forgive me for bringing this up but.......

Travel discussion for St. John
bethany

forgive me for bringing this up but.......

Post by bethany »

I want to come to St. John soon (like the end of May) but read on another forum about a recent home invasion in a villa and a prowler at another. I am a single mom with two young adult children and the idea of anyone prowling is enuff to make me not want to come. Would we be better off in a condo development instead of an individual villa? Have no desire to stay in a big hotel. We are looking for budget accomodations and was considering Mollys Cottage. Any thoughts??? I know I will feel safe during the day, but want to feel safe at night while we sleep!!
thanks for any input to this first time visitor who has wanted to come to St. John FOREVER!!!
loria

Post by loria »

those are rare events-- in all probability you will be fine!!! i have been traveling there for 25 years and have never had an issue at all with theft or anything else.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
bethany

Post by bethany »

Yes, I am sure they are rare, but a tad bit disconcerting nonetheless. Thank you for your reply.
Iluvstjohn

Post by Iluvstjohn »

been there 9 times with 2 kids since they were babies...never had a problem or felt unsafe....just the normal "oddness" of not being in your home....I am sure you'll be fine....enjoy your trip...my kids consider st. john their second home...or go to for vacation. they are now 7 and 9!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

There have been incidents, but as long as you are diligent in using safes, not leaving expensive stuff lying in plain sight, and not wearing flashy expensive bling, you'll be fine. Lock your doors. Put a broom pole in the sliders area so they can't be opened. Leave outdoor lighting on. You could even buy a cheapo security system. Share your concerns with the villa company and ask what could be done.
I personally would feel more safe in a set of condos than I would in an isolated villa.
I'm a big worrywart, but I'm encouraging you to go. It's going to far surpass your finest imagining! And then you're putting every penny away for the soonest return possible :)
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Those accounts are always scary to hear. But honestly, I hear the same things by my home and I don't live in a high crime area. We use usual precautions like Minde said (don't leave valuables out, use a safe, lock doors, etc).
If you don't want to stay at a hotel, but still want someone near you just in case then consider staying at a villa that has a caretaker on the premises.
Tickerless :(
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

I agree. Take normal precautions and then enjoy. We have been lucky to stay in 2 great places with the owner on premisis (yet they were not in our way). That is really nice.
cmw5682

Post by cmw5682 »

I'm in my 20's and 2 years ago my then 18 year old sister took a girls' vacation to St. John. Never once did we feel unsafe and that's huge considering I'm Miss Paranoia! We kept the windows and doors locked at night and while we were gone and we did not get wasted or stay out late at night, but these are also precautions I take at home in my giant town of 1,100 people!! Things do rarely happen, but they happen everywhere on Earth so use common sense and have fun!!
Sadly, I am tickerless :(
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

I've never been worried when there but if it is going to ruin your vacation don't go. You can't live in fear all your life. the best thing to do is not go looking for trouble weather on island or over analyzing it on the internet thousands of people go every month and don't have a problem.
Tom
petepie

Post by petepie »

I generally feel very safe on St. John but there are some things you can do to improve your safety in a villa rental. 1) We don't bring valuables or wear valuable jewelry. I don't want to lose a good ring or other jewelry while snorkeling and don't want to leave it behind in the villa so just don't bring it. 2) we hide electronics if we leave them in the house, 3) we always lock up when we leave during the day and when we're in the house for the night. To do that, you need good A/C in the bedrooms as well as windows and doors that can be secured. Some villas even have security systems (I think Miles Away may have it) A lot of the houses have a very open design, so ask the rental agents if the house you're looking at can be easily secured.

Finally if you think that you would feel more comfortable with other people around, consider renting a condo (Palm Villas, Grande Bay, Lavender Hill, Battery Hill, Cruz Views, Gallows etc.), a resort (Westin, Caneel, Estate Lindholm) or a house that is part of a larger estate/house (Blue Aweigh, Waterklip suite, Blue Bitch etc.) or is close to another house (Rhumb Runners, Seabiscuit, Bay House, several of the homes out along Maria Bluff - Serenity, Coqui, Villa Maria, Belvedere, Viridian Garden).

So, maybe the answer isn't whether to go or not go, but can you make yourself feel more comfortable by looking at the type of place you want to stay in.
bethany

Post by bethany »

This is great information to have. Thank you for the names of specific properties. I think you are right. If we are closer to other people and less isolated I will feel safer. Thanks again!
wyoMel

Post by wyoMel »

i am a HUGE worrywart myself too and have read a few of these threads about crime and such which get me all worked up, so i understand your concern. i have to talk myself down and remind myself that crime happens everywhere. i live in a small town in wyoming and last year there was a break in and murder, which was a huge shock to everyone here - most who don't ever lock their doors! it was a freak thing and would never make me want to move away. like everyone said just take the same precautions you would anywhere and try not to let the worry ruin your hard earned vacation. (easier said than done i know personally!) if i let all my issues stop me i would never go anywhere.