Ever served on a Grand Jury?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
Lex

Ever served on a Grand Jury?

Post by Lex »

Just posted a question about Africa. Since I'm here I'll ask about the other new thing soon to happen in my life. I've been called to serve on a grand jury. This will be in Massachusetts and I expect that there are differences between states (and counties), but I was curious if anyone had any experience being on one.

Thanks.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Yes. I served on a Grand Jury for Middlesex County (MA) about 10 years ago.

It was a 3 month tenure and 3-4 days a week. We met in Cambridge (Superior Court) for 2 days (and a 3rd day either every other or once a month) and Lowell Superior Court for 1 day - Fridays off.

My employer, at the time, paid me in full, so that took a lot of the pressure off. We also had to go back a day or 2 in the next 6 months to hear more evidence on a few cases that we had only heard partial.

In the end it was a great experience. I learned a lot. And often tried to find verdicts for some of the cases we indicted. Some were pretty high profile at the time.
janet
Lex

Post by Lex »

I think it would be interesting, but there is the matter of earning a living. I'll have to check with HR to see what the policy is. I know employers have to pay for the first three days, but if they don't pay beyond that, the court only pays $50/day. If my employer will compensate me, this would quite an experience. It is kind of bizarre thinking about being away from my job for three months, but I think I could get used to it before long.
Iluvstjohn

Post by Iluvstjohn »

I have just finished a 22 month FEDERAL grand jury "sentence"...ha ha....it felt like my own personal prison sentence....it started as an 18 month duty..and we got extended! Shoot me....Again this was Federal in downtown boston! I went in every Tuesday for almost 2 years....totally SUCKED!
Iluvstjohn

Post by Iluvstjohn »

they paid 50 dollars a day and parking expenses...then we got a raise after 500 dollars! ha ha....it was a loooooooong process.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Bizarre is exactly how it felt the first couple of weeks. I think most of us were in shock that we were actually there. But, you do settle in nicely, especially when you get those occasional days when witnesses don't show up or the ADA's don't have their stuff together and you get to go home at noon:)

There were probably ~70 people called in on the first day. Everyone had to meet with the judge. Financial hardship was his first question. Once I said I would be paid, he didn't ask much more. Most people were excused if it was going to be a financial hardship. I think we sat ~23 and needed ~16 votes for an indictment.

I remember calling my boss - "OMG - I got picked!". My boss was quite supportive. I probably working an hour or 2 on the jury days - checking emails, a couple of calls, etc. There were some folks that would come in and say they had to work until midnight. So, even though they were being paid, they weren't excused totally from work.

Although a good experience, I wouldn't want to do it again. I do get called for normal jury duty about every 3 years.
janet
toni

Post by toni »

jayseadee wrote: I do get called for normal jury duty about every 3 years.

I always wondered about how they call people, I'm a registered voter (which is how I assumed they picked people?) and I've never been called for duty though I know people who've been called several times. I'm 48, thought my name would have come up sometime by now.
lprof

Post by lprof »

toni wrote: I always wondered about how they call people, I'm a registered voter (which is how I assumed they picked people?) and I've never been called for duty though I know people who've been called several times. I'm 48, thought my name would have come up sometime by now.
In Florida the pool is drawn from licensed drivers or those with a valid Florida ID who are 18.

Googling New York I found this at www.nycourts.gov
"The New York State court system obtains each year the names of state residents who are included on certain lists; registered voters, state taxpayers, licensed drivers, recipients of public assistance benefits and recipients of state unemployment compensation."

For some time, I was never drawn, but my husband was almost every other year. Over the past ten or fifteen years, I have been summoned about every other year... for county, circuit, and federal courts. Seems there is a lot left up to random picks. It is always a learning experience!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
toni

Post by toni »

lprof wrote:"The New York State court system obtains each year the names of state residents who are included on certain lists; registered voters, state taxpayers, licensed drivers, recipients of public assistance benefits and recipients of state unemployment compensation."
Thanks for that info-I know I'm registered, I know I have a driver's license and I definitely know I pay a lot of taxes :lol: , you'd think I'd be in the pool somewhere. Maybe I'll get that call sometime!
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

I don't understand why I've never been called up for jury duty; I've voted in every election. Huh. Given my age, I'd say I've voted 60 or more times. Huh. Weird.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

Me too, I've been called only twice, there was a period I moved about three times in 12 years I thought maybe it took a while for the new addresses to catch up.
GidgetPicklebrain

Post by GidgetPicklebrain »

I've been called for jury duty just once, within a year of my registering to vote in our new home when we moved here 30 years ago. My husband and each of my daughters also have been called only once - my husband when he changed his party affiliation several yearrs ago and my daughters when they became of age and registered for the first time.

I don't know what the offical decision making process is here, but I can say that in pratical application it seems to be new/changed voter registrations that trigger a summons.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. - Confucius

Lex

Post by Lex »

So I've learned that my employer does pay--the difference between the $50/day from the court and my usual wage--for the entire term of grand jury service. I've only turned up one person who has ever served on a grand jury here in Boston (Suffolk Co.) and that was just last year. She was expected to be there four days per week for three months from 9 to 4, although they were occasionally dismissed at noon. They were also fairly willing to excuse people for an occasional appointment or a previously planned vacation or the like. She also found it to be extremely interesting. So as strange as the thought is of not going to my job for three months, I'm pretty intrigued by this and actually hope I'll be selected.

I looked to see when I was last called for jury duty. It's been six years. I've been called several times but have yet to be seated on a jury. I'd always hoped to be seated, just to see how the process actually works, although there are certain cases I'm very glad I didn't have to be involved with.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Sorry, I'm a bit stupid here. What qualifies for Grand Jury Case?

Would the new James Holmes case be considered a Grand Jury Case?
AquaGirl

Post by AquaGirl »

So I've been reading this thread with mild interest, never having been called for a Grand Jury. I served at a County court for jury duty, but was never picked, so it was a waiting game. I was thinking...well, it might be interesting, but I can't sit for long periods of time without getting antsy or my back bothers me...Its good citizenship to serve on jury duty...but it sure seems like it would crunch up my life...

Then a couple days ago, I received an official looking letter. Its a questionnaire to fill out as a precursor to serving on a Grand Jury. Yikes - its an 18 month commitment. I sure hope I can be excused for travel, as I can't be gone from the Caribbean for 18 months.