Top 10

Travel discussion for St. John
Bigcheeze

Top 10

Post by Bigcheeze »

As we get closer to our next adventure, we try to narrow it down to the TOP 10(deffernce to Letterman) things that give us that Ahhh feeling...(if we can even narrow it down to 10);

10. Planning (almost half of the trip)
9. Realizing we don't have to plan so much
8. That warm, humid, smells of the island when we get off the plane
7. Driving on the left again
6. the thrill of a new villa
5. Seeing Cruz Bay
4. That 1st drive on the North shore...taking in all the senic pulloffs, while taking in the island fuana
3. The warm water, dessserted beaches, underwater wonders,
2. The chillaxing at the villa...the chill at the watering holes
1. the entire vibe of being at your Special Place that makes you giddy when you think about it..and causes others to look in wonder what it means to Get IT,as you try in vain to describe why the Rock/Love City is part of your very being, mind, blood and soul.

just give an AMEN if you agree...and add a few of your own...LOL
KatieH

Post by KatieH »

I love this! Here's my list - in the order they're experienced:

1. The scent of tropical island (and some jet fuel) when you get off of the plane.
2. The crazy ride (taxi or car) to the ferry.
3. The ferry ride, wind in my hair, heart filled with joy
4. Going into Starfish Market and knowing where everything is.
5. The views from the North Shore road.
6. Snorkeling
7. The feel of the sand in my toes (expecially at Honeymoon)
8. Sitting on the balcony with a cup of coffee (or a glass of wine) gazing at the water.
9. Seeing it all from the water on a daysail
10. The feeling that I'm home, as in a known, beloved place, and utterly content.
madness

Post by madness »

I second both top ten lists, but will add two things:
1. The rum shots in the airport
2. Zipping off the pant legs and converting to shorts while in line for the bathroom!
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

AMEN - except for 7. Driving on the left again. I still don't get that :(
janet
BuffaloGal

Post by BuffaloGal »

Amen! Add in the wonderful silence you enjoy when you snorkel, interrupted only by the crunching of Parrot Fish and gentle swoosh of the water. Nothing like it!
Beesmom

Post by Beesmom »

All of these are great!

I would add watching the ocean while the plane comes in for landing. It's always a hoot because them waves look awful close just before you see the runway.

I'm also very fond of recognizing cays, bays, stores, villas, buoys, and other landmarks while riding on the ferry out to St. John (the reverse trip not so much).

-Sandy (also, that first beer on island is always the best beer ever)
54b

Post by 54b »

A few more...

1) The hour layover in Miami at the Mojito Bar - still a ways to go, but the vacation has officially started....one of the few times I enjoy being in an airport.

2) Following the villa host thru the villa for this first time and discovering things you didn't know about from the overview online.

3) That odd sinking feeling of anticipation you get driving down Northshore road and then weird sense of simultaneous relief and small victory when there's a spot left open at the Gibney Gate.

4) Not knowing what awaits when you get up each day, only that it'll likely be one of the best, most memorable days of your life.

5) Going home five pounds lighter...I know that sounds odd, but I actually lose weight after a week on STJ. And it's not like I'm starving myself or wearing a sweat suit all over the island...in fact, I eat fairly poorly when you consider all the burgers, conch fritters, beer, rum, etc. But I must burn like 10x more calories a day hiking and swimming and running around in the heat on STJ than I do in a normal day back home working a desk job in the A/C. It also helps that I'm not one of those people that can sit still for more than about 30 minutes...my wife is content to read a book for 3 hours on a beach and when she does that, I go on a marathon snorkel.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

in no particular order:
1. rum shot at the airport.
2. first donkey sight.
3. first mongoose sighting.
4. the car barge ride, and getting out of the car and feeling the spray of the water!
5. the first dip of my toes in the water.
6. seeing my first underwater creature to say "Your home!"
7. the first night dinner/ drink out after a busy travel day when you breathe.
8. meeting another local and knowing why that we love this place not only for the natural beauty!
9. seeing a palm tree and thinking it is much more beautiful than the ones in Florida- don't know why- maybe because I am just relaxed!
10. having that first deep intense conversation with my sweetheart - whether it's rum induced or not - it happens every trip and it is wonderful!!!!
God I love it there!!!!\ and I need to put my second ticker on my profile right now!!!!!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting