Saint Pete Beach: anyone?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
XOXO

Saint Pete Beach: anyone?

Post by XOXO »

I know a lot of you like Key West and wondered if there is anyone on our forum who goes to Saint Pete beach. You know we LOVE St. John. But, we can only get away for 3 days and the flights are too spendy and too long to go to St. John for 3 days. ):

So, does anyone go? Will we be happy? Is it crowded?? Is there enough to do? I hoped it was not a tourist trap like a lot of Florida can be. But it is hard to tell.

Do you have any suggestions for a short trip? The flights that I found were about 8 hours. I just don't want to do that.
loria

Post by loria »

i did a trip to st pete beach this february and stayed at the don cesar (there are other options certainly) it was lovely-- there will be some crowds, but we didn;t find it at all overwhelming -- the TA forum has some good advice....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Thank you, Loria.

I am sorta thinking (gasp!!) about going to trade winds. That is probably stupid considering we don't like the touristy places and trade winds screams touristy. I need to make a decision soon.

I will check out Don Cesar's. I haven't found a lot of help on TA.

TY!
lprof

Post by lprof »

Although I have been to St Pete a few times, I can't offer much information that is current.

I also would suggest looking at the Don Cesar... "old Florida" and refurbished not too very long ago, I think.
http://www.loewshotels.com/en/Don-CeSar-Hotel/

Good to "see" you here again XOXO! Hope all is well.
Happy travels!
... no longer a stranger to paradise
INfamily

Post by INfamily »

I used to work at the front desk of the Don Cesar and I've always felt it was a special place. Fantastic beach, and the history there is very interesting. There's Ft DeSoto Beach nearby that's well worth a day or so. And there are lots of restaurant options in the vicinity.
I would recommend a stay at the Don!
loria

Post by loria »

the Don is a beautiful property -- it is a bit pricey though and you can find things that work just as well for less i imagine-- because it is an older property the rooms are a bit small -- but the service is really unparalleled-- we were treated very well while we were there. -- you can basically walk down the beach to pass-a grille a funky, lovely little town for breakfast or lunch or drinks-- and there are a couple of nice park areas (state parks i think) that you can either drive to or take a boat to -- there is a trolley service that runs up and down the beach area (sort of ending around the Don Cesar if memory serves)
if you wanted to get further off the beaten rack then i would suggest little gasparilla-- no cars, no stores.. just beach. you need to haul all of your groceries over via water taxi and you can rent a golf cart to get around-- it's about 45 minutes north of fort myers near port charlotte i think (and boca grande-- which was big gasparilla in another life)..
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

Thank you Loria, INfamily, and Iprof for the help!! AND, thank you, Iprof for the welcome. That means a lot.

I tried getting a reservation at Don CeSar and they are booked but the have a sister property that has a suite open. I really do put a lot of weight on the way reservations are handled. I really liked the person I was talking to at Don CeSar. But, their sister property gets really bad bad reviews. We can use everything at Don CeSar but we have gone that route before and it didn’t work very well---it is a bit of a production when it isn’t right there so we don’t optimize the amenities if we have to hop on a bus to get there.

So, I am still looking for a place to stay. That is 1/2 the fun right?

Loria, pass-a-grille sounds like a lot of fun!! I hope we can make it to Little Gasparilla.
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

I need a second--and 3rd opinion and, . . . . all opinions are appreciated!

can you look at this property on VRBO. Without knowing the area I really don't know if the location is ok. There aren't any reviews and that concerns me a little.

VRBO Listing #409616
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

https://foursquare.com/v/st-peters-beac ... 23c7affae6
Never been to the FL version but I do like this one.
P-600

Post by P-600 »

Check out www.postcardinn.com it is on St. Pete Beach and awesome! $89 rates Sun-Thurs right now.

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
loria

Post by loria »

P-600 wrote:Check out www.postcardinn.com it is on St. Pete Beach and awesome! $89 rates Sun-Thurs right now.
this is a place i really want to stay!!!!!!!-- y trip this february was about 'luxury' for my son.... but i LOVE the way this place looks!
XOXO

Post by XOXO »

P-600 and Loria, can you tell me more about post card inn?? I am just starting to research it. It looks like it will be a lot less hectic and crowded. I LOVE that.

I love the way they decorate!

xoxo
loria

Post by loria »

XOXO wrote:P-600 and Loria, can you tell me more about post card inn?? I am just starting to research it. It looks like it will be a lot less hectic and crowded. I LOVE that.

I love the way they decorate!

xoxo
I have never stayed there-- but the reviews on TA were all pretty solid.. i went ack to TA and there was one review in particular that gave me pause-- apparently a guy had real problems with noise -- now, this was in April during the height of the spring break season, so maybe that was the issue--and i can usually over look one or two bad reviews if a place is consistently getting great reviews otherwise-- still the noise thing would give me some second thoughts......
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

My ILs live in Largo and when we visit, we spend a lot of time in St. Pete Beach and Passe De Grill (sp?) I like the town.

Post Cart Inn is where I want to stay next time we visit.
Chet

Post by Chet »

PA Girl wrote:My ILs live in Largo and when we visit, we spend a lot of time in St. Pete Beach and Passe De Grill (sp?) I like the town.

Post Cart Inn is where I want to stay next time we visit.
My ILs lived in Largo, moved to Bloomington, IN. My SIL and hubby live in Largo. Look for dining along the canal, go to the museum, and go to Ybor City.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]