If you've done STJ with a 1 year old, would you again?

Travel discussion for St. John
Nic in KC

If you've done STJ with a 1 year old, would you again?

Post by Nic in KC »

We cancelled our trip last summer deciding not to travel with a newborn. Now, we are looking at going with a 1 year old in June.

If you'd done the trip with this age, would you again? My parents will travel with us.

Thanks for your help! It's good to be on the boards again seeing what everyone is up to!

Nicolle
loria

Post by loria »

ok, so not technically a 1 yr old, but have done it with a 9 month old and a just turned 3 year old...
and yes, i would do it again.--it's a bit of a different trip obviously and depends on your kid--
you need to deal with nap times and racing around on the beach... but you do that at home anyway....(well maybe not eh beach part, but the racing around and naps part)
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Yes I would do it again in a heartbeat. We were blessed with a beach napper (I had a little tent) and otherwise, it was just like life at home only better.
FinsUp

Post by FinsUp »

Our first trip to STJ our youngest was 1 1/2 and we had no problems. We also had a 3 yo and a 4 1/2 yo as well. We have been blessed with good nappers and really tried to respect their nap times. We would always make our way back to the villa mid afternoon and get them down for their nap. It really wasn't bad at all..just like home but a much better surrounding!! :D
melmd

Post by melmd »

YES. I did it the first time when my daughter was 2.8 yrs and the second time when she was 4 and baby boy was 9 months. We travelled with grandparents and that made everything easier.

Read through all the kid posts on here for great ideas. BRING a pop up tent!!

Enjoy

mel
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Yes! I have done it with a 10 mo old, 19 month old, 2.5 year old, 3, 4, and so on....

It is a different trip - the one with the 19 month old was the toughest - but totally worth it every time.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

One thing I would suggest if budget allows is booking a private taxi. (and water taxi too)

I like knowing we aren't rushed. The driver loads the luggage as I install the carseat. Not as much of an issue now (son is in a booster now) but back then, it gave me peace of mind. Someone posted a horror story about a carseat issue on a public taxi a while back.
Nic in KC

Post by Nic in KC »

Thanks all! He's a pretty easy going little guy right now so hopefully he'll be the same in three more months.

I definitely want the private taxi! Flip, I've read all your trip reports longing for the day that I could take a little one with us so, you are part of my encouragement! :-)

Thanks again!
Nicolle
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I am glad to hear you are planning a trip :)

I was not happy with our equipment rental experience so if you plan on renting anything, drop me a pm.
Jumbiegirl

Post by Jumbiegirl »

We did it with a 2½ year old and even had 2 sets of grandparents with us and I wouldn't do it again.
Trip #14 comes June 11, 2015!!
54b

Post by 54b »

Enjoying reading the comments...my wife and I are still mulling over taking our youngest (she'd be 1.5 when we go) versus leaving her with grandparents.

We also have a 7-year old who will be going for the first time, so we're thinking we'll have our hands full with him.

And then there was this article...

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/lifestyle/2 ... the-first/
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
CBama

Post by CBama »

not St John but we did trip to Maui with 2 and 5 year old...even flew standby buddy passes ATL to LA to Maui...
got stranded in LA coming back home...left Maui to Honolulu 5:30 pm to La (arrived early morning with time difference), birds flew into engine on arriving flight which caused a backlog of travelers stranded.... delta agent helped advise me of possible route home...flew via Phoenix to ATL...arrived at midnight....(the next day) realized we had not eaten a meal except breakfast and ice cream cone for kids....

so after that experience...the kids did fine!!

I think it all depends on you and your child if they are good at adapting and going with the flow...We have always taken our kids everywhere...it involves more STUFF but you create precious memories... (2 yr old remembers the plane from the Maui trip and five year old still remembers getting sandblasted on beach)

They are grown and gone so fast when you look back...that every memory of fun times is precious....sure it takes a little more work but to me it's always been worth it...
my kids are now 20 and 17....
Iluvstjohn

Post by Iluvstjohn »

we went my kids were 1 year (exactly), 2ys and 4 years, 3 and 5 years, 6 and 8....and it just keeps getting better and better! Do it!
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

Did it when my son was 9 months old, he's now 13 and yes, I would do it again. My 16 yr old daughter was harder because she's always bored and missing her friends and what's going on at home. Some will disagree but I took HIS car seat so he sat and slept in something of his in the car, on the plane and our Jeep rental which "I think" made him comfortable. He also loved napping by the water in the shade at Maho. Just be warned, it starts the St. John addiction early
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

I thought you were completely nuts when you wanted to take a newborn :lol:

But I have taken a 1 year old.

How old are we talking here? There's a big difference between a 12 month old and a 23 month old.

Our daughter turned 17 months old while we were on STJ last year. It was definitely a very different trip with her along. My parents came with us and without them I would have lost my mind.

It took a long time for the little one to get into the routine. It took about a week for her to get into the swing of things.

There was no way I could have been separated from our daughter for 10 nights, breast milk was still a huge part of her diet then and she was too young to leave at home.

This year my husband wants to leave our daughter with my parents and go to STJ and even though she just weaned herself there is no way I can be apart from her for that long, she is just too young.

So for me there is no option, if I want to go to STJ, it means there will be a toddler with us.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain