I LIKE the new "LIKE" button!

Travel discussion for St. John
Pickle

Post by Pickle »

Not sure about a "thumbs down" button. I would prefer people "commenting" their disagreement or whatever than just "hitting" a thumbs down button, regardless of whether anonymous or a forum name attached.

I may be in the minority here, but personally, I don't particularly care for either button. People might start hitting a button instead of commenting (I like the interaction aspect of the forum). But then, if you don't feel like commenting, you can just hit a button and let people know at least you like it. Or the buttons might lure out the lurkers who are not quite comfortable commenting yet.

I will support whatever you decide, Anthony.
BRY1105

Post by BRY1105 »

Pickle wrote:People might start hitting a button instead of commenting (I like the interaction aspect of the forum).
I can see that happening too which wouldn't be good. Commenting is how everyone shares the information we all have.
Bryan
California Girl

Post by California Girl »

I don't think people will stop posting if there's a like button. It works very well on Facebook, and it doesn't seem to keep people from posting. Sometimes I would like someone to know I like their post, but I just don't have a comment to make, then I hit the "like" button. :D
Lex

Post by Lex »

Pickle may be in the minority, but she's not alone. I prefer the old-fashioned approach of people actually communicating directly with one another . I'd prefer to know specifically what someone did or didn't like about my post. I only take time to respond to posts that I care enough about. A thumb up or down is pretty superficial and non-specific. Clicking "Like" "or "Don't like" is meaningless. Tallying how many people "like" my post is kind of crazy. Caring about how many people "like" my post is really crazy and also irrelevant. Giving and getting thoughtful feedback is rich and meaningful and human.

But I'm aware that I'm not doing a good job of keeping up with of the social media revolution. My wife and I share one cellphone and I'm rarely the one carrying it. I don't have a Facebook account and wish that Facebook had used a word other than "friend" to designate those relationships. I think of friendship as a pretty special thing and "Facebook friendship" trivializes it. I actually remember handwritten letters that were sent through the mail. I still have some. Some are those funny blue airmail letters. What may astonish some folks is that my life runs quite well. When we go on vacation we don't bring a laptop, we turn off the phone and put it away in a suitcase. We don't find somewhere to check emails. We avoid televisions and newspapers. We do without all of the things that seem so necessary and home and we're perfectly content.

To try to get back on topic, I can see the "Like" button but it's nothing that I care about or will use.
teefal

Post by teefal »

I just tried to "Like" the last post, partly because I agree and partly because of the irony of it.

I then saw that it marked me as liking every post in the thread and quickly "unliked" the post.

Definitely would like to "like" individual posts, not whole threads.
Anthony
Site Admin

Post by Anthony »

All the feedback has been great and it is so informative... thanks. Still not sure how this will end, or what solution I will implement, if any.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Wed Jul 12, 2023 10:28 am.
Anthony for Virgin Islands On Line