Sleeping in airport question

Travel discussion for St. John
kristen1206

Sleeping in airport question

Post by kristen1206 »

As some of you read, we are flying into San Juan at midnight the night beofre our 8:30 am flight to St. Thomas. I was going to book a room at the Best Western in SJU but someone suggested possibly sleeping in the terminal since by the time we get our luggage and into our room then get back up to get ready and head back to the terminal we will really only have about 4 hours of sleep. And I can think of a lot better things to do with $200 on STJ than crash in a dingy hotel room at San Juan airport.

So...my question is...after we pick up our bags, what is the best place to set up camp for a few hours of shut eye? I am assuing we can't check our bags that early and hang out at our morning gate. So just anywhere outside of security then? Are there better places than others? I have not yet had the pleaseure/displeasure of experiencing thsi airport but I assume it is relatively large compared to most Caribbean airports. This plan isn't set in stone yet so any input would be helpful.

Tahnks!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

just sent you a PM about our middle-of-the-night experience there, I don't know that it is open 24 hours.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

I don't think it's a good idea. As you noted, you are outside of security. Even if you were permitted to stay there, who else will be there with you? I know that sounds like a lot of money, but what is your family's safety worth to you?

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

There is no way I would every sleep in that airport.
First, I believe it closes and secondly, it is nasty, in my opinion.
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

That is what i am trying to find out. Only considering it because someone suggested it and because it's for a short period of time. If it's not feasible, then so be it. Thanks for your input.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

I just did a search on a San Juan forum and read that there is no seating outside of security so you would have to sleep on the floor.
grandpainin

Post by grandpainin »

I had that idea a few years back. We rented a room close to the Air Port. It was scary as hell. Then they kept changing the flight time. So By the time we got there the 8:30 A.M.flight wss now 1:00 P.M.
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

Do you think we could book the best western when we arrived in case of delays or any unforseen event which could possible render an advance booking useless? Talking about mid June.
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

The only experience we have that is relevant dates back 30 years when we were flying stand-by through San Juan to St Marteen. We were not allowed to sleep in the airport. I don't recall if it was closing or if they just didn't allow us to be there. We took a taxi to a tiny motel in San Juan for the night. The green turtle I believe. That whole trip was quite an experience.

You might consider posting this on a forum like TA in the Puerto Rico forum to see if you get any up to date information from travelers.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Muhaha

Post by Muhaha »

kristen1206 wrote:Do you think we could book the best western when we arrived in case of delays or any unforseen event which could possible render an advance booking useless? Talking about mid June.
I recommend that you book the Best Western. I wouldn't want to be without anywhere to go with a family after arriving late night in San Juan.
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

True. Then I am back to my original plan of booking it and sneaking my 6 year old in because do not want to do 2 rooms.
kristen1206

Post by kristen1206 »

Or just take a cab to isla verde where the hotels accomodate 5 but that seems like a lot of hassle for such a super short stay. ugh.
loria

Post by loria »

well, if you can limit to carry on then you don't have the baggage wait hassle...
there is a hampton inn that is about a mile (or less?) from the airport-- it gets decent reviews on TA and is probably accusstomed to persons in your predicament. cabe ride couldn't take more that 7 minutes. leave there by 6:30 and check in by 7 and you are good to go.
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
surfnh

Post by surfnh »

I don't know, we travel through SJU all the time on US Air, its not that bad inside the terminal, it's an airport, to me its a lot nicer than STT.

Hey, no airport is nice to sleep in, are we sure it closes down at night? I've seen on web sites that the control tower is manned 24/7. Also, Jet Blue has some strange flights to PR, there are flights arriving there at 2:48am and 4:53am, I bet the terminal is open all night. Easiest option, collect your baggage if you checked it, then go back and check in early and get in the terminal again.

One issue to consider, if you're flying on a little puddle jumper to STT, the desk might not be open early in the morning for re-check in. If you're not checking luggage, then its easy, just stay in the secure part of the terminal, sleep on a bench, and tell the kids to pretend they're at Maho! :)

A better option...arrive in SJU mid afternoon, rent a car and head right to El Moro in old San Juan, the kids would love it. Then stay at one of the hotels that can handle 5/room near the airport, there are a ton in Carolina just 10 min east of SJU. Then return your rental car early morning and get your flight.

But, I guess if I was in your situation, I'd just stay in the terminal.
Iluvstjohn

Post by Iluvstjohn »

We slept in the San Juan airport once! Now, granted...it was 12 years ago this month....and I was 12 years younger! ha ha...but it wasn't so bad....we got in like 1am or something....and we just set up shop in some corner (my husband and I)....and we nodded off here and there (we had slept some on the plane as welll). We had a Cape Air flight out at lik3: 7:30 am or something crazy. Nothing was open in the San Juan airport....so bring snacks, etc....also...Nobody was around....again...this was 12 years ago...but we did it and it was fine!