What are you reading?

A place for members to talk about things outside of Virgin Islands travel.
mbw1024

Post by mbw1024 »

I just finished a book called Pictures of You. It is still sort of with me.
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Post by Marcia (Mrs. Pete) »

mbw1024 wrote:I just finished a book called Pictures of You. It is still sort of with me.
Ahhhhh, book hangover. I like that. "Once Upon A River" is still we me, too. Not sure I'm happy with the ending but, it left me thinking...
Marcia (Mrs. Pete)

Missing St. John. As always.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

Currently reading "The Devil's Highway" and can't put it down. Written after obvious extensive research about a group of men trying to cross the border into the US near Arizona.

It is totally engrossing.
LysaC

Post by LysaC »

reading "Let Me In" orginally titles "Let the Right One In". Recently a movie.

Really good scary creepy book. no fluff here. reminds me of early Stepne King.
AH

Post by AH »

“No Country for Old Men” by Cormac McCarthy. Lots of violence, sort of reminded me of something Stephen King would write.

AH
Backtotheislands

Post by Backtotheislands »

Currently reading Isle of Palms, but got a lot of good suggestions from this topic!
AH

Post by AH »

"The Life and times of a Baby Boomer" by L.K. Campbell. Short book about the author's experiences growing up in the 60's.
AH
sailorgirl

Post by sailorgirl »

"To Big to Fail" scary!
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

I really enjoyed The Blue Orchard. While it is fiction, the characters are based on real people. A woman in my book club knew many of the people in the book.

Anyone that liked The Help would probably enjoy The Blue Orchard. It has a similar attention to detail and was set in the same time period.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Wasn't sure I'd enjoy The Help. Loved the author's style of writing....now I can't wait to see the movie. (something I don't usually do since they always ruin the story) I'll have to check out The Blue Orchard.
toni

Post by toni »

Think somebody mentioned before the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series by George RR Martin which the HBO series A Games of Thrones is based on (first book). I'd read some of these when they first came out but am reading them again so as to refresh my brain and finish the series-on the 3rd one now.

The HBO series did a really nice job following the book-so much info to cover! Great acting too.

Probably the only bad thing is you get to like some of the characters so much and things can go brutally wrong for them.
Laura T

Post by Laura T »

Have been reading this group's recommendations for quite a while...thanks!

Just finished Gone for Good (Harlan Coben) - always like his books and thought this was one of his best. Lots of twists and turns.

Recommend Rocket Man...funny book.

Last month read Those Who Save Us...WWII fiction. Thought it was very good.

Just started Mennonite in a Little Black Dress. So far, so good.
liamsaunt

Post by liamsaunt »

I am still....still reading the Song of Ice and Fire books! I am on book five now. It has been over a month! I did take a break while on St. John and read some other stuff, with mixed results:

Lunch in Paris: Elizabeth Bard. Whiny, annoying, spoiled rotten narrator! She drove me crazy!

Sweet Life in Paris: David Lebowitz. Much better! Very enjoyable book and some good recipes also.

Some Girls: Jillian Lauren. This is a memoir of a woman who lived in the younger brother of the Sultan of Brunei's harem for a year. Definitely not relatable, but it was kind of interesting.

Skeletons at the Feast: Chris Bohjailan. I really liked this one. It is a little sad and dark, but a good read nonetheless.

The Postmistress: Sarah Blake. Just OK. Of the two WW2 stories I read on vacation, I preferred Skeletons at the Feast.
It's like looking in your soup and finding a whole different alphabet.
AH

Post by AH »

"Bill Bryson's African Diary". Very short read but the royalties & profits from the book go to CARE International so I figure it was money well spent.
AH
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

AH wrote:"Bill Bryson's African Diary". Very short read but the royalties & profits from the book go to CARE International so I figure it was money well spent.
AH
I really enjoy Bryson, I will check that one out.