Need Help Please

Travel discussion for St. John
Mark

Need Help Please

Post by Mark »

We are a party of 3 arriving Thanksgiving afternoon and plan to be on the 3 P.M. Ferry from Red Hook. We are staying in Coral Bay. The car rental companies are closed on Thanksgiving day so we are unable to pick up our vehicle until Friday. We need to take a taxi to our Villa and our Villa Rental Company is fearfull that we will not find a taxi willing to go to Coral Bay and is insisting that we reserve a taxi prior to arriving or they will not schedule our greeter to meet us. Any help securing a ride to Coral Bay will be appreciated. Thanks!
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

I don't rent a villa and I've never arrived on a holiday, but the reaction from the Villa Rental Company of being "fearful that you won't find a taxi to take you to Coral Bay" seems most unaccommodating. How about if they make some calls on your behalf to try to find someone who will take you to Coral Bay? They're in a better position to think of a solution to your predicament than you are from home.

Perhaps there's a way to find out if the bus will be running on T-giving. I know it's not ultra-dependable, but if it's running, you could at least make it to "downtown" Coral Bay.

This did make me think that if I were in this situation, I know in no uncertain terms that Mike and/or Eileen from Sailview would be popping across the hill to pick us up. That's just one of the reasons that we keep going back to Sailview.

Good luck! I know something will work out.
Lovermont

Post by Lovermont »

I thought of another idea. Could the Villa Rental Agency pick up your car Wednesday evening on your behalf, with the promise that you'll go back and complete all the paperwork on Friday morning?
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

Give your car rental company a call to see what they are willing to do for you. Many times when you arrive during hours that they are closed they will park the
car somewhere near the ferry dock (or in their lot if it's close) and put the key under the mat. If they won't do that then maybe they could work with the villa people to get the car to your villa or at least to their office and leave the key there so that your greeter can bring you the key. They're usually very good about allowing you to come in later to fill out paperwork. It just seems odd that they haven't already offered something like that.
Mark

Post by Mark »

The Villa Rental Co. has been assisting us on this issue and I did not list all of the details in order to keep my post short and to the point. They made calls to their contacts to find us a reliable taxi. They found one and gave us his number and I called him but he is off Thursday. He in turn made calls and gave us another taxi drivers number but we have been unable to reach him at the number I was given. I called the first taxi driver back on Saturday and told him I was unable to reach his contact. He told me he was working with him on Saturday and would have him call us on Sunday. We did not recieve a call from anyone yesterday which prompted this post. An hour ago taxi driver #1 called me and said that taxi driver #2 cell phone is broken and would be replaced today and he will call me tonight at 5 P.M. So any additional taxi's telephone numbers would still be appriciated as a back up if this option falls thru. We understand the concerns of the Agency and in no way is this post intended to reflect any negetivity towards our interactions with them.
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

Mark

Post by Mark »

If things fall thru tonight I will call them. Thanks!
Mark

Post by Mark »

Well last nights telephone call to taxi driver #2 was no different than all of our previous attempts. Result was his phone was turned off again. Go figure a Taxi Service that cannot be contacted, what a sound business plan. So this morning I contacted the company provided by Xislandgirl and was able to reserve a Taxi for Thursday. Wife is happy now my headache is gone. Thanks "D".
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

So glad it worked out!
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

Glad it worked out!!! Don't need that last minute stress at all. You'll be feelin' verrrry happy, verrrry soon!
Mark

Post by Mark »

Ok, so we arrive in Cruz Bay and are met by our greeter and our Taxi. We drive to Coral Bay and ascend the hill to our Villa (One Particular Harbor) about half way up we start to smell the transmission on the Taxi. We stop at the bottom of the Villa's driveway and the greeter informs everyone that the Taxi cannot possibly turn around in the driveway so we load everything in her car pay the Taxi driver, verify our 9 A.M. pick the next morning to go get our vehicle in Cruz Bay and the Taxi leaves. We settle into the Villa and an hour later the Taxi driver calls and tells me his Taxi broke down and he will not be able to pick us up as scheduled. The next morning I embark on my adventure to get our vehicle. I walk down the HILL to catch the Bus to Cruz Bay, I get to the bottom of the HILL and walk up to the dumpsters and see the Bus stopped there. I find the driver on top of one dumpster removing things (make your own mental picture). Did I mention the smell? I inquire about a ride and is told he would be back in about a half hour to an hour and to just wait anywhere on the road and he would stop on his way back from Salt Pond. He arrives back about an hour later picks me up and I make it to Cruz Bay and all is well. Bus ride $1.00 --- Adventure = Priceless. But seriously the trip was fantastic we all had a wonderfull time and this Adventure is what makes funny memories. This was our 8th trip and we LOVE the rock.
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

Oh, man. What fun.

I keep telling people that VItran is the best deal on the island but they just look at me funny.

Glad it worked out.
Need2GetAway

Post by Need2GetAway »

LOL. Welcome to St. John. :)
Muhaha

Post by Muhaha »

GraysonDave wrote:Oh, man. What fun.

I keep telling people that VItran is the best deal on the island but they just look at me funny.

Glad it worked out.
Seriously - that bus, on those roads, seems like a headline waiting to happen.
GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

Muhaha wrote:
GraysonDave wrote:Oh, man. What fun.

Glad it worked out.
Seriously - that bus, on those roads, seems like a headline waiting to happen.
Ha, yeah I told my wife it was better than Six Flags at a fraction of the cost.