Planning a 2012 vacation?

Travel discussion for St. John
GotToGetAway

Planning a 2012 vacation?

Post by GotToGetAway »

We've got airline tickets on 24 hour hold, and our dates have been blocked off on the availability calendar for the villa-

Holy Cow! I think I may have a 2012 ticker!!!

But, I've never planned a vacation this far in advance before. What happens if things change (new job, family problems, etc) and the timing isn't going to work well anymore. I mean, I don't even have my kids' school calendar yet.
But, the airfare is the lowest I've seen this far in advance and we have our 1st choice of villas.

So do we throw caution to the wind and make it official, or wait and chance losing our villa and/or paying more for airfare?
Tickerless :(
byado18

Post by byado18 »

Go for it BUT buy good trip insurance!
bdkane

Post by bdkane »

Go for it- I own a couple of timeshares and need to book way out in advance often to ensure availability - it always seems to work out
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I always plan that far out, and I buy trip insurance! :)
CariBert

Post by CariBert »

Since we use frequent flyer miles, we have to plan that far out! The only draw back is, most of the villas don't show the availablity of the rental places more than 11 or 12 months out. But we have to secure the airline tickets pretty early on, and it seems to work out well for us! Go for it! :D

-Bert
The liver is evil, it must be punished!

kma27

Post by kma27 »

Go for it! I also own a timeshare (for February) and usually buy my airline tickets in June of the year before. It has always worked out (so far/12 years). I find that if you wait too long, either the tickets are too expensive and you risk the chance of not being able to get seats on the flights that suit you best/or at least not seats that are together.
strat62

Post by strat62 »

once i get my dates set i like to book asap. i like to be able to pick from the best available departure times/layovers/seats/airports/prices, etc. have never gotten the trip ins. but it's probably not a bad idea as it's not all that expensive? do need to see what is actually covered though if you elect to get it.

if we are traveling at a busy time (spring break, christmas...) it's even more important. seems like stuff fills up fast.
lisa mcg

Post by lisa mcg »

I booked the villa almost a year in advance for 2012...just booked air last week. For the 1st time, I bought trip insurance, just in case. Go for it 8)
all you have to do is smile, smile, smile
lpowmacback

Post by lpowmacback »

Like many have said - I too always make arrangements for trips in advance- usually around 8-9 months... and as stated - if paying for things up front, buy trip insurance (not when staying @ a hotel where you don't pay until you go home).

One other little thing to be aware of- the hotel tax is going up for STJ - so what is now 8% will be 10% - not sure exactly when though. I paid 50% of my villa including the current 8% - but know that when it comes time to pay the balance (Jan, since we're going in March), I'll most likely be responsible for that extra 2%.
Peace,

Lisa
GotToGetAway

Post by GotToGetAway »

Alright, everyone helped give me the impetus to got for it.

Tickets are PURCHASED!!!
Villa is RESERVED!!

Next is the Jeep rental.

Thanks everyone!
Tickerless :(
lpowmacback

Post by lpowmacback »

Yay!! Congratulations!!!
Peace,

Lisa
EagleRayLover

Post by EagleRayLover »