More than we could of imagined!!

Travel discussion for St. John
momto3boys

More than we could of imagined!!

Post by momto3boys »

We are back from a wonderful 25th Anniversary trip. This was our first trip to St. John and we would like thank you for all of your help with our trip planning.

We stayed at Moon Cottage and is was a trip and place that we will never forget. We could not believe how gorgeous the view was from the Cottage. The colors were so vibrant. Our first full day there was very emotional for us. It was the place, the rum and the freedom to concentrate on ourselves. It made us truly appreciate each other and how far we come through the years together.

I have to say that staying on the Coral Bay side for first timers was not so bad. In fact we probably prefer it because of the views and the quietness. The drive up to the Cottage was no where near as scary as we had imagined. We have rented cabins in the smokies on some scary roads so I guess we were more prepared than most. After the second time up and down there were no more nerves. We did not venture to Cruz Bay for dinner though. Did not want to drive that distance in the dark on our first trip.

We had the most wonderful dinners. Christy’s provisioned the place for us. She even marinated Mahi, Mahi and ribeye steaks for us. Kept meaning to ask what she used because they were delicious! We ate at Shipwreck Landing twice. Once for our Anniversary Meal. It was fabulous and they even gave us 2 free glasses of wine to help celebrate. Their specials were great.

We also had a dinner at Aqua Bistro. We sat at the bar for almost 2 hours because we wanted dinner not the lunch. Had my first and only painkiller there. It actually was not as strong as I expected. Wine kicks my butt more for some reason. Their dinner was fabulous too!

One day that it was going to be raining all day we decided to spend it in Cruz Bay. We shopped and shopped and ate and drank at the beach bar. Oh My their Lime and Coconut tasted just like key lime pie! I tried it at either the Shipwreck or the Aqua Bistro and it was not the same at all. I could drink the ones at the Beach Bar all day. We also had some of their crab dip and the fried crab wontons. They were delicious as well. Chuck had their Dark and Stormy drink and liked it too.

We sadly only had 2 beach days. I guess that was my fault. We had planned to spend the first full day at the cottage and that is what we did. No regrets at all on that. But there was another day that Chuck wanted to go and I just wanted to stay at the cottage again. Loved the privacy it afforded. Don’t regret that at all but unfortunately after that it seemed to rain everyday except one that we were able to squeeze some beach time in. We went to Trunk Bay and Salt Pond. I would say that Trunk Bay was my favorite. The water was warmer and we saw some fish and a ray right at the edge.

We did not snorkel. I don’t swim really and I was a little chicken to try it. I need to force myself to take lessons before we go back and we will go back!!

Chuck made some fabulous rum drinks for us at the cottage and we enjoyed the view more than anything. Just sitting on the covered deck talking or just watching the scenery was so so special. Music was constantly playing in the background. We do not own an Ipod but we may have to get one after this trip. It was so nice having the background music at all times.

The pool is heated and so it was comfortable except right after a rain. Though it warmed back up very quickly. We used the pool a lot.

We traveled with only carryon’s too! I didn’t think we would be able to but we were. We just had to buy the sunscreen once we got there.

So now onto planning our next trip. Do we take our 24, 22 and 8 year old with us or keep St. John all to ourselves? Right now we are leaning to ourselves. This was the first trip that we were truly able to relax and enjoy being together. We hardly ever knew what time it was! We would usually be up with the sunrise so by 10am it felt more like 1pm. Not that the days felt long it just seemed like that much time must of already passed us by. What place to stay at next? We have been compiling a list and I will be posting that soon for opinions!!
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Thanks for the report. I have a question about Mooncottage: are there locks on the doors? John and I came very close to renting this house a few years back but ended up choosing another place because we were told there were no locks on the doors. I am wondering if that is still the case. It is definitely a beautiful cottage.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
kma27

Post by kma27 »

Enjoyed your trip report...as far as whether you should bring the kids with you at a later time - I guess that would depend on whether you can or want to afford the 3 plane tickets for them! I actually feel that the plane tickets are the MOST expensive part of the whole trip...just my opinion. I'd love for my two grown daughters to join us in STT every year but they can't afford the tickets and I can't afford to buy them either...not at $673.00 per ticket. Whew...
momto3boys

Post by momto3boys »

liamsaunt wrote:Thanks for the report. I have a question about Mooncottage: are there locks on the doors? John and I came very close to renting this house a few years back but ended up choosing another place because we were told there were no locks on the doors. I am wondering if that is still the case. It is definitely a beautiful cottage.
It is secure. Sending you a PM.
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

Glad you had a great trip.

We've been many times and won't do the drive to Cruz Bay from Coral Bay at night.

Happy planning the next one. If I were your kid, I want to go with you :)
janet
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Ahhhhh, you GET it!! It warms the cockles of my heart when someone else falls in love with STJ. Just like my first time all over again! LOL!! Sounds like I'm talking about a lover, but this lover happens to be an island. I don't know what it IS about that place but it makes my soul feel at peace and I LOVE that feeling more than anything. If you're like the rest of us here you will be back more than once so if you don't share it with your kids the next time, there will be other opportunities. You HAVE to learn how to snorkel!!!! It is SO interesting and all consuming once you learn. All you have to do is be able to float on the surface of the water and breath thru the snorkel.....easy, peasy. Practice floating until your next trip so you feel comfortable. The things you see UNDER the water will make you fall even deeper in love with STJ!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

What a lovely report. We have also considered a trip with kids and have decided so far, to keep St. John for just us, for the reasons you mention. It is that one week where we can just be us, and we are SO happy together.
You can snorkel. I guarantee it. I don't think you should practice at home, because I did, and it just made me more nervous. I am unsinkable in salt water. If you need to practice, put on a mask and snorkel. While ONLY breathing through your snorkel, lie face down on your SOFA. That's about what it feels like. Until someone spent considerable time teaching me how to get UNDER the water, I was completely unable to do that. So gear up and lie on the sofa :D
And keep planning!
cindygad

Post by cindygad »

Enjoyed your report. I think you get so excited about this special place you just want to share it. We are treating our grown kids to a family vacation in a few weeks. I can't not wait.

