I HATE US AIRWAYS!

Travel discussion for St. John
Betty

Post by Betty »

2FarNorth ... you and my husband have the same mantra, he says it is the only way to survive when you travel all the time for business! He always has his i-pod, bose headset, some power bars and a good book to read during all his long delays :wink:
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
bert

Post by bert »

I don't think that Palmtrees is being rude or abusive. I think he or she is venturing a different opinion than the original poster. I don't have anything to offer to this (interesting) thread because I don't usually fly US Air or go to PHL. I do believe that all of us here on this great board have to show tolerence for each other's opinions when stated in a civil manner. For me, the point where a post goes beyond civility is when posters start calling each other names. That's usually when I stop reading. So lighten up, please. This is a great subject and worthy of free and open discussion. It even got my attention!

peace.... bert
mrsb

Post by mrsb »

JT wrote:I think all of us forumites should pool our money and just buy a damned plane. I'll build shelves for the liquor, so as the evil Phillieites don't steal it. OK,now everybody play nice.
P&H, JT
JT- You don't know how many times I have thought the exact same thing (or at least chartering) especially after being picked out of the "line-up" at PBI yesterday to be personally searched in front of the other boarding passengers.
It must have been target practice because TSA just hovered over the only boarding flight for Southwest in that terminal like freaking prison guards. One woman just kept lurking over MRb's shoulder and looking at his laptop.
The guy in front of me who was also searched said it seems like prison-too right! How many times do they need to x-ray and wand wave my GD shoes? I think we are going towards having to walk nekkid through an x-ray machine while holding ass cheeks apart for inspection :roll:

Oh, how dare everyone bash "Filthadelphia" :D It's the kind of rudeness you just can't get anywhere else (except Miami- you get it in two languages there) Actually, Philly has always been kind to us maybe because we are from here, I dunno.
I empathize but even my hot, hot temper that I reserve for home does not come out at the airport and it will not. I have accepted that no airline will fly on time, that flight attendants will be rude and bitchy and that even at 5'2" I will be crammed in my seat. I expcet my luggage to be lost or stolen which is why I always buy insurance. I have not travelled much but the last three vacations have been met with three airport delays, the worst being held at Miami for 8 hours waiting on a plane to STT. Think it's bad waiting to get home? How bout losing a day or more of vacation out of a mere week and not getting reimbursed by trip insurance because we still got to sleep at the villa? Now I can say that I paid over $400 a night to sleep somewhere. It stinks but there was nothing that they(pilots, cutomer service) could do. They gave us little food vouchers and then we waited while 200 people tried to eat at the same place. Then they sent a $50 travel voucher at home. As an aside we did board one plane, sat on it for over an hour and then were told we could get off and leave our stuff on the plane. I was uneasy doing this and in the end we did not use that plane for take off and had to tell the desk that our stuff was still on there. I would not leave stuff on a plane again like that.

One thing that did help and I know many people will say they will never fly "insert name here" airline again but.... if you get home and sign up for their miles program and then write a real pissy letter about your losses and delay, they will credit a bunch of miles to you and maybe by next time you can upgrade your seat. Elaine from Catered To told us that bit of helpful info. Our longest delay was on AA and they did give us 10,000 miles each. We will be flying first class this year. We were also delayed for over 2 hours by US air the year before (sat on plane for two hours in the heat) and just had an hour delay on Southwest. Sh*t happens, accept it and then try to forget about that part of your trip.
When will I see St John again?
Palmtrees

Post by Palmtrees »

Sorry if I've ruffled some feathers here, but this is, by definition, a place for discussion. "Rude and abrasive" to me is making unfounded accusations upon an entire group of employees ie. "US Air employees stole our liquor package."

I must admit that the person I thought was trying to "pin it" on anyone was not the original poster, but merely a spokesperson-after-the-fact unable to answer my question regarding specifics; my apologies.

Having spent many years as a "road warrior" traveling weekly on business, it is my experience that those people who come on a plane during intermediate stops to service the aircraft are generally minimum wage employees of the lowest bidder companies contracted by the airlines. They are NOT airline employees.

Enough has been said on the subject - I'm done. Thanks to those posters who look forward to true discussion without ad hominum attacks. Perhaps those too thin skinned to be disagreed with in public should keep their writings private.
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
DELETED

Post by DELETED »

DELETED
Laura T

Post by Laura T »

Interesting post...

As a very frequent flier, I find that I hate any airline on any given day. We had a bad experience coming back on US Air from STT in February. Their systems were down and everything was a chaotic mess and they issued paper boarding passess and advised many of of that we had "open boarding." It was a difficult situation that was made worse by the very apparrent lack of interest (or ability) of the gate agents to make things run better. It was a mob scene.

Right now, it's United that is on my naughty list...we are going to New Zealand next year (yes, I will miss St. John) and booking the trip with miles has been beyond difficult.

I find it very hit or miss with the airlines...I fly a lot of them and have yet to come across an airline that I truly think does a good job consistently. When you fly as much as I do, you learn to expect it.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Just out of curiosity after reading this post, I did a little checking. It is interesting what you will find when you check out someone's post history.

Just saying.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

X - that is the nice thing about the member list isn't it? You can learn quickly what to take with a grain of salt!
Suds

Post by Suds »

Being from the area I can only say that I know I'm home when things are broken and no one cares.

Think about it, the symbol of the city is a defective bell which broke, was incorrectly repaired and the guys that made it misspelled Pennsylvania! It really speaks volumes about the predominate mindset.

There are some good things about Phila but I wouldn't count on finding them. God bless all those poor souls who have to travel though here because it must be quite shocking.

Suds
Jerseyboy

Post by Jerseyboy »

Xislandgirl wrote:Just out of curiosity after reading this post, I did a little checking. It is interesting what you will find when you check out someone's post history.

Just saying.
XIG - Totally agree. I did the same in the midst of this thread. Very nasty tone and heavy use of :evil:
kirk

Post by kirk »

Jerseyboy wrote:
Xislandgirl wrote:Just out of curiosity after reading this post, I did a little checking. It is interesting what you will find when you check out someone's post history.

Just saying.
XIG - Totally agree. I did the same in the midst of this thread. Very nasty tone and heavy use of :evil:
I deal with this type of stuff all day. i'm a staff member of a very large website, 124,615 active members. having 5-8000 members on-line at any given moment keeps my hands full. the 2 or 3 trolls this website has are pikers compared to the semi-pro ones i deal with. :lol:
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

thanks for the tip I won't get upset tell I check out the persons other posts
Tom
canucknyc

Post by canucknyc »

Just saying.
So glad you said that! I've been wanting to, but wasn't quite sure on how to word it. Thank you. :)