Menu for kids?

Travel discussion for St. John
needmesomesun

Menu for kids?

Post by needmesomesun »

Was wondering which restaurants might have dinner menu's for children? Or restaurants that might offer half portions for them?

I think we can figure lunch out, but don't really know where to start with dinner.

Thanks!
bert

Post by bert »

They mostly all have kids menus - you may have to request when you get there.

peace.... bert
RickG

Post by RickG »

The only place we've had cop an attitude about kids is Zozos. They don't get my business anymore, even now that my youngest is 14.

La Tapa has some off-menu items, my kids loved the spaghetti with olive oil and garlic when they were little. They have small plate style appetizers too that work well - think grilled shrimp and steak skewers.

La Plancha is always very accommodating and I've had them say "what do you like?" and whip something up.

Sogo's has a kids menu and conch with butter sauce. They also have goat curry, so you can put some kid in your kid.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
RickG

Post by RickG »

Hercules! My kids love Johnnycake, me too. $2 each.

Cheers, RickG
S/V Echoes - Coral Bay - St. John, VI
needmesomesun

Post by needmesomesun »

Thanks for the suggestions! We were really hoping we could go to La Plancha for one meal and it looks like my niece and nephew will be able to find something good there too. We'd also like to try Cactus on the Blue and one more meal out....

I think their favorite is going to be Vie's for lunch with all the chickens, etc.
flip-flop

Post by flip-flop »

We've had good luck with kid-options at Rhumblines, Skinny's, Island Blues, and Shipwreck Landing.

Everyone, for the most part, will work with you.
needmesomesun

Post by needmesomesun »

Oh good! We love Rhumblines. Thanks.
piscesgirl0314

Post by piscesgirl0314 »

We've had no issue with any restaurants having kids menus...Lime Inn, Cafe' Roma...all very kid friendly...Rick G, I heard the same thing about Zozo's...that being said, if my childs not welcome, they won't get our business either... :wink:
PA Girl

Post by PA Girl »

Zozo's definately does not want kids at their restaurant. Each year when I make reservations, they are very concerned that I might be sneaking a kid into the restaurant.

We were at Zozo's last winter, party of 8 adults and our son. (this was the first time we took him to Zozo's because the grandparents weren't along on this trip.)

I ordered off the menu for our son, no special requests, and the waiter spent a great deal of time arguing with me, telling me that my son would not eat the dish. (I think it was duck with a pasta.) It really irritated me. He basically refused to take our order because he disagreed with my choice for my son. The manager was involved.

I nearly burst with pride when our son not only ate his meal but then helped us finish ours. The manager came over, commented on his willingness to try everything and said something like he was the best little kid guest he ever had in the restaurant.

An adult in our group asked for a children's menu and the same waiter gave her a lecture about not having a children's menu, they expect people to order off the main menu and so on. He eventually agreed to let her order plain pasta. (I do understand how special requests can disrupt the kitchen but then just say special requests aren't possible, save the lecture.)

The whole experience was a little nutty. We eat at Zozo's each trip but I think we may need a break next trip.

All other restaurants were very accomodating to fixing dishes for our son. I always kept my requests simple - like asking for the fish sausage appet with buttered pasta at the Lime Inn or a pasta with garlic/olive oil with whatever small portion of protein the chef has on hand at La Tapa.