Thoughts on Purchasing a Time Share

Travel discussion for St. John
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Thoughts on Purchasing a Time Share

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Hey, y'all!

We are [semi] considering purchasing a time share for our annual STJ visits.

The way we figure it, we could have already purchased a time share for the cost of the past 3 trips.

Pros? Cons? Overall thoughts?

Thanks, y'all!
2muchsnow

Post by 2muchsnow »

I'm assuming that you are talking about the Westin on STJ? Couple of things to consider, besides the unit cost originally, there are taxes and maintenance fees every year. My parents are Starwood (Westin) owners on Maui. Theoretically they could bank their weeks and trade to the Westin on STJ, (it will never happen they like maui too much). I'm not sure what it is on a yearly basis (eventually I will), but that should factor into your decision.

They have quite a bit of flexibility with their units/plan they purchased. They can pick the weeks they want, (although it's 10-12 months out) they are not locked into a certain unit a certain week every year. Drawback is that some years they have spectacular views, some years not so much. They have a couple of 2 bedroom lockoff units, sometimes they go and invite us kids and we use the time all at once, Some years they go just the 2 of them, break it up and stay for 4 weeks. (Semi-retired) They travel with some friends that are locked into the same week and the same unit at the Marriott. Really depends on how you want to travel. It works for them. If you find yourself going to the same spot every year, it certainly makes some sense. The starwood group as a whole are really nice. Have never stayed at the one on STJ. Walked through once.

Another thing to consider is checking some of the Timeshare sales sites. My father was able to pick up another unit where he stays from a broker for half of what Westin/Starwood wanted. (They did have to approve the sale, first right of refusal).
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

I have seen Westin timeshares on Ebay for $1 and not sell. Definitely was tempting. But, you have to realize that the maintenance fees can be significant (IMO, but I'm frugal) and you pay for annual taxes as well. When I looked into it, the annual fees totaled what we usually pay for a rental, and you have more flexibility with a rental (time of year, location, skipping a year, etc).
Tickerless :(
kma27

Post by kma27 »

Knowing what I know now, I would not purchase a time share. We purchased ours on STT back in 1999 for a moderate amount of money; TODAY you can't give them away. First, they tell you what your maintenance fees will be then they are never what they say they are (ours is double); sometimes they hit you with an assessment when they need money and you have to pay real estate taxes on your unit also. Not only do you put a chunk of money down to purchase it but have to pay yearly maintenance fees so you feel like you're renting your own unit. If you find a place you like to visit, I would find owners who already have units and want to rent them out. Now, this is just my opinion but you asked. I don't really regret the purchase because of the wonderful memories it has given us of STT but I'm stuck with it now. Give this some serious thought first. Just my opinion.
Pia

Post by Pia »

Call or PM us - hubby is the used "timeshare" king on STJand will be very open to all the fees, pros and cons etc :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
Pia

Post by Pia »

Forgot to add there are over 200 weeks available on the used market at the Westin as well as timeshare weeks at Grande Bay.

Pia
FinsUp

Post by FinsUp »

We currently own a timeshare week on STJ and absolutely LOVE it!! We feel like we won the lottery when we made our purchase!! The units are Sunset Ridge Villas and are managed through Cimmaron. Our maintenance fee is much less than we would spend for a week's vacation. There are only 6 units in the complex and the location is perfect!! The units are modest but newly updated and suit our needs just fine. As a family of 5, there would be no way we could afford a yearly visit and this will be our 5th year and counting!! We did not purchase our timeshare to trade it, we purchased it to use year after year and it has been perfect!!
Tracy in WI

Post by Tracy in WI »

We also own at Sunset Ridge and bought sight unseen via ebay - it worked, but not how I would recommend it!

Our week is great - end of June so the kids are out of school which was the whole point. The units are spacious and very affordable - less than we would pay for a weeek for our whole family.

Ours is for sale since we now also own at Grande Bay (thanks to our wonderful and highly recommended Realtor - Mr. Pia (Les)!
Tracy, Seaside Properties at Grande Bay
Pia

Post by Pia »

Thanks Tracy :)
Teresa_Rae

Post by Teresa_Rae »

One concern I would have would be regarding the flights tied to a specific week of the year and day of the week.

For example, from where we live a Saturday to Saturday flight can be twice as expensive as say a Tuesday to Tuesday. I assume timeshares are Saturday to Saturday?

So that would mean paying a lot of extra money for flights or paying for a few extra days to stay somewhere else, which could be complicated as many places have a 5-night minimum.
Let us live so that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.
- Mark Twain
BillVT

Post by BillVT »

I am also an owner at Sunset Ridge Villas. For years we would rent a villa for a week than move in with friends that owned a week at SRV or vice versa. When a week came up for sale around the time our friends week we bought and have never regretted it.

Like a lot of recommendations made on this forum, it will depend on what you are looking for. Some of us like to spend a little extra for that luxury villa and live for a week in a place that we wouldn't normally be able to afford. Others are willing to sleep in a tent at Maho or Cinnamon for the chance to enjoy the island. I would take a look at what is offered next time you are on island. Look at the places and listen to what they have to offer. Better yet rent a unit.

Stop up at SRV and ask some one if they are an owner and if they have time to show you around. SRV is now administered by its' homeowners association. It does not quite qualify as a luxury accommodation. But it is good, clean and spacious with incredible views from all the units. At SRV it is Saturday to Saturday and since it is only 6 units most of high season is sold. Below is a link to our sales and rental website if you are curious and PM me if you have any specific questions. Good luck on your research.

http://www.sunsetridgevillas.com/
jqg1956

Post by jqg1956 »

Another SRV owner here and BillVT has given an excellent description and sound advice. With reference to SRV, we purchased five years ago sight unseen (had never even been to STJ) and have not regretted the decision once. It is unique and, while not for everyone, I think its more in keeping with the STJ vibe than a 5 star resort.

As any timeshare owner will tell you, timesharing has its good and bad points - we like it - we own 4. Just make sure if you purchase a timeshare that its a destination you definitely want to go to every year - don't buy one solely for trading power or you will be disappointed.
ColumbiaSCTraveler

Post by ColumbiaSCTraveler »

Thanks SO MUCH, y'all! You've definitely given us a lot to consider!!!
Pia, PM en route!
traveler22

Post by traveler22 »

We also own a week at Sunset Ridge and love it. Sunset Ridge is a group of only six units that share a pool so it's not a big resort like the Westin but has a full kitchen and can sleep up to 8 people with a pull out sofa. We purchased at a very fair price and now that it's paid for we only have to pay our maintenance fee and airfare which makes it reasonable for a family of 5 to visit St. John. It is also deeded so we can leave it to our kids and they will be able to go for that price after we're gone but you are locked into the same week every year. We love it but it's not for everyone!
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

It is surprising to me that you have heard little from the Westin owners or Grande Bay timeshares or even the many STT properties which would be sharing the same type of concerns.