Backpack coolers

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
pipanale

Backpack coolers

Post by pipanale »

Anyone got any suggestions?

I'd like to get a Polar Bear...we have their ginormous cooler, but only if I can find another of those sweet 50% off coupons!

Any other suggestions of brands in the $30-$40 range?

Thanks!
loria

Post by loria »

not what you asked for, but th polar bear is hands down th best backpack cooler i have ever had-- it is rugged and really can take a beating and keep things frozen. I have had a couple of other ones before, none performed as well as this one....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Ours is Igloo MaxCold from Target and it's worked great for three trips and lots of picnics. While carrying our meats down, we add an extra layer of insulation between the lining and the outside. We use this brown paper stuff that arrives to the clinic I work at, with packages that need to be kept cold. Layers of paper towel or newspaper would work as well. That extra step may not be necessary but we have a long travel day.
JJShaw

Post by JJShaw »

We have this brand...and it has worked very well for us..I usually wrap stuff in paper towels..and then place them in a gallon bag...one yr I even bubble wrapped them..which we really didnt even need to do...I bring it every trip and will definetly bring in June...I also took a bottle of frozen water and placed it inside with the meats..of course I had it in a bag so it wouldnt sweat all over...TSA had no problem with it as long as it was frozen, ((helped keep things cool for us) and when it thawed.....we had a water bottle to use on Island...:)

http://www.keepyourcooler.com/backpack-coolers.html
[/url]
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Well, we are a Polar Bear family. We have one in every size. I had high hopes for the backpack model but I can't say I love it. We took two on our last trip, a 24 can and the backpack.

A couple of problems -

It had a leak from day 1, the interior liner has a hole in it somewhere, causing the insulation and exterior to become soaked if we use ice. Also, the zipper pull broke right away but I fixed that by running a split ring through the pull base. I will be contacting the company about this. I have heard their have excellent customer service.

It doesn't stand upright when full. Except a lot of tipping.

It requires a lot of digging to retrive items/drinks. See below.

One the plus side, it kept everything freezing cold. When we were in PR, we filled it with warm beer, ice and water and within 30-45 minutes, there was ice forming on the outside of the cans and the water was so cold, it was painful to fish beers out of the bottom. We had three types in it and it was so bad(but good) that we drank whatever we could grab to avoid freezing our hands/arms.