Planning to Elope in St John....When should we do it??

Travel discussion for St. John
fmzip

Re: Eloping

Post by fmzip »

Boxer5 wrote:Check out String of Pearl. Perfect for a couple.

White lattice and plastic furniture...not honeymoon material.
stampede chuck

Post by stampede chuck »

No beach access, Arc du Soleil is in Virgin Grand Estates. Up the hill with a beautiful view of Great Cruz Bay.
fmzip wrote:That's reassuring!

Is there beach access from this villa?
stampede chuck wrote:Don't be scared off by no a/c at Arc du Soleil; it has plenty of ceiling and other fans to keep the air moving. We were there in March and had absolutely no problem without a/c. It really is an amazing villa with an amazing layout, a big pool, fantastic sunset views and lots of privacy. And the owners are great hosts too.
Collin
"Packin' up the bathing suits, gettin' out the cowboy boots. That's a sign we must be going home"
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Does anyone know if there is there beach access from Coyoba?
PA Girl

Re: Planning to Elope in St John....When should we do it??

Post by PA Girl »

fmzip wrote: Would be nice to be a little closer to town but desire privacy, peace and quiet and a sunset view.

Any suggestion for the ideal beach wedding for two and suggested luxury villas?

Can't wait to plan this trip! :)
Kallaloo is our favorite house on STJ. It is managed by Catered To (we have been very pleased with this agency) and is located right above Gibney Beach. The walk down is quick, returning will work your leg muscles but it is short.

The house is just charming, very classic Caribbean with stone construction, hip roof, high ceilings, lots of huge screened windows. There is a huge covered porch with ceiling fans and lots of good outdoor furniture (Llyod Flanders and huge teak dining set). The view is of Hawksnest, Caneel, BVIs. The grounds are very pretty with lots of towering palms and it feels like "paradise."

There is a house next door but because of how the houses are situated and the trees, the pool area is private. No AC. We were fine without it in the winter. We keep our house a constant 70 degrees at home in the summer and I would rent Kallaloo in April.

The house isn't "luxury" like the newer STJ houses that have granite counters, stainless steel apliances, built-in gas grills, etc. but it is a very nice house. We rented it twice and the only reason we stopped is that they don't allow kids. It is very well maintained. Quick access to town.
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

This is another one that always appealed to me - http://cateredto.com/le-chateau/
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »

you didn't say if you cared what part of the island you were on, but I would check out Reef Madness in Coral Bay, one of my favorite villas on island! I love the view and the pool is to die for!! Congrats!
Leslie, Kids Night In Babysitting
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Not sure if it's in your budget, but for such an occasion maybe you should consider one of the Gibney Beach cottages. If I could redo my honeymoon that would be tops on my list. Anyway, congrats and happy planning.
Tickerless :(
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

GotToGetAway wrote:Not sure if it's in your budget, but for such an occasion maybe you should consider one of the Gibney Beach cottages. If I could redo my honeymoon that would be tops on my list. Anyway, congrats and happy planning.
That cottage sure looks nice. How private is it if there is another cottage right behind it? Have you seen this cottage first hand?
Last edited by fmzip on Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

EagleRayLover wrote:you didn't say if you cared what part of the island you were on, but I would check out Reef Madness in Coral Bay, one of my favorite villas on island! I love the view and the pool is to die for!! Congrats!
We eyed Reef Madness last year. Not too fond of staying in Coral Bay as it seems to far out of the way.

Peter Bay area looks nice but doubt it's within reach. Chocolate hole and Virgin Grand Estates looks nice too.

We had a mountain view last trip but think this trip would be nice to get a closer view of that beautiful aqua blue water.

Really what we are after is being close enough to the north shore beaches and a drive into cruz bay for groceries and the occasional dinner out.
Last edited by fmzip on Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Nice link!!

How is it without AC? I am a little worried about humidity on the rainy days. Being it's our honeymoon and staying for 14 days, is it a wise move to get a villa without AC?

PA Girl wrote:This is another one that always appealed to me - http://cateredto.com/le-chateau/
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

fmzip wrote:
GotToGetAway wrote:Not sure if it's in your budget, but for such an occasion maybe you should consider one of the Gibney Beach cottages. If I could redo my honeymoon that would be tops on my list. Anyway, congrats and happy planning.
That cottage sure looks nice. How private is it if there is another cottage right behind it? Have you seen this cottage first hand?
We looked at renting both for a trip two years ago. I have not been inside the cottages, only on the grounds. The cottages are close together. The owner also lives on the property. It remains on our wish list for a future trip.

