Hot Wings, Mosquito Stings and Island Things

Travel discussion for St. John
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

Priceless 8) Looks like Hot Wings "got it"....must have been an amazing experience for you all. Thanks for sharing!!!!!
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

It's funny that you say that, lisa. When we were walking around Cruz Bay before the fireworks on the 4th., I said to her, "you get it." She asked, "I do?" Oh yeah, she gets it!

We made the commitment to take each of the grandchildren on a trip between their junior and senior years. Hot Wings, of course, wanted to go to STJ and learn to dive. The second girl has another 3 years to go, and said she wasn't interested in diving. We expect the third, the boy, will want to go to the Baseball Hall of Fame.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

GraysonDave

Post by GraysonDave »

Nice job on the video. Looks like another great trip.

Sad to find out that the lionfish are making headway despite all the great efforts to keep them at bay.
stampede chuck

Post by stampede chuck »

Great video Jim, lots of good photos. Loved the spotted eagle ray; only one I've seen was the one that swam underneath me in Maui a few years ago. By the way, you guys dove with Low Key didn't you? Was that Jeremy on the back of the dive boat in one of the pictures? You'll have to make sure Hot Wings gets to dive The Rhone some time; it really is a special treat.

Love, love, love "Cowboy Boots and Bathing Suits"!!! Brings a tear to my eye and great memories of St John every time I hear it.
Collin
"Packin' up the bathing suits, gettin' out the cowboy boots. That's a sign we must be going home"
cptnkirk

Post by cptnkirk »

Great song selections for the vid. Really captured the feeling of a vacation on St John when you arrive versus when you wind it down. Cool your grandaughter wants to be a marine biologist. Would have been my dream job for sure. Oh well I'll pretend I'm one for a couple weeks a year.
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

Nice commitment to your grandchildren and a great way to get to know them....better:)
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
jayseadee

Post by jayseadee »

That was great Jim! Glad to see Diana back in the water.

I hope to cross paths with her and the girls in November.
janet
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

GraysonDave, I don't know if the lion fish can be controlled. They have so many places to hide and they reproduce so fast.

Chuck, We did dive with Low Key and that is Jeremy. He and Terry are sharing the captain's role since Bob's problems arose. The Rhone is my favorite dive so far.

I thought about using Zac Brown's "Toes" but Hot Wings requested "Knee Deep" for the music. It also gave me an excuse to use it before someone else did. :wink: "Cowboy Boots and Bathing Suits" is also on my all time favorites list. I also love Walker's story about how he wrote it.

Jayseadee, Diana is making plans for SOTB also. She is ready to go back. I guess we all are ready.

I showed Hot Wings the video yesterday. You could tell by the smiles certain slides generated that she does get it and will be back as soon as she can.

JIM

augie

Post by augie »

I'm glad that you all had such a great trip - after the Bonaire disaster, you certainly had one coming!
Come see us!
Pianogrl

Post by Pianogrl »

What a priceless treasure & cherished family memory you share! Thank you so much for the video...I think we all lived our own "STJ trips" through you.
Thanks again for sharing your story.
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

The telling of the story is almost as much fun as the story itself.....almost.

I am ready to go back and write a new story. 8)

JIM

jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

GraysonDave wrote:Nice job on the video. Looks like another great trip.

Sad to find out that the lionfish are making headway despite all the great efforts to keep them at bay.
There is a story on St John Tadewind News regarding this issue.

http://www.stjohntradewindsnews.com/ind ... &Itemid=38

Since they went to the same general area that we went to when we saw our two lionfish, I am going to assume they got ours. :) They've gotten a total of six out of the area on teh south side of Whistling Cay.

JIM

sea-nile

Post by sea-nile »

Great video! Looks like fun! I wish that I had grandparent's like you when I was 17!