Photo TR- Carnival Fun! July 2012

Travel discussion for St. John
SOonthebeach

Photo TR- Carnival Fun! July 2012

Post by SOonthebeach »

Yet another fantastic week on STJ. We went down with our kids (2 girls, ages 8 and almost 12) July 2-9, 2012. Just in time to see the Carnival parade and fireworks! This was our 13th or 14th trip to STJ (we have lost count- nice problem to have), and our 4th Carnival. The girls have visited several times with us, and now have their own “must do’s”- sometimes they conflict with ours, of course. ;-)

We have a timeshare at the Westin, so we stayed there for the first part of the trip, then moved to Grande Bay for the last few days (a first!)

The best part: being on STJ, of course. Had one rainy day, but mostly the weather was great. Also getting to hang with the ACC dogs and cats (and fantastic people) was a personal highlight. Our day out with Palm Tree Charters is also always a great day. It was fun to meet up with a bunch of forumites for “Juky” 4th, and later at Maho. SUP at Cinnamon was fun. OK, so all of it was the best part…..

The worst part: only having 7 days (moving places took up a chunk of one day, and Carnival kept us in town all of another day- leaving really only 4 days for limin’) not enough!! I know, I sound spoiled….

Also DH and one kiddo getting stuck in the elevator at Grande Bay for over an hour wasn’t that much fun, either… but it was an adventure! The Grande Bay folks were horrified and very nice about it. Oh, and DH losing his wallet full of cash (and the ensuing calls to cancel a bunch of cards)- that wasn’t exciting either. Glad he had a passport, and I had other cards. The REST of the trip was glitch free.

I take pictures way more than I talk (ok, so maybe that is to be debated), so this will be more of a photo TR. For those who know I can also be very wordy, this really IS less wordy than usual. You’re welcome. For those not interested in seeing over 140 pictures, I’m sorry! This is actually edited way down from the over 1,000 I took. Hope you enjoy!

We arrived LATE, and finally got to the Westin around 10:30 pm. Cool bioluminescence in the wake of the boat on the way over. It was the day before the full moon, so we had fun with that, too.

Checked on the birds as we arrived… shhhh… Max is asleep….

Our routine with the kids at the Westin- day 1 is always pool day. Ahhhhhh….

A little shopping at St. John Market, followed by a quick stop at Ital’s booth by High Tide (we bought some great calabash “purses” and a cut conch to blow into). Ital is fantastic- he can tell you stories about everything.

After having a nice chat with Ital and gathering our new goodies, it was time for dinner at Café Roma (a favorite). They have a “special” salad (off menu- just ask for it) that is one of my favorite things to eat. Josephine’s greens, dried cranberries, feta, walnuts, grilled chicken and balsamic. SO good!

After dinner, a walk through Carnival Village and the kid’s village. The light on top of the cab on the way back said it all….

Full moon

July (or Juky, as some of us like to call it) 4th! Carnival Day! But first, a quick few walks in town with some ACC pups (we walked Jax and Angel; Kimber (the AMAZING girl who takes care of the dogs at the ACC) walked Delta and Dawn), followed by a dash across island for a proper Donkey Diner breakfast (a must do for us).

Donkey’s Mess- breakfast of champions!

Oh yeah, and a pre- parade painkiller at Woody’s- for ME, not the kiddo!

Carnival fun!

So happy to run into Captain John and Sue- she is a Westin troupe veteran- that lady knows how to do Carnival!

Also fun to see Peter Alter (race director for 8 Tuff Miles- my all time favorite race)- at the St. John Brewers float. Hi Peter- see you in February at the next 8 Tuff!

More cool costumes

They had to have been SO hot!
Adorable

Emerson (the little one) scored a foam finger from the St. John Brewers float. She wore it ALL day.

Jim and Kathryn (the big one) bailed on the parade early. They decided to see how many High Tide cups they could amass in a few hours (Sprite for her, something stronger for him) ;-)

Back to the Westin to freshen up, some softball in the rain, then, Jim and Kathryn just couldn’t make it- they bailed on fireworks, too. Boy did they miss it!

Emerson and I went in to town to meet up with some forum peeps for the fireworks. First, a little cruise through Mongoose.

She wanted one of everything here (in the village)

I got her ice cream instead

Very cool floating stage in front of beach bar for the festivities.

Fireworks!

So fun to meet up with so many forumites and hang out at Grande Bay to watch them (thank you Tracey and Juice!) After a brief downpour right before they started, the sky cleared and it was a great show.

Another great show- Inner Visions at Beach Bar! But I had the kiddo and it was a long day, so off to bed….

First beach day- yea! Rain- boo! But, we still were able to rent some boards for SUP at Cinnamon. Little one followed on a wake board. Went over to Little Cinnamon- the current and wind on the way back were a little tough but we did it! Rain didn’t bother us- we fell off enough to be wet anyway ;-)

Late lunch at Woodys. Wings- yum. Colleen- why do the kids love Woody's so much? Mine always pick it.

Relaxing and playing in the pool on a dreary hazy rainy, day. Oops- not dreary. Rain is never dreary on STJ.

Move day- loadin’ up and movin’ out to Grande Bay. It’s really nice! The view from our unit was awesome. The water was a million shades of blue.

Another favorite- the Big G burger at Joe’s Rum Hut. GIANT- you really need to share it. But SO good. It’s basically a homemade Big Mac.

