Outer Banks, Myrtle Beach,or Ocean City Maryland?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
philbetm

Post by philbetm »

Hi Jim,

If that is the only options you have ... then I would suggest OB...been going to MB since I was a young teenager (long...long..ago) it has changed so much that it is mostly just a concrete tourist trap. Don't get me wrong, I still love to go there for 2 or 3 nights but never a week ! If however, You also could get that same free offer in Charleston,SC...go for it! The history, the port town the local beaches at Sullivans Island and Isle of Palms are glorious ! Wonderful rest. everywhere and great Low Country southern charm. Beautiful oaks draped in Spanish Moss! I could go on an on about things we have experienced there . :D It's our newest favorite place next to STJ. Have even talked about moving there!! Good luck with your decision. And by the way...HOW DOES ONE MANAGE TO GET A FREE TIMESHARE WEEK...I hear about it but never manage to find it?? :(
" I believe there's Magic here...."
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

We went to Corolla several years ago (at least 12 years, maybe more!) and I remember there wasn't much of anything there, which can be a very good thing. I remember driving 45 minutes to go at a bar, the first bar we could find. Maybe it has gotten more developed since then.

We stayed at the way up at the very top of the island and we drove up the beach to Virginia. This was in April, I don't know it that is still allowed or not. It was pretty cool, there are a bunch of houses up there and the only access is from the beach. We saw lots of families with trailers that appeared to be readying their places for the summer.

If you want to head north, we love Block Island and I can give you some tips. Block Island and STJ share a lot of similar features, vast tracks of protected land, walking trails, water sports, beautiful empty beaches, great little town for drinks and dinner but the water will be cold.
Chet

Post by Chet »

OBX, September. We really enjoy the shoulder months at the Delaware beaches. August is crazy-busy high season and can be hot as hell.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

[/url]
brooklyn

Post by brooklyn »

Go to OBX but do get trip insurance if you are going in Aug/Sept. We went last Aug right after Irene. Nags Head and really enjoyed it. If you like huge McMansions then Corolla is for you. It wasn't for us. If you like a more rustic feel look at Nags Head etc or Hatteras, which I can't tell you about because access was cutoff when we went to the OBX.
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

Puddlejumper wrote: I had to laugh at this, BUT. Pip, what the heck are you doing telling the folks about EI? The OBX is just a perfect place for tourists! It really is! Tons of other people that love to be loud, and act like...well, tourists.

MahoJim, enjoy your trip! The OBX is no Maho or Love City, but it sure beats MYR and MD. The water is a bit cooler than I can stand, even in the heat of July/August. My words to Pip were meant to be tongue and cheek. EI is a special place on the coast of NC, and one that should be checked out.
Good point...forget I said anything. EI is the WORST! Especially if you hate lacks of crowds, fresh seafood, affordable oceanfront houses, plenty of beach to walk on, just enough activities to keep you busy if you need to, real supermarkets, and locals who seem genuinely happy to welcome you to their hometown. stay away!

Though, at times, I wonder if people from out of NC refer to "any land in NC that touches salt water" as the Outer Banks. We won't touch the proper banks because it's just too damned far from Raleigh. Why drive 4+ hours when we can drive 2 1/2?

We have less than 5 weeks until our next trip!
cocosmom

Post by cocosmom »

I agree the outer banks is beautiful and if you like a long drive go for it. I will not waste a day traveling anymore unless it is to STJ. Being from MD, OC has lots to offer with a shorter ride. I assume the timeshare is in OC, otherwise my choice has always been Bethany Beach..smaller more of a family beach. Now, your posts lead me to believe you like to party. lots of great OC places to party. Seacrets is an awesome place to hang all day. Fishtails is my favorite...so many more. If you choose OC I will give you more ideas.
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

cocosmom wrote:I agree the outer banks is beautiful and if you like a long drive go for it. I will not waste a day traveling anymore unless it is to STJ. Being from MD, OC has lots to offer with a shorter ride. I assume the timeshare is in OC, otherwise my choice has always been Bethany Beach..smaller more of a family beach. Now, your posts lead me to believe you like to party. lots of great OC places to party. Seacrets is an awesome place to hang all day. Fishtails is my favorite...so many more. If you choose OC I will give you more ideas.
Excellent point on travel times. We chuckle when we see people from other "beach states" in NC. Why drive all the way here when you have perfectly acceptable beaches closer to home? and this isn't a "Stay out of my state" thing. more of a "Why bother driving 10 hours when you can drive 2?"
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

pipanale wrote:
Excellent point on travel times. We chuckle when we see people from other "beach states" in NC. Why drive all the way here when you have perfectly acceptable beaches closer to home? and this isn't a "Stay out of my state" thing. more of a "Why bother driving 10 hours when you can drive 2?"
for those of us in the northern Yankee states it's about water temp low 60 or mid 70's I'll drive 12 hours for warmer temps :roll:
pipanale

Post by pipanale »

I guess so...the water is nice down here compared to NJ. A lot warmer earlier and later. Still a hell of a drive. I just loathe long car trips...I lack the patience for them
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Thanks for the input,yous guys!
My sweetheart has booked us a 2 bedroom joint on Barrier Island-(Duck?) during the week of my birthday in the middle of September.
Hope to run into some of you folks there,as we're not making STJ 'til next year...
Smiles-
Jimmy
shoemak38

Post by shoemak38 »

mahojim wrote:Thanks for the input,yous guys!
My sweetheart has booked us a 2 bedroom joint on Barrier Island-(Duck?) during the week of my birthday in the middle of September.
Hope to run into some of you folks there,as we're not making STJ 'til next year...
Smiles-
Jimmy
Barrier island duck is one of three timeshares by same group, we rented unit at Barrier island station (behind the Wallymart). Other site near you Barrier station Ocean Pine. I believe you can visit all site during your week.
http://www.bistation.com/resort-op.html
You will have fun
Connie

Post by Connie »

Oh Maho...Oh Jimmy...what a traitor you are!!!

With all the excellent places on the NJ coast to go to???

Tell you what...we have a great condo in Angelsea, NJ (N. Wildwood). If you trade in NC, we'll give you the condo for a week and we'll be down on the weekend.

Are you kidding me?
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Connie wrote:Oh Maho...Oh Jimmy...what a traitor you are!!!

With all the excellent places on the NJ coast to go to???

Tell you what...we have a great condo in Angelsea, NJ (N. Wildwood). If you trade in NC, we'll give you the condo for a week and we'll be down on the weekend.

Are you kidding me?
Whoa... :oops:
You have my #...gotta' talk to The Squeeze-
Jimmy