We rented in Peter Bay in 2008. Two things surprised me.

1 - the beach access sort of sucks. The path is very rocky and uneven. Only the houses down on the bottom are walkable to the beach, the other ones are too far up the hill and the road is crazy steep.

2 - We found the neighborhood to be rather noisy. It is just like a subdivision at home - leaf blowers, delivery trucks, people out on on their decks talking.

Personally, I wouldn't rent in Lower Peter Bay again.

ETA - I just realized that sounds snotty. What I mean to say is that I think Peter Bay rentals get a lot of hype because of the appearance of the huge houses, the "gated" coummunity, and the status. There are as nice of a house to be had in quieter, more peaceful locations that cost a lot less.

I do love that location and would rent in Upper Peter Bay purely for the location on the North Shore.
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

PA Girl wrote:
fmzip wrote:
We looked at renting both for a trip two years ago. I have not been inside the cottages, only on the grounds. The cottages are close together. The owner also lives on the property. It remains on our wish list for a future trip.

We rented in Peter Bay in 2008. Two things surprised me.

1 - the beach access sort of sucks. The path is very rocky and uneven. Only the houses down on the bottom are walkable to the beach, the other ones are too far up the hill and the road is crazy steep.

2 - We found the neighborhood to be rather noisy. It is just like a subdivision at home - leaf blowers, delivery trucks, people out on on their decks talking.

Personally, I wouldn't rent in Lower Peter Bay again.

ETA - I just realized that sounds snotty. What I mean to say is that I think Peter Bay rentals get a lot of hype because of the appearance of the huge houses, the "gated" coummunity, and the status. There are as nice of a house to be had in quieter, more peaceful locations that cost a lot less.

I do love that location and would rent in Upper Peter Bay purely for the location on the North Shore.
I appreciate your honesty....it did not sound snotty.Peacefulness is what I love about St John
Lindy

Friend's August honeymoon at Arc du Soleil

Post by Lindy »

fmzip - A couple that my husband works with just rented Arc du Soleil for their honeymoon in August. Not one word about the lack of A/C - their only complaint was about the bugs in the evenings. Arc du Soleil is an "open concept" villa meaning that the main living areas are not closed off or screened in any way and you have to be aware of that. Even though we had warned this couple about the mosquitos and no-see-ums at dusk this was their only complaint about the villa. The female half of the couple is a germaphobe and normally will sit up all night reading rather than using a bed in a hotel/motel. She said that this villa was so clean that they could practically eat off the floors and she had no issues with actually sleeping in the beds - and that's a HUGE compliment coming from her! They had never been to St. John before and even though Hubby and I had warned them about the bugs I don't think they really took it seriously which may have contributed to the problem because I don't think they came prepared with insect repellant, etc. They RAVED about the amenities and the views, especially at night floating in the infinity edge pool watching the lights come on over St Thomas. Normally they are an "eat out" couple but they preferred to eat in at the villa to take advantage of this almost every night and said the location was extremely romantic for a honeymoon. The bottom line seems to be how much you are "bugged" by the insects. They didn't mention any issues with bugs getting into the bedrooms so those must be closed off sufficiently to keep them out. If you can deal with an hour or two of insect repellant and swatting at dawn and dusk then this might be a place to consider. I picked up some of the plastic repellant wrist bands and the unit with a little fan that clips on your belt tab for my own trip in November. Maybe someone on the forum who has already used them can comment on how well they work.
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Thanks for the info Lindy. Nice to see someone from CT on here!

Just look at the photos closer.....

Very odd floor plan. How in the world do you lock this place up? the living room is literally covered but outdoors.

http://www.arcdusoleil.com/photo.html

Are your friends in CT as well? I sure would like to talk to them if that's possible
Lindy

Post by Lindy »

It's probably no worse than any of the other villas on St. John. None of them lock up tight and I'm sure there are many keys floating around the island for most of them anyhow. If someone REALLY wants to get in they will. That villa is in Virgin Grand Estates which is gated and perhaps keeps maybe a fraction of the riff raff out. I'm sure that the bedroom doors have locks, but even then you have to be smart and not leave any valuables laying around. Use the safe or keep your valuables with you!