Travel discussion for St. John
Coden

Post by Coden »

Wow - awesome trip report. Thanks!!
Coden
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

augie wrote:
PA Girl wrote:What was your grill lighting method?
I was debating whether or not to go public with this, but here goes...

There were a bunch of wooden skewers, so dipping the end of one in vegetable oil gave us something that approximated a long matchstick. We'd use one of the gas burners on the stovetop to light the stick, use the stick to light a candle, and then use the flame from the candle to light the end of the stick when we were ready to light the grill.

But the biggest problem was the wind. We tried holding up big towels to create a wind break, but nothing would allow the flame to stay lit long enough.

Until Jason said..."the downstairs (ground level) bedroom has an outside door to the shower. Why don't we roll the grill into the shower, light it, and roll it back outside as soon as the burners ignite?

Voila!

Ha! I suspected as much. I did the same thing at home when our Weber switch went out except I dipped them in candle wax. This method continued for months (too lazy/busy to replace it OR buy matches) so I know from creative lighting methods.
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

So excited to see your report. Love your pictures. I have yet to spot a octopus on St John. Saw one in Tahiti a few years ago and they are so fun to watch. Especially how they change colors and blend in.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

During our last trip when we did our night snorkel at Maho- we saw three octopi!! There colors were all so beautiful but completely different. If you go to www.islandtreasuremaps.com to the phOto contest and look and the past Page under wild card entry- one of our octos is there- I like him a whole bunch!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

I just checked your picture out. It is amazing. I hope you won.
designbyroe

Post by designbyroe »

just getting around to reading the TR from Leslie's bday......as usual phenomenal pics and phenomenal commentary.........:)

There's no $ sign on a peace of mind, this I've come to know