Shots fired mid afternoon in St. John tourist area

Travel discussion for St. John
GraysonDave

Shots fired mid afternoon in St. John tourist area

Post by GraysonDave »

http://virginislandsdailynews.com/news/ ... z1SgnNlemj

Shots rattled a St. John tourist area at 3:06 p.m. Tuesday, initiating a multiple-car chase - which included an auxiliary officer's vehicle - according to unconfirmed 911 reports received by The Daily News.

St. John Deputy Chief Darren Foy said the initial shots remained under investigation Tuesday afternoon, and that he could release no more information.

According to the police blotter, the shots were fired near the Inn at Tamarind Court.

"We're in the process of investigating and canvassing the area," he said.

Police spokeswoman Melody Rames said she had not received information about the shootings.

Later attempts to reach St. Thomas Police Chief Rodney Querrard were unanswered, but he told The Daily News at 5:13 p.m. he was working on the St. John case.

"I'm following up on something on St. John," Querrard said.

Read more: http://virginislandsdailynews.com/news/ ... z1SgnZf4cH
jimg20

Post by jimg20 »

Reminde me where the Inn at Tamerind Court is.

JIM
Man it's like some dream we live down here....

Sunflower

Re: Shots fired mid afternoon in St. John tourist area

Post by Sunflower »

I imagine this report in the St. John Source is the same incident...one of those arrested is Arthur Hercules (of Hercules Pate??)

http://stjohnsource.com/content/news/lo ... t-shooting
loria

Re: Shots fired mid afternoon in St. John tourist area

Post by loria »

Sunflower wrote:I imagine this report in the St. John Source is the same incident...one of those arrested is Arthur Hercules (of Hercules Pate??)

http://stjohnsource.com/content/news/lo ... t-shooting
Mr. hercules is a wee bit longer in the tooth- I cannot imagine him in a gun fight.....
< leaving on the 22nd of march...but too lame to figure out the ticker thing again!>
toni

Post by toni »

tamarind court is up above the roundabout, left hand side of the road going towards starfish (think i have it right :) )
olivias dad

Post by olivias dad »

Yes Tamarind is on the one-way, keep straight at the ballpark/school/roundabout, its seconds from there.

:o
Exit Zero

Post by Exit Zero »

The 2 men arrested were Aswad Pickering age 25 and Arthur Hercules age 24 - certainly not the Hercules pate gentleman.
The crime scene was in front of Kilroy's Laundry and Tamarind Inn. A feud turned into a gunfight.
Bandit

Post by Bandit »

The travel forum www.virgin-islands-on-line.com indicated that “shots fired midafternoon in tourist area.” The description overstates the location because it’s several blocks out of the Cruz Bay restaurant and shopping area. However, the Inn at Tamarind Court hotel is adjacent to the laundry.
No Ms. Lohr, I think the entire Island of St. John IS a tourist area. Tourists rent Villas all over the entire island and travel most every road on said island going to beaches, restaurants, and shops. Nothing on this Forum was "overstated." Admit you have a problem and address it. Continue to ignore it and your tourist business goes somewhere else!
iowaguy

Post by iowaguy »

I am sorry to hear about this. Isn't Aswad Pickering part of Inner Visions? I really enjoy their music.
---Jim
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

Exit Zero wrote:The 2 men arrested were Aswad Pickering age 25 and Arthur Hercules age 24 - certainly not the Hercules pate gentleman.
The crime scene was in front of Kilroy's Laundry and Tamarind Inn. A feud turned into a gunfight.
Interestingly, a few years ago when staying at the Tamarind, I was out for a walk when a woman stopped me on the sidewalk across from the laundry. She begged me to never go in there because "bad people hang around this place". She did not elaborate but was so adamant about it that I assured her I would not. The memory of that conversation has stayed with me and I always think about it whever I pass the laundry...
StJohnRuth

Post by StJohnRuth »

ccasebolt wrote:
Interestingly, a few years ago when staying at the Tamarind, I was out for a walk when a woman stopped me on the sidewalk across from the laundry. She begged me to never go in there because "bad people hang around this place". She did not elaborate but was so adamant about it that I assured her I would not. The memory of that conversation has stayed with me and I always think about it whever I pass the laundry...
ccasebolt,
The woman who told you that "bad people" hang out at the Inn at Tamatind Court was probably one of our local characters who had not taken her medication that day. There is a lady who says and does things like that regularly based on nothing related to reality except in her own mind.
The Inn at Tamarind Court is a reputable business and is not known as a place where "bad people" hang out.

This incident had nothing at all to do with the Inn at Tamarind Court except that in the police blotter and all subsequent reports this was the location given. The people involved were outside in a nearby parking lot and on the road, not inside the Inn.
Charlie2001

Post by Charlie2001 »

In "Feet, Fins, & Four Wheel Drive" the author advises folks to stay clear of the area near the basketball courts at night. There is mention of gang activity and incidents of rocks being thrown at tourists.

We stopped for gas one evening and there was plenty of activity at the courts, but we never felt the least bit unsafe. Nor did we feel unsafe when sitting at Candi's waiting for some BBQ. But this warning, in print, seems to give some more emphasis to that general area being "unsafe"
toes in the sand

Post by toes in the sand »

ccasebolt wrote:Interestingly, a few years ago when staying at the Tamarind, I was out for a walk when a woman stopped me on the sidewalk across from the laundry. She begged me to never go in there because "bad people hang around this place". She did not elaborate but was so adamant about it that I assured her I would not. The memory of that conversation has stayed with me and I always think about it whever I pass the laundry...
I had a similar sounding experience in 2007 when a woman stopped me on the street along the fenced parking lot across from what used to be the open air bar at the bottom of the hill near the Lumberyard. She told me not to go there, those people are bad people. She was kept insisting until I thanked her and promised not to go there.
"got a drink in my hand and my toes in the sand"
Pia

Post by Pia »

I agree with Ruth - there is one lady that comes to mind (and I'm sure it is the same one Ruth is talking about) that when off her meds can be very, very intent on getting her point across - which can vary from day to day.

Pia
Realtor - St John Properties
ccasebolt

Post by ccasebolt »

StJohnRuth wrote:
ccasebolt wrote:
ccasebolt,
The woman who told you that "bad people" hang out at the Inn at Tamatind Court was probably one of our local characters who had not taken her medication that day. There is a lady who says and does things like that regularly based on nothing related to reality except in her own mind.
The Inn at Tamarind Court is a reputable business and is not known as a place where "bad people" hang out.

This incident had nothing at all to do with the Inn at Tamarind Court except that in the police blotter and all subsequent reports this was the location given. The people involved were outside in a nearby parking lot and on the road, not inside the Inn.
Sorry Ruth, I guess I didn't make it clear. The woman was talking about the laundromat. She told me that bad people hang around the laundromat. I was staying at Tamarind at the time and love both the inn and restaurant. You're probably right about the woman's condition as her request seemed very strange at the time and in retrospect. I don't know anything about the laundromat but figured she may have had a beef with someone there.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.