and various other grillables. So we cooked at the cottage , I did the grill my husband did the potatos and onions in the frying pan on the camp stove. We had smores for desert and just chilled. The cabins are nicely stocked with the basics for cooking and grilling. Couple pots and a frying pan, plates , cups , mugs, silverware ,cooking utensils , coffee maker , grill, and propane 2 burner camp stove and our cabin came with a small fridge that suprisingly kept our frozen things frozen and was roomy enough to hold all our other food. We kept all our drinks in the large cooler provided. You have to keep everything , including sugar and coffee in the fridge or cooler or the very tiny ants will get into even lidded stuff.

Day 4 We were tired and just wanted to laze around Cinnamon. We snorkeled the rocks to the right , left and the cay, pretty good snorkeling . Son saw an eel between Big and little Cinnamon, Spotted Eagle ray back end of the cay, and the Rocky headland to the far fight of Cinnamon that separates it from Maho was really interesting lots of spurs and grooves. I found Cinnamon cay to be fantastic lots of different fish some very large and corals, hard and soft. We grilled hot dogs and hamburgers, bought some wine and beer from the camp store and enjoyed the long lazy day on this terrific beach.

Day 5 Spent a second day at Cinnamon we were having such a nice time and had the perfect little cove set up under a maho with a view of all the cays and mountains, did not feel the need to leave, but towards the late afternoon I drove my son to check out Jumbie. It was rough but what a pretty little pocket beach. We went to High Tide for dinner and loved it wound up going there again the next night. Great view, food , awesome mango daqs.and good service.

Day 6 We had made friends with a couple from San Fran, who had been coming to STJ and Cinnamon/Maho for 15 yrs. We invited them to do the East End with us so we all met up early and headed out to Haulover, north was to rough but south was a terrific snorkel saw a nurse shark immediatly and turtles galore. Hit Vies for Conch fritters (best I've ever had), beer and Iced tea. It was her next to last day before closing for season and we had the place to ourselves. We then went south and had lunch at Larry's Tourist Trap, great vibe. Off to Waterlemon for the afternoon. Found Waterlemon to be okay. Was upset at the amount of people treading right over the fans and coral. Saw several groups that every time they saw something they all would go upright to discuss and everyone of them was treading/kicking the coral, actually witnessed a woman kick over a stalk of staghorn coral. I yelled at her, couldn't help it I was so upset. We saw this everywhere we went it is a problem but there is a solution. In Cozumel they have signs posted everywhere restrooms, shops ,streetcorners I mean everywhere . The sign is a circle with an X over a pair of legs with fins treading and shows the fin brushing the coral. This is a strong graphic and since it is everywhere you get it in your head not to tread. Something like this needs to be done on STJ along with possibly passing out pamphlets at the ferry dock or maybe having the ferry operators do a quick informative talk as people head over on the ferry.

Day 7 our last day and Joe, our son was signed up for windsurfing lessons. He took to it right away and spent the entire day out on the windsurfer. The lessons and equipment were 200 for an entire day and if he had done this earlier in the week , he could have used the equipment for the rest of the week gratis. Can't beat that. Plus when the wind died down in Cinnamon they dingied him over to Maho. Great service. Had Dinner at Rhumb Lines, loved, loved loved it. Terrific food, best we had all week and the prices were very reasonable by STJ standards.

We loved Cinnamon Bay Campground and would stay again in a heart beat if any of the 9 or 10 cabins were available because they offer views , breezes and a little privacy. The rest of the cabins are to close to bath house and other public spaces or are blocked by mangove from ocean view. That being said we are kayakers, campers , outdoor people. We don't mind bugs and rustic accomodations. We had a spider the size of the palm of my hand on our cabin wall above bed one night , there are some roaches ( I grew up in philly and hate roaches). But not enough to deter us from coming back. We enjoyed the cold open air showers after long days in the sun, we loved the sounds and smells of the campground at night and thought the people who worked at the campground to be hard working and very friendly. They were constantly cleaning, removing trash, and upkeeping. Can't wait to return, my son has already asked if we can come back and this from a sixteen yr old after a week of no facebook, myspace, cell phone, tv . Priceless.

mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Hmmmmm....you've got my wheels spinning in my head. Maybe a trip to Cinnamon Bay would be a good college graduation gift for my daughter.....
I think it WOULD!
They don't close CBC in December, do they? It's October, I think.
NJsurfsup

Post by NJsurfsup »

Great idea Minde, she'd have a blast and yes they are open starting sometime early November I believe.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

I enjoyed the report...we spent 8 days in Cottage 10-D in June..Its one of our favorite places on STJ...:)

Minde..I think they close only for Sept..:)
[/url]
NJsurfsup

Post by NJsurfsup »

Thank you JJ, funny i was just reading and replying to your report :D
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

Great report NJsurfsup! So great to "unplug" for a week! Cinnamon is sooo on my must stay list! :wink:
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Coden

Post by Coden »

Thnx for the TR - every time I read about Cinnamon, I want to stay there! Maybe some day we'll give a try. :)
Coden
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Great report.

That's a great deal on the windsurfing.

Thanks!
janet
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

Thank you for the trip report. Love your pictures. Cinnamon Bay camping is at the top of my list.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Sounds like an awesome trip and great "connection time" with your son! :)
MN_Bhoy

Re: Cinnamon Bay trip report 7/22 - 7/29

Post by MN_Bhoy »

Great trip report! I loved snorkeling at Cinnamon - especially the rocks on the right. Will try Rhumb Lines next time too...!!
MN_Bhoy
Take me to 18N 64W!