Lovango first thoughts

Travel discussion for St. John
Muhaha

Lovango first thoughts

Post by Muhaha »

We just returned from 8 days on Lovango at the Beach House. We do plan to do a trip report in a few days, but wanted to share some thoughts on Lovango.

First - Dan and Marcy were awesome. Dan is full of stories about the island and STJ, and Marcy has a huge heart. She brought her dogs and horse down to the beach on day 2 so that my daughter could ride along the beach. Later that evening, we had to make an emergency run to the clinic for our 3 year old who had fallen and cut her chin. Marcy had us there in no time. They really made the stay both enjoyable and possible.

On Lovango itself - The island and the beach house are both incredible. We were lulled to sleep each night (and sometimes in the afternoon) by the sound of waves gently sweeping across the shore 30 feet away. On other trips to STJ, I never get much villa gravity time because our family wants to maximize our time on the island. On Lovango it was more of a beach gravity. If some of us wanted to snorkle, kayak, or explore, no problem. They could do so while those who didn't sat back on the deck with a book, tanned in the beachside hammock, or combed for sea shells. This sort of situation had an odd effect on vacation - it actually felt like our vacation lasted longer. When staying at a traditional villa, the days can get a bit hectic and seem to fly by as we make plans to load up and go from beach to beach and to town, always thinking ahead on both what we will do next and the logistics involved. On Lovango, there were no such plans. The days were lazy but yet full of possibilities.

To actually be staying right on a beach where snorkel charters flock to at 10am and 2pm speaks volumes about the quality of the snorkeling just off the beach. We saw sea turtles, sting rays, eels, and even a nurse shark just off of our front porch. Before going I was concerned that we might get bored with the same snorkel every day, but that clearly was not the case. We don't think we managed to fully explore the reef, and we never really felt the need to go anywhere else. It was amazing.

And my final point, Lovango is isolated. To get to Cruz Bay you need to dinghy in, which Dan and Marcy graciously did for us. But isolation is what we were looking for, and we did not take too many trips into town. On the way in, we had a shopping list and stopped at Food Center near Red Hook for the week's supply of groceries and we ate in most nights. We did manage to eat out a few times (Beach Bar, La Tapa, and Banana Deck), but most nights were spent quietly with the family eating together on Lovango. If this is not your style, you would probably need to rent a dinghy for the week.

Just some thoughts that I wanted to share with the forum as there is so little first hand information available on this unique house and island.
PA Girl

Re: Lovango first thoughts

Post by PA Girl »

Muhaha wrote: When staying at a traditional villa, the days can get a bit hectic and seem to fly by as we make plans to load up and go from beach to beach and to town, always thinking ahead on both what we will do next and the logistics involved. On Lovango, there were no such plans. The days were lazy but yet full of possibilities.
The above really speaks to me. Because of personalities, it falls to me to keep everyone in our family moving toward everything on vacation.

I am looking forward to your trip report.

How long did it take you to get over to Cruz Bay?
Muhaha

Post by Muhaha »

There was absolutely no need for planning. Everything you could imagine doing around the water was accessible right from the front door. I loved that no one had to compromise in our large family, we all could do (or not do) on our own schedule right from the house, yet still be together. This really did have an amazing effect on time, the days slowly melted away at a relaxing pace.

On the time to Cruz Bay, about 10 minutes depending on water conditions.
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

How do the beaches compare to STJ?
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
Muhaha

Post by Muhaha »

Teresa_Rae wrote:How do the beaches compare to STJ?
It depends on what you are looking for, snorkeling versus swimming. The beach is long, about the length of Francis. From the dock to the east, it is a smooth rock beach while to the west it is sandy and reminds me of the Jumbie beach. However there is coral immediately offshore along the entire length, so wading around waist-deep is not a good idea. You could certainly float around on a raft and there are kayak's available on the property.

The water itself was clear even on somewhat choppy days. The waves were small.
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Muhaha!I get it! You know how you have to get St. John, well... We get Lovango! Last years trip for us was the best vacation I have EVER had!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8) Our dream is to return! I love St. John, and I love different places there for different reasons, but Lovango is my place of peace and healing. I say to all you have said...Amen and Amen!!!!!!!
Muhaha

Post by Muhaha »

Capn Dan and Ruby wrote:Muhaha!I get it! You know how you have to get St. John, well... We get Lovango! Last years trip for us was the best vacation I have EVER had!!!!!!!!!!!! 8) 8) 8) Our dream is to return! I love St. John, and I love different places there for different reasons, but Lovango is my place of peace and healing. I say to all you have said...Amen and Amen!!!!!!!
We saw your sketch in the guest book and it made us smile.
msgcolleen

Post by msgcolleen »

We loved Lovango too! Mesmerizing! It was so hard to leave!It is the perfect vacation for limin'~ :wink:
I've got 2 tickets to paradise~Pack your bags we'll leave tonight!

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
Dome526

Post by Dome526 »

I just checked out Lovango...unless I found the wrong place....about $7,000 for a week! If you can afford $7000/week, yikes...
Muhaha wrote:We just returned from 8 days on Lovango at the Beach House. We do plan to do a trip report in a few days, but wanted to share some thoughts on Lovango.

First - Dan and Marcy were awesome. Dan is full of stories about the island and STJ, and Marcy has a huge heart. She brought her dogs and horse down to the beach on day 2 so that my daughter could ride along the beach. Later that evening, we had to make an emergency run to the clinic for our 3 year old who had fallen and cut her chin. Marcy had us there in no time. They really made the stay both enjoyable and possible.

On Lovango itself - The island and the beach house are both incredible. We were lulled to sleep each night (and sometimes in the afternoon) by the sound of waves gently sweeping across the shore 30 feet away. On other trips to STJ, I never get much villa gravity time because our family wants to maximize our time on the island. On Lovango it was more of a beach gravity. If some of us wanted to snorkle, kayak, or explore, no problem. They could do so while those who didn't sat back on the deck with a book, tanned in the beachside hammock, or combed for sea shells. This sort of situation had an odd effect on vacation - it actually felt like our vacation lasted longer. When staying at a traditional villa, the days can get a bit hectic and seem to fly by as we make plans to load up and go from beach to beach and to town, always thinking ahead on both what we will do next and the logistics involved. On Lovango, there were no such plans. The days were lazy but yet full of possibilities.

To actually be staying right on a beach where snorkel charters flock to at 10am and 2pm speaks volumes about the quality of the snorkeling just off the beach. We saw sea turtles, sting rays, eels, and even a nurse shark just off of our front porch. Before going I was concerned that we might get bored with the same snorkel every day, but that clearly was not the case. We don't think we managed to fully explore the reef, and we never really felt the need to go anywhere else. It was amazing.

And my final point, Lovango is isolated. To get to Cruz Bay you need to dinghy in, which Dan and Marcy graciously did for us. But isolation is what we were looking for, and we did not take too many trips into town. On the way in, we had a shopping list and stopped at Food Center near Red Hook for the week's supply of groceries and we ate in most nights. We did manage to eat out a few times (Beach Bar, La Tapa, and Banana Deck), but most nights were spent quietly with the family eating together on Lovango. If this is not your style, you would probably need to rent a dinghy for the week.

Just some thoughts that I wanted to share with the forum as there is so little first hand information available on this unique house and island.
Capn Dan and Ruby

Post by Capn Dan and Ruby »

Wow! Price went up :shock: Still if I get a windfall I'll be there! :wink: It is worth every dime!