What card gives you the best miles

Travel discussion for St. John
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

The venture card system sounds interesting....we used to use all Amex cards until they dropped cooperation with US Air maybe 8 years ago. Since then switched to the US Air MC, and charge everything on it as others have mentioned. For all US Air spending they double the miles, plus i get double miles for every flight, and I travel USAir for all my business travel so it adds up fast. One other thing to recommend, I stay in all Hilton chain hotels, because they double dip the miles......ie, they deposit miles in my US Air account and my Hilton account, this is awesome. I also connect Nat'l rental car to my US Air account.....so all these connections create like compounding growth of miles, it adds up fast!

Since I travel so much an airline card makes since for me, but if I didn't that venture card sounds great too.
Gigi

Post by Gigi »

With the Capital One, you do not have to book travel through their site. You can request a credit to your account or a check mailed to you at any time. If you have 25,000 points, you can request a check for $250 or a credit to your statement for that amount. Often times, they will contact me if I have booked air and ask if I would like a travel credit.
ToonMann

Post by ToonMann »

Thanks, Pia, and the rest of you, for explaining and recommending the Capital One Venture card; it sounds ideal. We were approved for one last night and will start using it when it arrives next week.

We've been happily generating American FF mileage through Citibank cards -- one for her, one for him -- for 30 years. And by virtue of our paid travel on American, we're lifetime Aadvantage Gold members and get check-in, boarding and baggage perks as a result. But when American doubles the number of FF miles needed for Caribbean destinations (70,000 miiles roundtrip instead of 35,000 miles for travel next January), it's time to question that loyalty.

TM
jmq

Post by jmq »

Extra bonus with Cap One cards: no foreign transaction fees, which is becoming pretty rare these days. If going on a big international trip, that extra 3% can add up to real money pretty quick.
Note that a few years back we got hit with those FT fees using a CC in the BVI even though they use US dollars. Made no sense. CC bank wouldn't back off, so I cancelled that card and took my business to Cap One.
When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
Bigcheeze

Post by Bigcheeze »

Good Bye Flex Card...I only had 210K on it anyways...hello Cap 1.
Diana2

Post by Diana2 »

We were with American Airlines Citibank Mastercard for decades but when the doubled the miles necessary to fly to STT, cut flights and made if very difficult to use the miles we switched to Capital One Venture card. We've been very happy with this card plus you can customize the picture on the card too. I have a picture of Salomon Beach on mine. People always want to know where this picture was taken.
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Lots of good info here. Thank you all!