Planning to Elope in St John....When should we do it??

Travel discussion for St. John
fmzip

Planning to Elope in St John....When should we do it??

Post by fmzip »

Well we fell in love with St John during our first trip this past February so we decided we must wed there!

We were thinking of April 15th since the rates on villas drop then. We'd like to stay two weeks this time so off season would be ideal. Any advice as to when not to visit during the off season or when to visit?

As far as villas, we stayed at Bay rum breeze which was fantastic. Way too much house for the two of us. We were considering Apito right next door to Bay rum Breeze. We really like the look of Arc Du Soleil http://www.arcdusoleil.com/ . Would be nice to be a little closer to town but desire privacy, peace and quiet and a sunset view.

Any suggestion for the ideal beach wedding for two and suggested luxury villas?

Can't wait to plan this trip! :)
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Hmmmm...Just read Arc does not have air conditioning....that might be a deal breaker
Xislandgirl

Post by Xislandgirl »

First Congratulations on your engagement!
I am in CT as well and a wedding planner here, so feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.

We always travel after the 15th of April, you can not beat the price difference (we will be there 4/21-4/29 if you need a wedding witness) :D

I recommend contacting Ann Marie Porter for your wedding. She is great and will help you navigate the licensing process and help you pick a great spot.

As far as a villa goes, there are so many to choose from. It all depends on your budget and what you must have. Let us know and we will be happy to help you find something!
Knolmom

Elope

Post by Knolmom »

We were married on St John in May 2000. I also recommend contacting Rev Anne Marie Porter ASAP, or at least visiting her website to give you some ideas. Speaking from experience, I believe that it very important for you to determine the dates that Carnival will be held on St Thomas in April/May 2012 if you are thinking of eloping during this time. You will have to pick up your marriage license at the Couthouse in St Thomas when you arrive for your elopement and the government offices often close around Carnival time. It will be important for your officiant to have you complete all the paperwork and assure that your license be completed at least a week before Carnival if you are getting married in April or May. That way you can make an appointment to pick it up when you are certain that the office is open. Calling around carnival time to get any information about your license is always frustrating and sometimes fruitless.
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

Is Carnival an annual thing or only for 2012?

As far as villas, we would like something upscale.

So far Coyoba, Arc Du Soleil and Apito are on the list. We would like to stay under $3500 per week max, off season
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

It is yearly I think the last day of St John carnival is always July 4th

This it the villa I like not to far out and real private :wink:
Tom
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

waterguy wrote:It is yearly I think the last day of St John carnival is always July 4th

This it the villa I like not to far out and real private :wink:
Where's the link?? or is it THAT private ;)

So Carnival goes from April to July?? No one works then?? I need to relocate ASAP
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

The STJ carnival runs from around June 20 through July 4th. I don't know when the STT carnival is. I thought, however, that I saw it in the '90s in the month of November. :?:
JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

54b

Post by 54b »

Congrats on the impending nuptials...I'm assuming when you say, "elope," it's just going to be the two of you and maybe two or three other people at the most including the Official. And if that's the case, I think you could do some out of the way options by taking a boat (power boat and/or dinghy) to the beach location instead of driving and walking to one...if you can do that, here's a few options to consider:

1) Denis Beach - Right below Peace Hill...north shore beach, but not very crowded because it's not really marked. But any local will know where it is. It's only about a 10 to 15 minute boat ride from Cruz bay and if you needed some guests to drive, they could park at Peace Hill parking lot and walk down pretty easily.

2) Reef Bay/Genti Beach - It's located right in the middle of the south shore at the end of the Reef Bay trail. You may see a few hikers, but the numbers are kept down because cars can't get anywhere near it. Again, take a boat and get dropped off for a while.

3) Cobblestone Beach/Salt Pond Bay - Even though it's not sandy, it's still a really neat beach...and if you're really adventurous, your party could go ahead and hike about a half mile up to Ram Head. Can't promise you'd be alone, but there's the outcropping at the end of the Ram Head peninsula is pretty flat and the views are incredible...make for cool spot to tie the knot (just don't take the leap, there anyway :D

If you end up having a lot of people or simply just want to go park and walk a few yards to the beach, I think Hawksnest is probably your best bet.

Have fun and congrats again.
It’s not about yesterday or tomorrow...It’s about today, for come what may – Sun, rain, or hurricane – we've only time for a smile, and none for sorrow
hugo

Post by hugo »

To clarify, St. Thomas Carnival is an annual event, generally in the last week of April, although it can move as far as early May- if Easter is late (as it was this year). I just did a search and came up with April 21th-28th for 2012.
Boxer5

Eloping

Post by Boxer5 »

Check out String of Pearl. Perfect for a couple.
Boxer5
stampede chuck

Post by stampede chuck »

Don't be scared off by no a/c at Arc du Soleil; it has plenty of ceiling and other fans to keep the air moving. We were there in March and had absolutely no problem without a/c. It really is an amazing villa with an amazing layout, a big pool, fantastic sunset views and lots of privacy. And the owners are great hosts too.
Collin
"Packin' up the bathing suits, gettin' out the cowboy boots. That's a sign we must be going home"
waterguy

Post by waterguy »

Sorry about that here is the link

http://www.islandgetawaysinc.com/allesandra.htm
Tom
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

That's reassuring!

Is there beach access from this villa?
stampede chuck wrote:Don't be scared off by no a/c at Arc du Soleil; it has plenty of ceiling and other fans to keep the air moving. We were there in March and had absolutely no problem without a/c. It really is an amazing villa with an amazing layout, a big pool, fantastic sunset views and lots of privacy. And the owners are great hosts too.
fmzip

Post by fmzip »

54b wrote:Congrats on the impending nuptials...I'm assuming when you say, "elope," it's just going to be the two of you and maybe two or three other people at the most including the Official. And if that's the case, I think you could do some out of the way options by taking a boat (power boat and/or dinghy) to the beach location instead of driving and walking to one...if you can do that, here's a few options to consider:

1) Denis Beach - Right below Peace Hill...north shore beach, but not very crowded because it's not really marked. But any local will know where it is. It's only about a 10 to 15 minute boat ride from Cruz bay and if you needed some guests to drive, they could park at Peace Hill parking lot and walk down pretty easily.

2) Reef Bay/Genti Beach - It's located right in the middle of the south shore at the end of the Reef Bay trail. You may see a few hikers, but the numbers are kept down because cars can't get anywhere near it. Again, take a boat and get dropped off for a while.

3) Cobblestone Beach/Salt Pond Bay - Even though it's not sandy, it's still a really neat beach...and if you're really adventurous, your party could go ahead and hike about a half mile up to Ram Head. Can't promise you'd be alone, but there's the outcropping at the end of the Ram Head peninsula is pretty flat and the views are incredible...make for cool spot to tie the knot (just don't take the leap, there anyway :D

If you end up having a lot of people or simply just want to go park and walk a few yards to the beach, I think Hawksnest is probably your best bet.

Have fun and congrats again.
Yes, just us two! Thanks for the great suggestions