After lunch we split- 2 went back to the condo, 2 shopped for an hour or so… oops- the 2 that went back to the condo got stuck in the elevator for over an hour until the other 2 returned and heard them yelling and banging. Not fun! But the folks at Grande Bay were really apologetic, offered us a room upgrade (we declined- we liked our view better) and sent champagne. After all of that excitement, it was time to get ready to head to Cinnamon for our late afternoon family photo shoot with the fabulous Yelena Rogers (Yelena Rogers Photography). Hoping we got some good ones for the Christmas card! Can’t wait to see them.

After the pictures, some playing on the beach- sand fight!

Love the North Shore drive

Look! Trunk is empty! It was skeeter time. ;-)

When the sun goes down....

Boat day! We love to go out with Captain Brandi of Palm Tree Charters. Always the best time. This time we went to: the Caves for some snorkeling, Pirates on Norman Island for some Jenga, Willy T for lunch and a jump, and last but not least, White Bay. Ahhhhhh.

Our chariot awaits:

Matching Sloop Jones dresses- we have a collection! Awesome stuff.
The Jenga has fallen. Time for Willy T!

Jim inhaled this and ordered a SECOND lobster!

First jump for the little one! She jumped off the first floor. She was so excited!

Hi Mic!

This is why you need shoes to walk to Ivan’s- start of the rock trail. I have forgotten before and regretted it.

Yes, it is…

Rain on STJ, but not on us!

Thanks Mic!

Thanks Captain John!

Unbelievable sunsets (this one shot from Spyglass- great post boat day dinner).

Alas, last day. But what a perfect one. Long hike with the ACC pups on the Lind Point Trail, followed by snorkeling at Maho (and meeting up with some forumite friends again), a final yummy dinner with gorgeous sunset view at High Tide, and some Ish music at BB.

Kathryn and I walked with another family and some local ACC volunteers. The group walked Delta, Dawn, Rocky, Tito, and Jax. These dogs are AWESOME! I highly recommend an ACC dog or cat if you are looking to adopt. I have one and we adore her. The ACC is an incredible place- spending time there is one of my favorite things to do.

Ahhhh, Maho

Forumites Juice and Tracey and their cool blow up kayaks- hi guys!

No shot of them, but got to see forumite Colleen and one of her sons when they snorkeled over from Francis. Fun to see them!

Critters

Ahhhh, late day at Maho...

BB was hoppin’ all week

Dinner at Hight Tide was great- with a perfect view

Another gorgeous sunset

Ish! We stopped for a second to listen, but the kiddos were tired. Loved the convenient walk back to Grande Bay at night.

Sigh. Last morning before the ferry. Some rounds to pet some of our four legged island friends- Rafaela (Rafe) at Freebird (we have pugs at home so she’s a favorite) and the famous (or infamous?) Curly Spice at St. John Spice (an ACC rescue, too). Hi Ruth and Ron- great to see you guys!

Pouts on the ferry and that dreaded view- STJ in the rearview mirror. Poo.

Wow- it went by so fast as usual. Already can’t wait until we go again. Next time is February for 8 Tuff Miles with a bunch of friends (no kids). There is so much we missed this trip- I am embarrassed to admit we never even made it to Skinny’s and only got to Coral Bay once (usually we get over there a few times). Missed the Tourist Trap, Sloop, Vie's, Shipwreck, all kinds of goodness. Missed some beaches, some hikes. Missed some restaurants and take outs we wanted to go to. Missed seeing some people (Pia, we went by your kiosk so many times but always missed you :cry: . All reasons to go back. What we didn't miss- the most amazing feeling we get just by being on the rock. Can't wait to be back!
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Wow! These are such amazing photos! Who needs a pro! I miss St.J so bad. Your report was so welcome!
DonnaM

Post by DonnaM »

Great report and pictures! Are you sure you were only there for a week??? You sure crammed in a lot of fun!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Great photos.

The lobster your husband had for lunch, was that at the Willy T? I didn't realized they served "real" food. We booked with Palm Tree charter for a day in February and thougth about stopping at Willy T.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Fantastic photos! Your kids are adorable :D

You packed a whole lot of fun into one week. I think you did twice as much as I managed to get to in 2 weeks.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
Barney&barbara

Post by Barney&barbara »

Love your report and pic's ....you have a lovely family
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

Thanks guys! PA girl- yes, that was on the Willy T, but it was a "special". He said it was great!
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

What a FANTASTIC trip report! Y'all did so much, and it looks like y'all had a GREAT time! Yay!!!
The starfish (is that at Maho?) is so gorgeous! Amazing such things exist in nature! Awesome picture!!!! Hoping to see a starfish this year!!! Fingers crossed!
Thanks for sharing!
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Awesome report and pics as always! You have such an adorable family! Sounds like you all squeezed in as much fun as you could in that short week :D
Image[/url]
Gr8Escape

Post by Gr8Escape »

Awesome report and even better pictures. It's nice for us newbies to be able to have a description as well so when we go we can place some things. Thanks for sharing!
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

ColumbiaSC- yes, that was at Maho! We usually find a few stars there- right out in the center in front of the buoys. They are usually a little hidden in the grass- but keep looking. Turtles and rays, too!

I feel like we missed so much this trip- makes me feel better that all of ya'll think we did a lot- thanks!
Rhonda

Post by Rhonda »

Love your trip report & pics. Looks like you had a great trip.
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

Thanks Rhonda! I have yours dog-eared to read next. Wouldn't let myself read it until I wrote mine ;-)
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

HOLY MOLY!!!
What a fantastic week! You transported me right back and now I'm really island sick :shock: I'm adding your report to my favorites list so I can go back and look at it throughout the year to re-live it over (and over) again! :o
See you at our next forum gathering and hopefully back on island again in the near future!! 8)
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Wow! We were there with you for a short time. Well written, well photographed.

I can't wait to go back.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....