May I Pick Your Brains for Suggestions?

Travel discussion for St. John
TraumaQueen

May I Pick Your Brains for Suggestions?

Post by TraumaQueen »

Since we won't be back to stay on island until 2014 :cry: (we'll be there for a day on a cruise next year), we will be staying 2 weeks :D !

Here's my question: Should we stay at the same villa the entire time or switch half-way? We stayed at Astral Ridge and I can honestly say I've never been so relaxed on vacation before! I didn't need a vacation after my vacation if you know what I mean. We are definitely Coral Bay folks and have seen other villas we'd like to try, but I'm torn b/t committing to 2 weeks in one spot or shaking it up a little and moving mid-vacation.

I'd like to hear y'alls input, pros, cons, experiences, etc.

Thanks so much!

Happy 4th of July!
lark22

Post by lark22 »

We've done both -- we stayed two weeks at the same place, and on a different visit, split between two houses. There are advantages to both. If you stay put for 2 weeks, you don't have to do the pack-up-and-leave-the-villa routine twice, so it's more relaxing. You lose track of the passing days a bit more as well.

That said, I really enjoyed trying a week each at two different houses (maybe you'll like the new one even better than Astral Ridge -- you never know!). You can try out another area, which is cool -- and splitting the vacation in half made the trip feel even longer as well...not sure why.

Anyway, it's a lovely decision to have to make :)
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

lark22 wrote:We've done both -- we stayed two weeks at the same place, and on a different visit, split between two houses. There are advantages to both. If you stay put for 2 weeks, you don't have to do the pack-up-and-leave-the-villa routine twice, so it's more relaxing. You lose track of the passing days a bit more as well.

That said, I really enjoyed trying a week each at two different houses (maybe you'll like the new one even better than Astral Ridge -- you never know!). You can try out another area, which is cool -- and splitting the vacation in half made the trip feel even longer as well...not sure why.

Anyway, it's a lovely decision to have to make :)
Thank you! I agree, it is a lovely decision!
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

We've done both - stayed the whole 2 weeks in one place, and split up the 2 weeks into different increments. I actually like mixing it up and staying at 2 different places. Love trying out new villas, and it's fun anticipating the other villa when you're at the present one!
This trip is 12 nights. We're staying 5 nights at one place, and 7 at another. (Stay tuned for a TR!)
Either way, though, you're a winner because you'll be on St. John! :D
papabou

Post by papabou »

we've moved twice to extend stays and both times were because 1st villa not available for entire desired stay. both times the second villa was avaiable for am checkin on day of 1st villa checkout so did morning move and hit the beach. moving day might be a pain and waste a lot of time if have to be out of 1st villa at 10am and can't get in second one till 3pm.

we really ejoyed the move from initial stay on mt bordeax to maria bluff. at 1st villa we had sunrises and spent time in coral bay and eastern half of island. on maria bluff we were close to cruz bay, had sunsets and closer to west end north shore beaches. almost like being on 2 different vacations. and a lot less driving.

papabou
loria

Post by loria »

we've done both and i always feel like i lose an entire day moving (have to be out of one by ten, can't move into the other until 2 ) with moving food and luggage and all-- it seems like a waste of a day to me (but i do understand having / wanting the two villa experience!)
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
Pia

Post by Pia »

I can't comment as I have no experience but I have to ask what would happen if the second villa was no where near as nice as the first would you be disappointed ?

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

If we were able to get away for 2 weeks, there is no way that I woud want to split it up. AFter 1 week I am just getting comfortable, having an extra week would be a dream to just be!
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

Pia wrote:I can't comment as I have no experience but I have to ask what would happen if the second villa was no where near as nice as the first would you be disappointed ?

Pia
Excellent point! We'd possibly do Astral Ridge our second week bc we've already stayed there. That's another issue I'm having......stay at the same place again or venture out and try something new. At this point the only must I have is a pool. I never thought we'd use it, but it was nice to float around in after beach-hopping while sipping on a vanilla rum and root beer!
I'd also like to have a washer/dryer so we can do carry-on only. After getting our feet wet I've realized I can buy suntan lotion down there and not lug 5lbs down with me :).

It's a good thing I have 2 years to decide!
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

Thank you all for your input! It gives me things to consider in my looooooong 24 month hiatus!
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

Something else to consider is that you can often get discounts for stays longer than a week. You wouldn't be able to take advantage of that perk if you split your trip.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

Teresa_Rae wrote:Something else to consider is that you can often get discounts for stays longer than a week. You wouldn't be able to take advantage of that perk if you split your trip.
I was wondering that, but didn't want to sound cheap. Do they offer or do you have to ask?
TraumaQueen

Post by TraumaQueen »

One more question. We want to come during Carnival and would lime your suggestions for either the week before and during or the week after. I'm thinking the week of and the week after bc it'll be laid back with everyone recovering. Thoughts?