What are you reading?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
AH

Post by AH »

Finished reading "Pirate Latitudes" by Michael Crichton at 4:30 this morning! It is about the adventures of pirates in the Caribbean in the 1665. Lots of action. I really enjoyed it.
May I just add, we lost a great author when we lost Michael Crichton.
AH
mindehankins

Post by mindehankins »

I finally had a weekend off, so we're camping. I read "Left Neglected," by Lisa Genova (author of "Still Alice"). It was a wonderful, hopeful, heart warming story that was also interesting because of the medical condition of the main character. A +
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

Just finished "A Stolen Life" and it's okay...maybe my mood impacted my perspective (this has been the vacation from hell and this book didn't help). The most interesting part to me was the horse therapy and it's just barely touched on.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
AH

Post by AH »

Well I finally finished reading "The Help". I made the mistake of seeing the movie first and that kind of ruined the book for me. I should know better by now. But the book was good.
AH
Connie

Post by Connie »

I'm going to have to read the help.

I did like the movie. Just that one scene was worth the 11.00 PP ticket price. I needed a good laugh.
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
AH

Post by AH »

Connie wrote:I'm going to have to read the help.

I did like the movie. Just that one scene was worth the 11.00 PP ticket price. I needed a good laugh.
Okay,Connie,I have to ask. What scene was that?

AH
Connie

Post by Connie »

I don't want to give it away if you haven't seen the movie, but it has something to do with a pie :o)
"Paradise...it's a state of mine"
Pia

Post by Pia »

Water For Elephants.............loved, loved, loved it :)

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
AH

Post by AH »

Pia wrote:Water For Elephants.............loved, loved, loved it :)

Pia
Me too,me too!
AH
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

Pia wrote:Water For Elephants.............loved, loved, loved it :)

Pia
Me too! I have read it four times. I am afraid to watch the movie because it cannot possibly live up to the way I imagined everything.

I finally, FINALLY finished the five Song of Ice and Fire books a couple of weeks ago. They took forever to read!

Latest reads: The Gin Closet. Really sad. And while on Bermuda I read the latest Chet and Bernie mystery The Dog who Knew Too Much and a PJ James mystery called Unnatural Causes. They made for fun beach reading.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
AH

Post by AH »

Read Stephen King's "Full Dark, No Stars". The book has three short stories and all of them kept my interest enough that I could not stop reading until I finished it. I am not usually a fan of short stories but in this case it works well. I understand that a new version of the book was released this spring that has a fourth story. Not sure why King would do that.
AH
greyhoundmom

Post by greyhoundmom »

Just finished Becoming Odyssa by Jennifer Davis. S/O is reading every Appalachian Trail hiking book he can get his hands on because he wants to thru hike in a few years. I picked it up thinking it would not hold my interest, but I was wrong. I couldn't put it down, read it every night for a week.
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

hi everyone-

been reading "the spice necklace". same author as "embarrassment of mangoes". really loving it! thanks to whoever recommended it :).
AH

Post by AH »

LysaC wrote:hi everyone-

been reading "the spice necklace". same author as "embarrassment of mangoes". really loving it! thanks to whoever recommended it :).

I am not familiar with this title. I've read "An Embarrassment of Mangoes" so I will have to look for "The Spice Necklace". What is the premise of the book?

AH
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

AH wrote:[I am not familiar with this title. I've read "An Embarrassment of Mangoes" so I will have to look for "The Spice Necklace". What is the premise of the book?

AH
I think I was the one who originally mentioned this book. It is similar to Embarrassment of Mangoes--they sail their boat through the Caribbean. Much of this book is set in Trinidad IIRC. They obviously have a lot more sailing experience so there aren't stories of crazy mishaps like in the original. It's more about reconnecting with old friends. I also tried a couple of the recipes in the book with mixed results. Overall I liked Mangoes better but Spice Necklace is still worth reading.

I finally got around to reading The Help yesterday. Not sure what I am reading next.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.