Do you have a moment?

Travel discussion for St. John
CreativeName

Do you have a moment?

Post by CreativeName »

I liked St. John from the start, but I do have a moment that defines the whole experience.

I think it was a few days in to the trip. We spent a long morning at the beach. After coming back to the villa I laid down on the bed. When I woke up a bit later (I NEVER nap)it took me a second to figure out where I was and then I smiled. I got up and realized that my wife wasn't inside the villa. I walked outside on to the deck and in to the warm air and light breeze. I saw my wife floating in the pool with out a care in the world. That moment standing there a little sleepy and taking in the scene, my wife looked up and smiled at me. I thought to myself, I absolutely love this place. contentment, that is the word, in its purest form.

We had an amazing time, and the moments that I love are many. However, when I really think back to what hooked me, it was that exact moment. I swear to you I can smell the air sometimes when I really dwell on that day.

So, am I alone on this?

Creativename
17th Hole

Post by 17th Hole »

I think I have that moment every time we go. Although, I didn't realize until I read your post what was so special about that moment. I mean, I always feel that moment - that moment when everything else in the world drifts away and I relax down to my core. However, I just now realized that there is a second level of satisfaction that comes from seeing the person you care about more than anything else in the universe also find that core relaxation and contentment. I know my wife very rarely feels that way at home, so seeing how she feels in St John always fills my heart with...with...something - there are so many words I can put here but none of them would describe exactly what it is. It's just a magical feeling. It's the reason I keep taking her there. It's the reason I want to be there with her. It's the reason I want her to be there with me. We connect in St John like no place else in the world. Wow. Reading your post just opened my eyes a little to where the magical feeling was coming from! Thanks for sharing!

So a quick check of my ticker and I see - soon come!!!
A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

snorkelqueen

Post by snorkelqueen »

YOU ARE NOT ALONE! This is why we have come back every year for 11 years! Last year I recorded tree frogs "purr-peeping" at dusk for my ring tone and I play it every once in a while just to take me back. St. John is my magic place. So glad you "got it too!!"
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Mine was when we were getting off the plane I had to push my wife through ORD in a wheel chair she was so run down from cancer and chemo but when she got to the top of the stairs and it was a huge weight was lifted off her shoulders for the next ten day she was her old self maybe a little slower getting around but with the spark for life that drew me to her in the first place. She died one month later but I'll always remember her and my happy place
Tom
michigan girls

Post by michigan girls »

That was beautiful, just thought I'd let you know you made me all teary-eyed. It's a good thing
snorkelqueen

Post by snorkelqueen »

Waterguy - I say a hello and a prayer for both of you every year when I first get to Hawkesnest. Take care.
17th Hole

Post by 17th Hole »

Hawksnest always makes me think of you, Waterguy.
A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open.

Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Oh no....you hit the nail precisely on the head! THAT is exactly how I feel on each and every trip to that island. The first time was the satisfaction of my daughter showing me the sights that she had found in the first few days preceding my arrival. Every trip since then has been MY satisfaction of showing at least ONE newbie the incredible views at every turn. Even if there are no newbies, I can conjure up an incredible experience based on the recommendations from others on this site. Thank you all for the wonderful sharing that takes place here!! I just wish there was a time that we could all get together!
Chris @ Work

Post by Chris @ Work »

That place...that person...that moment...

You got it just fine.
[/url]
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

My moment came on our second trip. At 5 months pregnant laying on the beach at Trunk, the sun warming my body, I felt the baby kick for the first time. That's when I knew there was something so special about my surroundings that even the baby could sense it too.
Tickerless :(
mnfun2bme

Post by mnfun2bme »

Wow.... I had to get in on this post. These are beautiful sentiments!

My moment was standing at Annaberg and looking over the waters off the shore. That moment of complete peace when tears just stream down your face because you have never felt such incredible peace.

St John is deep in my soul. Time for a ticker!
byado18

Post by byado18 »

Wishing for a simple FB "like."
jmq

Post by jmq »

Creativename - thanks for sharing your "STJ Moment of Zen".
And re your "smell the air" comment, wait til you go back - it is that underated sense that will make the memories flood.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

Nope, not alone...for me and my family EVERY trip is like coming 'home'... :wink:
nuendelcapecod

What a wonderful post

Post by nuendelcapecod »

I love the answers this is drawing. This year I remember saying repeatedly "I love this vacation". Because it truly is a vacation. We do some traveling - headed out to the National Parks next month- but St. John at Cinnamon Bay Campground is a real vacation. Sitting on our inflatable thrones looking out at Cinnamon Cay early before the day trippers arrive, with the pelicans and that electric aqua water and golden sand - aaah. Who cares about the mosquito bites and lost camera and aching back? Can't wait for next year!!