Start snorkeling in the calm areas on the island. After our first trip I bought the small blow up vest to add security. We always use them when we are in remote areas. The raft shirts keep you warm and protect from the sun. Snorkeling is a major part of my love of the island. My husband was not a confident swimmer and has become even braver than me now.

May your new love of the island bring you back soon!
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Thank you for posting a trip report!

Our upcoming trip is our 4th visit in 4 years WITHOUT kids. Granted, we're still "newlyweds," with no kids, but we are actually looking forward to one day sharing the island with our child! Until a child arrives, though, we intend to fully enjoy it by ourselves!
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

I'm so glad you loved St. John! It sounds like a peaceful and relaxing trip. I agree that the Lime N Coconuts at Beach Bar are amazing and the others don't compare! Enjoy planning your return!
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

You report touched my heart! I know that exact feeling of getting so emotional and in tune to your partner that first night! It is almost something you can't describe unless you have been there! weI have been fortunate enough to have several trips alone, one where we shared a villa with friends we actually met from this forum, and two where we took our youngest son ( now 19) .Our next trip will be with both boys (19 and 20) and I cannot wait ! I want to share it and see that excitement of a newbie and see if he loves it as much as the rest of the family. The trip in the fall is with friends we have had had for over 20 years who have sailed the BVIs before but have never stayed on island!! It's always an adventure and at this point - we just don't really want to venture anywhere else! We found our paradise and glad you did too!!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
wyoMel

Post by wyoMel »

We are returning to the island after our first visit six years ago when I was pregnant with our first child. We fell in love and when our 10th anniversary was approaching with a chance to go somewhere without the kids I couldn't imagine going anywhere else, I know someday I would love to share the island with our kids but probably when they are older. I agree the plane tickets seem to be the biggest "ouch" factor. Being that your kids are older would be nice because you could still schedule in some alone time, maybe a dinner out alone. If we do take our boys the trip would be a very different theme and that is okay too, just different..
Betty

Post by Betty »

In my opinion snorkeling is a must for the full experience of St John. I vacationed here for 25 years and now call St John home. I have taught many people to swim and snorkel. My first suggestion to you would be buy a dry snorkel, I have rented fins and masks on vacations, but I always bring my dry snorkel. You will have so much more confidence if you are not drinking sea water. When we have non-swimmers down to visit us, I always take them to the last store on lower Mongoose to rent a flotation belt. Never feel embaressed not to swim or miss out on the experience of snorkeling, many people wear flotation devices and nobody will think less of you for being safe. They will think less of you if you step on the coral in a panic because you do not feel safe in the water. I also start teaching people at a calm beach in shallow water like Maho.

As for bringing kids, we did not until our daughter was 18 and mostly because we wanted to have one trip a year for ourselves. Our daughter is now in love with the island, and wishes she had come with us all those years. I think that mystery is good and kids will appreciate it more. To each his own :) I see the point of many people that would rather train their kids to appreciate nature than Disney Theme Parks. It really was not in the budget all those years to do two trips and I believe parents need a week alone each year to reconnect, JMHO!

So glad you love our little St John :)
momto3boys

Post by momto3boys »

Betty wrote:In my opinion snorkeling is a must for the full experience of St John. I vacationed here for 25 years and now call St John home. I have taught many people to swim and snorkel. My first suggestion to you would be buy a dry snorkel, I have rented fins and masks on vacations, but I always bring my dry snorkel. You will have so much more confidence if you are not drinking sea water. When we have non-swimmers down to visit us, I always take them to the last store on lower Mongoose to rent a flotation belt. Never feel embaressed not to swim or miss out on the experience of snorkeling, many people wear flotation devices and nobody will think less of you for being safe. They will think less of you if you step on the coral in a panic because you do not feel safe in the water. I also start teaching people at a calm beach in shallow water like Maho.

As for bringing kids, we did not until our daughter was 18 and mostly because we wanted to have one trip a year for ourselves. Our daughter is now in love with the island, and wishes she had come with us all those years. I think that mystery is good and kids will appreciate it more. To each his own :) I see the point of many people that would rather train their kids to appreciate nature than Disney Theme Parks. It really was not in the budget all those years to do two trips and I believe parents need a week alone each year to reconnect, JMHO!

So glad you love our little St John :)
I think we went in the store that you are talking about. I have never heard of the dry snorkel. I am going to look into those. maybe practice at our pool here. There is a place here that does swim lessons that seems like a good place to start. I also wondered if you could snorkel with a floating device. None of the people we saw snorkeling had one on. I bet whether I take lessons or not I would be more comfortable with a floating device of some sort.
loverotties

Post by loverotties »

Thanks for your trip report I enjoyed reading it . We also will be celebrating our 25th anniversary in St. John in Oct . Is the Lime N Coconuts at the Beach Bar a drink?
Wrinkles Only Go Where The Smiles Have Been !