17 days to Coral Bay: Shipping Boxes

Travel discussion for St. John
augie

Post by augie »

nuendelcapecod wrote: still can't understand why people mail ahead when it's affordable and not inconvenient to check an additional bag.
For us, it's;

Cheaper than checking a bag.

We're out of the terminal and on our way to Red Hook while others are still waiting for their bag to hit the carousel.

Not having a checked bag helps us to do a better job of leaving the stuff we don't need at home.
Come see us!
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

augie wrote:
nuendelcapecod wrote: still can't understand why people mail ahead when it's affordable and not inconvenient to check an additional bag.
For us, it's;

Cheaper than checking a bag.

We're out of the terminal and on our way to Red Hook while others are still waiting for their bag to hit the carousel.

Not having a checked bag helps us to do a better job of leaving the stuff we don't need at home.

It is a terrible thing when you get to your destination and there are no bags waiting for you. When you need to stay by the phone hoping that your bag will arrive. When, after day 3, you realize that youa re not getting your stuff.
I have had it happen and I will never have it happen again.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Xislandgirl wrote:
It is a terrible thing when you get to your destination and there are no bags waiting for you. When you need to stay by the phone hoping that your bag will arrive. When, after day 3, you realize that youa re not getting your stuff.
I have had it happen and I will never have it happen again.
We had that happen and I agree, it is awful. My husband flew down in winter clothing, the only time he ever did that, and was stuck with nothing to wear. He wears size 14/15 shoes, not so easy to find anything to fit on STJ! One of my mom's bags was also delayed and I thought she was going to go into withdraw because her special stash of chocolate was in that bag. Seriously, she was like a smokers without her cigs. We did get them back by the end of day two but it was a giant pain in the butt.

We will always be checkers but now I cross pack everyone so if bag does get lost, we can get by with minimal stress.
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

GotToGetAway wrote:Next time you can have the boxes shipped to your house. Go on the USPS website and order the right size boxes (or even a variety pack). It's free and they ship them right to you. Just order them in plenty of time to have them arrive before you need to pack them up and ship them off.
That is exactly why I ship a box. I have never had that much trouble though. Sorry you had a bad time!
Bonny in CA

Post by Bonny in CA »

My husband and I each carried one carry on, mine had the things that couldn't be replaced (laptop, Rx's, cameras, iPod), his was completely full of snack foods!! We each had one outfit and a swimsuit in our carry ons too.

We checked one huge suitcase that had all of our clothes. We paid for the trip insurance and if our luggage was lost it would pay $100 for each of us, per day until our luggage is found, or we go home. So, I figured the worst that could happen was we would both get a new summer wardrobe!

And I don't really need that much of an excuse to go shopping on St. John!
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

FYI mailed flat rate priority boxes Monday. They were due to arrive on Thursday and arrived today (Saturday) instead. Not bad. Just wanted to let people know the time frame so they can judge when to send.
Tickerless :(
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Capn Dan and Ruby wrote:
GotToGetAway wrote:Next time you can have the boxes shipped to your house. Go on the USPS website and order the right size boxes (or even a variety pack). It's free and they ship them right to you. Just order them in plenty of time to have them arrive before you need to pack them up and ship them off.
That is exactly why I ship a box. I have never had that much trouble though. Sorry you had a bad time!
Man, did I pick the wrong quote! :oops: I meant to quote about loosing checked bags. Oh well... :oops: :? I will be shipping a box. It is always a flat rate box, and I have not had problems todate... one thing though, I don't ship things that would be tough to replace.