Trip Report

Travel discussion for St. John
jsn0802

Trip Report

Post by jsn0802 »

We have been on the island since Wednesday 12/14 - so I thought it was about time to give a report. First of all - what an amazing place!
Day 1 - My wife & I arrive at the ferry dock at 4:30, meet our villa host, pick up the rental vehicle and head out. I gotta say I love driving on the left side of the road and the switchbacks are awesome. After unloading, we head back to town to the grocery store and dinner at the Beach Bar.
Day 2 - We spend the whole day checking out all the North Shore beaches and the Coral Bay side of the island. We pick up our 2 boys & their girlfriends at the ferry dock at 6:30 (exams) and head out to the villa for dinner. Yes, I took the advice from the forum and bought a polar bear cooler and carried on enough meat for the whole week - smart idea.
Day 3 - Spend the day at Francis & Cinnamon Bays snorkeling and sunning. Did I mention my wife is the adventurous type - we stop and walk all the trails along the way.
Day 4 - Arrive at Salt Pond around 10:30 never intending to stay the whole day - we did. What a great place! We saw lots of stingrays, trurtles, colorful fish, a lobster, and even a couple of mana rays. The boys saw a nurse shark out at the rocks. Hiked over to the
blue cobble stone beach for a little more snorkeling. Finished the day with dinner at Spy
Glass.
Day 5 - Drop the wife and kids off at the top of the Reef Bay trail with a plan to pick them
up at the end of 104 near Fish Bay at 3:00. I head over to Maho Bay and spend a couple of hours snorkeling and hanging out. Saw lots of stingrays, turtles, & starfish
Where is the best place to snorkel on Maho? Head out to pick up the group around 2:00 - miss the turn to Fish Bay and go up the hill - great switchback up there. After a couple
of locals get me turned around - finally find the end of 104, ride all around looking for my
group - a nice couple from Michigan tells me they saw a group of 5 come by about 1 1/2
hours ago - so I figure they were ahead of schedule and must have hitched a ride back to town. Well as I am headed back to town, there they are walking up 104 - I missed them
going in because my wife had found another trail to check out. Back to the villa for dinner and a good nights sleep.
Day 6 - Today we plan to snorkel Caneel, Hawksnest, and Trunk Bays - I am sure there will be a trail involved!
Last edited by jsn0802 on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Great report I like the rocks on the right side of Maho when looking at the water out around the point
Last edited by waterguy on Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
burgec

Wow

Post by burgec »

Talk about someone who gets it, even raves over driving on the left and switchbacks.

We also like the rocks on the right but need to hit the left side of Maho for completeness.

Thanks for the report.
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

Hey! We chatted to your wife at Reef Bay. She was with four kids, and we chatted about the walk across the length of Reef Bay to the Parret Bay Trail. Glad they found their way. I hope you continue to enjoy your adventure.
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

sounds like a great beginning!! :D
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting