Gastro Grub

Travel discussion for St. John
Betty

Gastro Grub

Post by Betty »

Had dinner tonight at the newest St John dining establishment "Gastro Grub" It is in the old La Plancha/Black Sands Bistro location, 2nd floor of the Marketplace. Our group had a wonderful meal! They have vegetarian/tofu Buffalo wings and even the carnivores liked them. Excellent spinach salad, flank steak, Mac and Cheese, Ahi Sliders, everyone was pleased with their selections. Prices are reasonable and I had a nice Pinot for $6.00 Allen who used to bartend at Waterfront Bistro, La Plancha and would do Gastro Grub nights at Tamarind Inn has opened this restaurant and I give it a big thumbs up!
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Didn't black sand just open?
Betty

Post by Betty »

The head chef/partner of LaPlancha passed away this summer. Jason and Jonathan decided to put all of their time into La Plancha and not re-open Black Sands Bistro. La Plancha will be open for lunch and Sunday brunch like they did at Black Sands Bistro.

I am so happy Allen decided to take over the lease, it is a great location, has a/c, easy parking and very reasonable prices for delicious food. The place was filled last night with local south shore residents and it was a fun yummy time!
Nancy_B

Post by Nancy_B »

Thanks for the review and I wish him the very best.

I look forward to trying it when I return in January - I'll add it to my list.

Thank you!
NancyB
RickG

Post by RickG »

Thanks Betty, sounds like a great addition. Still the seashell bar?

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
Betty

Post by Betty »

Yes, still the same bar, black sand and shells. Nice article in the Tradewinds this week. http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com/ It is nice to have a reasonably priced restaurant that is casual and not just burgers and fried food on the island.
P-600

Post by P-600 »

We went to Gastro Grub last night for dinner and it was so good. Thanks for recommending it Betty! We started without the little gangsta Mac and cheese for an app and it was awesome. My husband had the pork which he was raving about and I had the meatloaf wellington- delish! It was really busy and very lively. You all should definitely check it out.

Julie
Live from St.John
Facebook Group
sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

We will have to try it in 6 weeks! :D