Moving blog

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
waterguy

Moving blog

Post by waterguy »

Does anyone have Margo's moving blog address I'm stuck at home with shingles and need some other websites to cruise
Tom
lprof

Post by lprof »

Really hope you'll feel better soon! I have heard that medications help if started soon after symptoms appear. Margo is still blogging here:
http://floridadventure2012.wordpress.com/#!/cover
... no longer a stranger to paradise
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Thanks
Tom
P-600

Post by P-600 »

I'm sorry you have the shingles! My dad just got over them and he was so miserable. I hope you feel better soon!
Here is a blog from a guy we met on our trip to STJ last January. He is a very wealthy man from South Africa and he is traveling the world on his sailboat. It is a pretty cool blog with lots of great pictures from all over the world.

http://yachtimvubu.com/index.php?option ... &Itemid=99

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
lprof

Post by lprof »

P-600... thank you for sharing the Imvubu blog link... good one!
STX lady

shingles

Post by STX lady »

Very sorry to hear "waterguy"....feel better soon.

I good time to remind everyone, there is a shot to prevent shingles even if you've had it before...it works!
STX lady

Post by STX lady »

OOPS...wrong ticker...
AH

Post by AH »

Wishing you a speedy recovery,Waterguy. My mother-in-law had shingles last year and I know she was quite miserable for way too long.
AH
linne

Post by linne »

Hi Tom!

I had to see in the dictionary what shingles meant, so now I learned a new word.

Hope you will soon be better. Hubby had shingles for many years ago, he recovered soon and haven't had it since. But I know that it can be very painful.

Linne
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

I hope you are better now Tom. I inquired about the shingles vaccination today and it is $350 and insurance may not cover it. :cry:
lprof

Post by lprof »

sea-nile wrote:I hope you are better now Tom. I inquired about the shingles vaccination today and it is $350 and insurance may not cover it. :cry:
I also hope you are recovering and feeling better.

My husband got the vaccination last year; I intend to in a few months. We are in our mid and late 60s. I am not sure if insurance paid for it or if Medicare would have. The following is for information... I am not suggesting that anyone be vaccinated or not; your doctor is the best council on this.

From www.webmd.com
FDA: Shingles Vaccine OK at Age 50 and Up
Merck's Zostavax Vaccine Approved for 50-Somethings

March 24, 2011 - People age 50 and older can now get Merck's Zostavax shingles vaccine, the FDA today ruled.

The vaccine already was approved for people age 60 and older. The approval is based on a Merck clinical trial that showed the vaccine to be about 70% effective in preventing shingles in the younger age group.

The study also found that even when vaccinated 50-somethings did get shingles, they suffered far less pain and far shorter bouts of the painful, sometimes disabling disease.

"The likelihood of shingles increases with age. The availability of Zostavax to a younger age group provides an additional opportunity to prevent this often painful and debilitating disease," Karen Midthun, MD, director of FDA's Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research, says in a news release.

Shingles -- known to doctors as herpes zoster-- is caused by the same herpes virus that causes chickenpox: varicella zoster. But when chickenpox gets better, the virus doesn't go away. It hides in nerve roots. When reactivated in later years, the virus erupts into extremely painful shingles-like lesions.

Zostavax is basically the same as the chickenpox vaccine, given at a far higher dose. Clinical trials show the vaccine to be both safe and effective.

Why get vaccinated at age 50? That's when shingles risk shoots up. Before age 50, about two people in a thousand get shingles. After age 50, about six people in a thousand get shingles. A person's lifetime risk of shingles is about 30%.

Even people who already have had shingles can get it again. Their risk of a second case is about the same as the risk of getting a first case.

The biggest drawback to Zostavax is its cost. The catalog price is about $161.50, about 10 to 20 times the cost of flu vaccine.
P-600

Post by P-600 »

The cost of the vaccination is a big problem for many people. My father had the prescription in his wallet for 11 months. After he got the shingles he really wished that he had just been vaccinated.
It's crazy the insurance companies aren't pushing the vaccine more and reducing the price because my Dad was have severe stomach pain and after one ER visit that consisted of a CAT scan and then another Dr. Appt which also ended up with a second CAT scan. Both with NO results. The insurance company would have been better off just paying for the damn vaccine :roll:
Not until after 3+ weeks of severe pain did the rash come out and another ER visit they diagnosed him.
We protect our kids from the chicken pox with a vaccine. I don't get it!

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
Pia

Post by Pia »

I'm soooo sorry you are poorly :( - I'll get to posting an update today :)
Realtor - St John Properties
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Yea Pia you have been slacking :lol:
Tom