Private Chef - Dinner-for-two

Travel discussion for St. John
dbeahan

Post by dbeahan »

My wife and I are returning to STJ in April and would like to hire a private chef to prepare a dinner for two at our villa. On past trips, we have used Seamus Mulcare and were very pleased with his services. However, it appears that he is involved with a wedding cake business and no longer does private dinners. Looking for other recommendations.
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Oh goodness...someone had mentioned a chef not too long ago and I had thought I would use him sometime and now I can't find his name for anything..Hopefully someone will chime in soon...Enjoy!!
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Mathayom! He is awesome!!!!

www.stjohncatering.com
dbeahan

Post by dbeahan »

Mathayom may be awesome, but it appears he has a $425 minimum for onsite chef services - way too much for a dinner for two.
Randy in MD

Post by Randy in MD »

Don't know what Chef Ted's minimum is, but he is also "awesome"...

http://www.tedssupperclub.com/welcome.html
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Another option to consider is Ted's Supper Club. I believe he charges around $100-125 per person (not including wine but you can provide your own). I have not used his private dining service but ate at his old restaurant, Tage, many times when it was still open and the food was just outstanding. I know some forumites have hired him and enjoyed the meal he cooked for them very much. Here is a link to his website:

http://www.tedssupperclub.com/aboutted.html
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
stjchica

Post by stjchica »

Ted is who I was thinking of~
~Pam~
"Barefoot in the snow white sand
A bag of sea shells in her hand
She finally found a paradise it seems..."
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Take me with you and I'll do it for free!!
SusanNJ

Post by SusanNJ »

I would also recommend Ted! We used him a few years back for a great dinner at the villa. Ted cooked for my husband and I and our 2 other friends. He worked with us as far as pricing, etc. I will definitely use him again this year when we go back. It was our best meal we had during our stay!
mahojim

Post by mahojim »

Have never done business with Ted,but he's pretty popular on the forum,here. Mat is not only an incredible chef,but also a wonderful guy with a beautiful family. I've used KatiLady a few times, and they've been aesome. check them out at
www.katilady.com
Good luck, and always-
Smiles-
MJ
dbeahan

Post by dbeahan »

Thanks for the suggestions - looks like Ted's it is!
stampede chuck

Post by stampede chuck »

Ted is great! We had him prepare dinner for our 20th anniversary last March and it was amazing. We went with the "full meal deal" and had lots left over for lunch the next day. Ted does everything, prepares the food, sets the table, cooks, waits on the table, visits, talks, cleans up, washes the dishes ... It was one of the best meals we have ever had. Ted is very charming and personable and absolutely loves what he does; we highly recommend him. We'll be sure to give him a call next time we're on St John.

By the way, if you haven't already, get in touch with him as soon as you can because he gets really booked up. He told us he could easily be busy every day of the week. Bon appetit!!
Collin
"Packin' up the bathing suits, gettin' out the cowboy boots. That's a sign we must be going home"