Does this solve, once and for all, the Maho problem?

Travel discussion for St. John
augie

Does this solve, once and for all, the Maho problem?

Post by augie »

According to the article linked below, 58 acres of Maho have been bought by the NPS from the Trust for Public Land.

It sounds like the bay may now be free forever from the spectre of development, but I may be over optimistic in that regard (hope not!).

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/20 ... -acres9815
Come see us!
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

This sounds like it's land right at Big Maho. I don't think it addresses the issues re: the sale of the lands that Maho Bay Campgrounds sits on. The Marsh Family is still trying to sell that land, I believe.
hugo

Post by hugo »

This is a portion of the huge Maho watershed and beachfront acreage that TPL acquired from various members of the Marsh family. The Park can only afford to pay TPL for a portion at a time as budgets allow. There are several parcels that were kept back from the sale to TPL, some are now on the market.
The campground land at Lille Maho is not the Marsh family, it's people who have no other connection to St John than owning that land.
Additionally, the land at the far west end of big Maho Beach, where the switchback comes down by the shore, belonging to the Penn family of Tortola and St John, has apparently just been sold to someone who will build a large house there.
augie

Post by augie »

Dang.

Guess I'll be buying that Powerball ticket tonight after all.
Come see us!
StLytho

Post by StLytho »

Augie just brought up something that's been a question in my mind for some time. How many forumites buy lottery tickets with the first dream expenditure of paying for Maho Camp and freeing it up for the world?
augie

Post by augie »

StLytho wrote:Augie just brought up something that's been a question in my mind for some time. How many forumites buy lottery tickets with the first dream expenditure of paying for Maho Camp and freeing it up for the world?
To get things rolling, Eagle Ray Lover and myself make two...
Come see us!
jaq w

Post by jaq w »

On my short list too.
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

StLytho wrote:Augie just brought up something that's been a question in my mind for some time. How many forumites buy lottery tickets with the first dream expenditure of paying for Maho Camp and freeing it up for the world?
Actually, that is second on my list....first on the list is to call in rich where I work. :D :D

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

tjwgrr

Post by tjwgrr »

hugo wrote:This is a portion of the huge Maho watershed and beachfront acreage that TPL acquired from various members of the Marsh family. The Park can only afford to pay TPL for a portion at a time as budgets allow. There are several parcels that were kept back from the sale to TPL, some are now on the market.
The campground land at Lille Maho is not the Marsh family, it's people who have no other connection to St John than owning that land.

Looking at the map, I'm trying to determine what sections of big Maho Beach are still at risk and and potentially for sale. Is the section immediately to the west of where the North Shore road takes a sharp 90 degree turn at risk?
hugo wrote:Additionally, the land at the far west end of big Maho Beach, where the switchback comes down by the shore, belonging to the Penn family of Tortola and St John, has apparently just been sold to someone who will build a large house there.
Is that this parcel Islandia still shows for sale?

http://www.islandiarealestate.com/Detai ... &type=land

Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

The piece you posted from Islandia is the Maho Bay Campground acreage as stated - still for sale although the price is down to $19.5M.
The piece to the west of the 90' turn is still privately held as pictured and Hugo posted about the western end of the beach being developed.