Food for thought......

Travel discussion for St. John
stingrat

Post by stingrat »

reusable bags are a good idea just be sure to wash them regularly.http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... -risk.html
High in the rockies?
needmesomesun

Post by needmesomesun »

This is really good to know. That photo of the turtle is so very sad.

We always bring floats and give them away or leave them, but we never think to bring some insulated (really important for STJ) bags with us, even though we use them at home. They would probably take up next to no room in our bags. Be sure and let us know if you decide to sell something special though ;)
Gr8Escape

Post by Gr8Escape »

Pia - thanks for bringing this up. I would have never thought of this even though I have been to many places were we did shopping and got plastic bags.
Why shouldn't I use them (reusable bags) everywhere even if I have to bring them with me.
I just added them to the packing list.
Last edited by Gr8Escape on Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

It didn't occur to me to leave them, but we brought ours this trip. They fit just fine in the outside pocket of the suitcase that is good for nothing!
djmom

Post by djmom »

We have been to Hawaii twice and honestly, my favorite purchases both times were $1.99 reusable bags from Foodland. They are really whimsical and decorated with all kinds of Hawaiian food, phrases, etc...! I bought some last trip to give to my friends as their souvenir from me. (Yes, I'm crazy)
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
chicagoans

Post by chicagoans »

Pia wrote:...visitors could pack them in their luggage - they don't take up much room and leave them at the villas ...
I'm all over this! Took mine back home last time. Next time I'll leave some there. Maybe we can convince a corporate donor that this is a great advertisement ("your logo in every villa in STJ") and get some donated.

I keep a bunch in my car (including a really big one) and use them for all kinds of shopping, including clothing. I love telling Nordstrom et al "no thanks I've got my own bag." They always look surprised, but it's such a simple thing.
djmom

Post by djmom »

Not sure how the car rental companies would feel, but ideally there are a few in the back pocket in the seat. Just an idea as I never seem to have mine in my car.

Given the "quirkiness" of the car rental companies, I realize this idea is kind of stupid.
"Sponges grow in the ocean...I wonder how much deeper it would be if that didn't happen."
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Shopping bags are a great way to recycle old T-Shirts. Cut the neck and sleeves out, sew the bottom... Washable, and strong. A neat way to "say where you were from" when you leave them at the villa. I got some from a fund raiser for a school for mentally handicapped adults in our town. They are great and soooo strong!
SOonthebeach

Post by SOonthebeach »

Love this! I will plan to bring some with me next time, but would definitely also love to buy some there as "souvenirs" to use at home- could be an exchange- leave mine from home, bring home the ones from there. Pia- start selling them!
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

On our 2007 trip we were given a bag by a group outside the Starfish Market plaza. It has First Bank on it. We still have it and it reminds us to bring our collection of re-usable bags with us when we are packing. We use them for groceries and beach bags.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Capn Dan and Ruby

I love that idea! A collapsable beach bag! You could also use them like a purse/shopping bag when just doing regular shopping in town to keep all those loose things you buy together. I love multi use things! The Forum bag that I got for Christmas would work well for minor grocery shopping.
Capn Dan and Ruby

Just a thought. I do alot of recycling of the dreaded plastic bags (I don't buy garbage bags at all at home, I take my lunch in them, and I use them in my class room in art projects). If you had to get a few of the offending bags, be responsible with them... use them as trash bags at the beach, use them as trash bags at the villa (instead of the plastic ones provided) use them to pack wet bathing suits incase you just could not resist one last swimm before returning home. Be responsible with all the things you use. I do wish the Island had more recycling, glass recycling would be great!