Trip Report- Thank you Irene, Part 1

Travel discussion for St. John
bdkane

Trip Report- Thank you Irene, Part 1

Post by bdkane »

Hi All, Attached is a trip “summary” from last month… we were fortunate enough to have our stay extended an additional 6 days due to Hurricane Irene pelting NY just before our departure(and it was just a good excuse not to go home).

As there was lots of Rum and Tequila to be had during this visit - I will try to piece the days together best I can-

WE started out with a 17 hour journey to get from NY JFK to STT (THIS I REMEMBER WELL- AUGH), no worries WE MADE IT!

We enjoyed Villa South Palm in Virgin Grand Estates with family and friends, overall a very nice villa no major complaints, very convenient to town, quite, nice view…

View from the covered deck

Our first day we took the hike to Salomon, this is my little guy, JD, who is now known as “Guppy” , I think this was taken @ Salomon...

We decided to try a “shortcut” back which turned out to be NOT such a shortcut, it did bring us to the National Park Center and Deli Grotto for a late lunch which was alright with me – love that jerk chicken salad!

The following day we head on over to Salt Pond looking for turtles as we have been successful spotting them here in the past, turns out the water is a little murky so not much to do snorkeling wise, we did however make some new friends on the beach-

This was the first time we had seen donkeys on the beach.

We then head off to hike Rams head with our faithful guide

We never did make it to Rams Head but we did make it to what we now know to be Blue Cobblestone beach, my kids absolutely loved it- why? I couldn’t tell you, Don’t get me wrong –it’s beautiful! And the sound the stones make while the water pulls back to sea is like nothing I’ve ever heard before- I thought it was AMAZING, I just didn’t expect my 11 and 5 year old to appreciate it- you know - with no sand and all – they asked to go back everyday - very cool!

The following day we took a drive out to Leinster – on the way we stopped for “the shot”

You never get tired of that!

At Leinster my little guppy did some deep water snorkeling

We spent most of the day there snorkeling, this was by far the best I had ever seen, turtles, rays, squid,Barracuda-LOTS of fish, awesome day! We made it to Morgans Mango for dinner that evening, LOBSTAH !

Next day onto explore something new… somewhere we had never gone… and most likely would never have found if not for this forum… THANKS!

TRUST ME - They aren't as sweet as they look!

GUPPY!

YEAH... we really liked this beach
Last edited by bdkane on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cool breeze

Post by cool breeze »

Great pictures, looking forward to the rest of your trip.
jmq

Post by jmq »

Nice! Looking forward to pt 2.

The lighting in this particular photo is really neat...looks almost fake, like a strobe or something was used. Very cool image.

When we come to place where the sea and the sky collide
Throw me over the edge and let my spirit glide
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

Thanks, it thought it looked a little like snow...

I used Google Picasa, I think I increased the fill light(I have no idea what that means), I usually just hit the ?"feeling lucky" button :shock:
cypressgirl

Post by cypressgirl »

Great photos. Darling kids!
Kentuckygirl

Post by Kentuckygirl »

Your kids are so cute! 6 extra days!?! Did I read that right? Lucky you :D
Image[/url]